Starting June 17, Sam & Max Save the World on XBLA!

EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
edited August 2009 in Sam & Max
The first season of Sam & Max games -- which has been renamed Sam & Max Save the World -- will be arriving on Xbox LIVE Arcade on Wednesday, June 17. Details available here.

Those of you who have been hanging around here a while know that this has been a long time coming. I remember three years ago when the internet erupted with rumors that Sam & Max would be coming to Xbox. I even had a run-in with a guy at Comic Con in 2007 who earnestly tried to convince me that it was true ("I read it on the internet!!!") and that I should get in touch with Telltale's PR department for proof. Ah, good times.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Christ, Telltale must have an endless stream of release parties these days. Great price btw, wasn't expecting that.
  • edited June 2009
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
  • edited June 2009
    Looking forward to it :-)

And when will Sam & Max: Beyond Time & Space (season 2), as promoted on this site's GAMES page, be released on XBLA? I bet there's another announcement coming soon!

http://www.telltalegames.com/games
  • langleylangley Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    Christ, Telltale must have an endless stream of release parties these days. Great price btw, wasn't expecting that.

If by "release party" you mean free cupcakes in the kitchen, then we do... sometimes...

But we pass the savings on to you.
  • edited June 2009
    I may get it for the PC, now that you've dropped the price, with my next paycheck! As much as I think it would be great on the 360, the extra content for the PC is definitely worth the S+H.

I didn't think my PC could handle the series, but it does pretty good despite how old it is.

Sorry, thought about getting it for the 360 and I just changed my own mind in the process! lol

One of my friends have been wanting to check this out, so I'll have to tell him it's on the 360 now since his computer is becoming a part of COPS.
  • edited June 2009
    Here's a question on my mind, are the achievements like beat episode 1 etc... or are they like the did you try list or what.
    EDIT: nevermind, there already is a froum for that question.

EDIT: IT'S OUT. Wow I beat Telltale at the announcement that it's out.
  • edited June 2009
    Ok, two Questions:

Why does the game suffer from performance hicups and stuttering issues in the 360?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjJggEL5SUE

And why did you not include languages like german if it was already recorded for the pc?

this keeps many people from buying it for the console. Shame on you!

And for everyone who can speak german I wrote an article about this problems:

http://www.marctv.de/blog/2009/06/18/sam-max-save-the-world/
  • edited June 2009
    Performance Hiccupps were on the wii version, I didn't notice it but it kept the season from good reviews.

I'm afraid this will have the same fate. Hopefully S&MBT&S improves
  • edited June 2009
    They could just release a patch. Many people will hold back because of this issues...
  • edited June 2009
    No. As I stated, they are hardly noticeable imo.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    The lack of localized voices is due largely to size. If we had included voices the game would be something like 4 times larger than it currently is. As it is, we are one of the biggest games on XBLA.
  • edited June 2009
    any plans to patch? or is this a deep-down, too-hard-to-fix-problem?
  • edited June 2009
    ASide from Portal and

WATCHMEN
  • edited June 2009
    baby-backs are better
  • edited June 2009
    Now is not the time to discuss my username.

Now is a good time.
  • edited June 2009
    MarcDK wrote: »
    They could just release a patch. Many people will hold back because of this issues...

I doubt that. I'm from Germany too and I would absolutely hate it to have a German translation only (due to size restricitions on Live). This is clearly the best solution. Who would want to play a game based on humour in a translation, which would be clearly worse than the original thing anyway?

I doubt that this holds back *many* users...
    I hope Telltale continue with their XBL releases like this.
    I have to agree though about the poor performance. Why is everything loaded from the HD in the moment it's activated - why isn't the whole level pre-cached?!? Don't tell me the 360 can't handle it.
  • edited June 2009
    Picky,picky, picky.
  • edited June 2009
    Shim wrote: »
    I doubt that. I'm from Germany too and I would absolutely hate it to have a German translation only (due to size restricitions on Live). This is clearly the best solution. Who would want to play a game based on humour in a translation, which would be clearly worse than the original thing anyway?

