Outcome, Reactions Do Not Reflect Previous Decisions. Incorrect Flags and States. Suggestion.

edited February 2015 in Game Support

In my game of The Walking Dead Season 1 Episode 2 "Starved for Help", when the survivor group arrived at the St. John Dairy, Lily thanked Lee for siding with her back at the motel inn... except my Lee did NOT side with her. My Lee remained neutral during the argument between Lily and Kenny when they brought back survivors from the wood. So I assume the game had set the wrong flag for the decision I had made for Lee, or my save files have been corrupted. (I did give food to Larry, but that decision should have been considered as siding with Lily.)

A similar problem had happened once before: at the beginning of Season 1 Episode 2, when Clementine mentioned that Lee had said her parents would NOT find her. Except my Lee had said the opposite in Episode 1, that her parents would find her. So the game had incorrectly flagged the decision I had made for Lee. I rewinded to Episode 1 to the point where Clementine and Lee had the conversation about her parents and made the same choice again. After the rewind, Clementine correctly mentioned my choice. (I also tried rewinding to the argument between Lily and Kenny, which did not fix Lily's incorrect reaction later. Which really ticked me off.)

The decision flags and state settings in the game seem to be, unreliable. As they usually are for games of this nature, (i.e., TellTale and BioWare games in particular.)

I noticed that a sequence of save files in the "/Documents/TellTale Games/The Walking Dead" folder. I assume those files maintain the flags for decisions I made at various points in the game. Is there a way for me to peek into those files to check what and how the decision flags were set? I am asking because I would have to closely monitor those save files to make sure my decisions are being flagged correctly. It would be easier for me to rewind immediately when I discover a problem, rather than rewind to a long way back to fix an incorrect flag from way, way back.

If TellTale does not already have a tool for us to check save files and decision flags, TellTale should really starting working on a tool for us to do so. So much of TellTale games is about flagging decisions and states. Give us a file viewer to check saved states and decision flags so it would be easier for us to check for problems, to pinpoint any incorrect flags, to easily rewind and fix the problems in TellTale games. Maybe let us alter and check/uncheck individual states and flags if we identify any problems, so we would not have to go through the pains for replaying the game to fix incorrect flags and states. The tool would be useful for all Telltale games to come. In fact, BioWare and other studios should also work on such a tool. It would be such a useful tool for end users. I do not understand why they have not already thought of giving us such a tool. You guys would never be able to debug all the flagging problems in a game before it is released. Might as well give your customer the tool to alleviate our headaches and make post-release debugging easier for yourself.

This discussion has been closed.