Sam and Max Vista 64 bit load times

edited July 2009 in Game Support
I already played all of season one on an older computer, but now wanted to replay season one before moving on to Ice Station Santa.

Problem is, entering a new room is about a 30 second wait. Bringing up the main menu is well over a minute's wait. I can't see what could be causing this at all.
I assume games could be finished this way, but the wait gets so annoying. Don't know if this is just Situation Comedy, or all the games.

Running on Vista Premium 64 bit. All games ran fine on old Vista Basic. Have already tried compatability modes and administrator settings.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Unfortunately, 64 bit isn't technically a supported operating system, so we don't have any in the office for me to fiddle with. I honestly can't say what could be causing the slow load times.
  • edited June 2009
    I just d/led Sam & Max Season 2 Episode 1 and am having the same issue. It freezes for 20-30 seconds a lot. Screen loading, opening the save tool bar, etc. I am using Vista 64 also.

I just bought the Monkey Island pre-order and if this is going to happen with that game as well, I am going to cancel the order. It's really bad.
  • edited June 2009
    I've even tried running the episode in Compatibility mode.. still 30 second freezes on opening the tool bar.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    The system has changed pretty drastically since season 2, so I honestly can't say how it will play. As far as I know, 64 still isn't technically supported but it might work ok. At any rate, if it doesn't work we will be happy to provide you with a refund. Same goes for Sam&Max of course. Just send an email to support@telltalegames.com
  • edited June 2009
    I have never had any problems with the Telltale games on my Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit machine. The web launcher likes to crash every now and then, but the games themselves run just fine. I keep my audio/video drivers updated, and being on Windows Vista, downloaded the DirectX End-User Runtimes, which contains otherwise missing DirectX 9 components that a lot of games rely on.

You might also try defragmenting your hard drive (Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Administrative Tools), and ensuring that no unwanted background programs are running (Right Click Toolbar > Task Manager).

The only other recommendation that I can think of would be to try reinstalling the games.
  • edited June 2009
    I'll try the direct x download as I really like the Sam and Max game. Hopefully that will fix it.
  • edited June 2009
    Will wrote: »
    The system has changed pretty drastically since season 2, so I honestly can't say how it will play. As far as I know, 64 still isn't technically supported but it might work ok. At any rate, if it doesn't work we will be happy to provide you with a refund. Same goes for Sam&Max of course. Just send an email to support@telltalegames.com

Thanks Will, I hope I can fix the issues because I like the game and I feel I'll love Monkey Island.
  • edited June 2009
    Okay.. I think I found the problem.. I can't play in full screen mode. When playing in windowed mode the game does not freeze when the tool bar gear is selected.

The only freeze comes when loading a new area.. but it's MUCH shorter than before.
  • edited July 2009
    I seem to be having the same issue here and it's really quite infuriating. Adding to the frustration that the usual freezing would bring is that fact that it doesn't do it consistently. Sometimes the game is perfectly playable; each area comes up almost instantly and the game runs smoothly. But then, sometimes it gets stuck. This seems to have a chilling effect for me. Rather than freely exploring the areas I try to find a solution in my current room in hopes that I don't have to go somewhere else and have the game lock up.

I have stumbled upon a rather obnoxious solution, however, if I minimize the game using Alt+Enter and then bring it back up it I seem to overcome the freeze.

Of course, that's a tremendously obnoxious solution and certainly disrupts any sort of immersion the game would normally allow.

Sigh.

Thankfully this hasn't been a problem with Tales of Monkey Island... and I don't think it's an issue in Strong Bad either.

But... you know, I want to play Sam and Max :(
This discussion has been closed.