I doubt that this holds back *many* users...
    I hope Telltale continue with their XBL releases like this.
    I have to agree though about the poor performance. Why is everything loaded from the HD in the moment it's activated - why isn't the whole level pre-cached?!? Don't tell me the 360 can't handle it.

of course I meant a choice between different languages. My problem is that a german translation exists but we can't use it.

Ok, when will they release a patch for the performance problem? A few news mags have already picked the story up and keep people from buying the game.
  • edited June 2009
    Is it just me or have you guys updated the models for the XBLA version? It looks like they have better shading.

EDIT: By the way Giant Bomb are giving away some codes for the season! But you should act fast!
  • edited June 2009
    Is it just me or have you guys updated the models for the XBLA version? It looks like they have better shading.

EDIT: By the way Giant Bomb are giving away some codes for the season! But you should act fast!

Too late, contest's over.
  • edited June 2009
    I own the PC version. Any reasons as to why I ought to buy this on Xbox?
  • edited June 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »

Unlike the original, It runs in widescreen and I think it has a higher resolution but I'm not sure. Then there's achievements.
  • edited June 2009
    Woo, finished the whole season on Xbox today! I'm such a geek!
  • edited July 2009
    Finished the Season last night for the first time and went back got some achievements I missed today.

Loved it. :)
  • edited July 2009
    Collected all the achievements, and managed to crack into the top 25 on the leaderboard list on my first playthrough.

So, sooo glad you guys brought this to XBLA. I understand this has been an uphill battle and a struggle to make this possible, but you did it, and damn near got 10k downloads out of it as well.

Congratulations Telltale. :). Hope to see more and more of your work on the arcade soon.
  • edited July 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »

The achievements would be the only reason to buy the 360 version instead of any others.. But if you already own it, there's no point unless you really want to give the developers more money :P
  • edited July 2009
    Allow me to congratulate Telltale on a succesfull release. There are 12103 users on the leaderboard, meaning they have generated Over 240 Thousand Dollars of Revenue. That is a lot of money.
  • edited July 2009
    Any reason to buy the PC version over the 360 version? I think I read that you can get a DVD of the games if you get the PC version but I'm not too clear on it.

I don't own either yet and was considering getting this after I finish Monkey Island (which I think comes out Wednesday).
  • edited July 2009
    PC Version of Sam and Max Season 1 - if you buy the full season (quite cheap at the moment), you can get the DVD with exclusive Steve Purcell cover for just the cost of shipping. The DVD has several bonus features - soundtrack samplers, cutscene videos with several commentaries, easter eggs etc. There was also a Case File but they have completely sold out.

XBLA edition of Sam and Max Save The World has widescreen support (PC S1 doesn't).

The game content is, of course, the same.
  • edited July 2009
    Played the demo. HELLA TIGHT! To bad i already have it on wii.
  • edited July 2009
    I hope Beyond Time and Space comes out soon :D
  • edited August 2009
    Same here!!
  • edited August 2009
    I don't have the collection yet but my cousin has.I borrowed it to her but i will buy as soon as i have enough money for it.I'm getting more excited as the released by xbox this year.
  • edited August 2009
    Is there any realese date for Same & Max Season 2 for Xbox Live. Really looking forward to playing these episodes but want to wait til they arive at 360. Even though my patience is running low.
  • edited August 2009
    Zyrocz wrote: »
    Is there any realese date for Same & Max Season 2 for Xbox Live. Really looking forward to playing these episodes but want to wait til they arive at 360. Even though my patience is running low.

Nothing official, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's around the time of the release of the Wii version (i.e. Fall), or after Wallace & Gromit is finished.

I've already given in and ordered the Softcover Special. :p
Sign in to comment in this discussion.