The Walking Dead: Exposed (Interactive Fan-Fiction) Character Submissions Open

edited March 2015 in Forum Games

So... I thought I might give story a go while I wait in anticipation for season 3. I want to explore writing and develop my skills in this area, so any feedback on my material will be hugely appreciated. And, like others on this forum, I will use characters suggested by you guys in my story. Feel free to add characters below in the comments. Add details such as:

Age/Appearance: Your personal preferences for this, not too fussed.

Personality: Very important as it will be tailored to fit the overall story arc. Also will influence the main character's interactions with them.

Backstory: Quite important. As much detail as you can in this section would be great as I can modify character interactions based on their previous experiences.

Other: Any other pieces of info you feel will be useful in telling the story of your chosen character.

By adding your character, you understand that they can die at any point in the story and can be subject to play either a major or minor part in the overall story. They can also be added in at any point during the story.

Also, I may use other character POV's which could be yours, so the more detail you give, the higher chance it will be yours.

The story will be told from the POV of Craig Carr, a 21 year old British sports journalist who moved to America as an exchange student in 2007, 4 years before the break-out. He had always struggled in occasions where decisions had to be made that could affect those closest to him. Now, his future decisions could be the difference between life and death, for himself and those around him. Plagued by the ghosts of his troubled past, he must learn to accept the decisions he has made and will make when responsibility is thrust upon him, by himself and others who make demands he simply cannot meet.

Virginia will be the initial location but you should fully expect other places to be explored as the story progresses.

I haven't really got a set schedule for adding to each chapter, but I will begin once I feel I have enough characters to work with for chapter 1. A lot will be dependent on if i'm busy with other work, but I'll try to keep you updated as I go along.

Chapter 1: A New Start

Chapter 2: Ascend

Chapter 3: Follow

Chapter 4: Assault

Chapter 5: Ruin

The Prologue

"Get a move on, we're gonna miss the rest of the game at this rate!"

Of course. Can't keep Tom from his entertainment for the sake of my comfort can I?

"What's gonna happen bro? we've been away for a minute" I retorted.

"When your kids say the same to you when you're grown up, you'll wonder why they didn't tell you they were close to peeing in their underwear at half time. Come on..."

I couldn't help but laugh. After all, it was his duty to watch over me. We had agreed on this on our way to the stadium. Thinking about it, my dad was either psychic or just knew through experience that a 85th minute toilet trip was inevitable. The toilets at Old Trafford weren't exactly in the cleanest state either, through sight or smell. This undoubtedly didn't help ease Tom's anxiety. BANG... nope, definitely not.

"Alright, alright!! I'm finished!" I promptly exited the cubicle.

Tom was off in a flash, with me bringing up the rear. The long journey to tier 3 of the Stretford End became mysteriously shorter. As the chants grew louder and louder, my anticipation grew in tandem. It was just the effect this place had... Magical. The two stewards were too engaged in the action to even notice the 'kick me' sticker a passing fan placed on his coat. It was a testament to the sheer power and influence of football.

"Over here Tom, quickly now"
Dad ushered us from the stairs to our seats, the rain still pouring down onto the lush, green pitch below. It seemed to make it shimmer in the floodlights illuminating the ground.

"Oh great, we haven't missed a goal" Tom began.

"Yeah, but our Scholes pulled up during a sprint mate. He's been taken off" Sam laughed.

"Don't matter, he's been shit anyway" Tom replied.

"Language!!"

"Are you effing serious Dad? with all those Liverpool chants going on in the background, you should be proud that this is the only swear word I used" Tom shouted.

I knew Dad was kidding. He's always been more lenient than Mum. She once banned Tom from television for two weeks when he didn't come back from his friends party until after midnight. Let him be, my Dad would say. He is a teenager after all. I'm only ten, but I know what that means. His acne still hasn't cleared up from his ordeal.

"He's in space, you useless wanker!!"
"Fucking hell!!"
"Will be years before he gets near the team again"

I got the point of the shouts. We were playing terribly so far, only managing to get one shot on target all game. Liverpool were in control and on course for a famous win, which would mean little to me. I can't control the game. But everyone was just... angry. Exasperated. Like each mistake was another knife plunged into the hearts of the people who dared to love this team more than life itself.

"Dad, can't you make them shut up? They are trying." I asked.

"Craig, I can't make 70,000 people shut up because you want them to. This is what happens when we are not playing well" Dad explained.

"Shouldn't Fergie be helping them? He is the manager after all" I said.

"There's only so much he can do. He can shout, tell them what to do and encourage them all he wants. In the end, they have to get it done on the pitch"

"I know, but he always get blamed all the time... and it's not his fault".
That could not be more true. I've seen the infamous 'Tara Fergie" headlines of 1989. My dad was banging the same drum on that occasion too.

"Part of being the manager is taking the blame off your players when they are not doing well. That's what a good manager does."

"What, they take the blame for idiots?" Tom joked.

"They're professionals, Tom. Everyone has a bad day sometimes" Dad exclaimed.

"Personally, I can't wait to be paid thousands of pounds for misplacing a... YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

We scored!! We finally scored!! I suddenly understood. All the anguish of a potential away victory... snatched away. All the mistakes of the last 89 minutes, evaporating in the cheers of 70,000 strong... magical...

"We'll never die, we'll never die! We'll never die, we'll never die. We'll keep the Red flag flying high, Cos Man United will never die..."

My favorite chant ever! Being sung on our way out of only our second trip to this glorious stadium. Sheer ecstasy. Didn't stop my Dad from hightailing from the stands though as soon as the final whistle blew.

"Come on now, the next tram's coming soon" Dad's voice barely audible among the countless fans marching down Busby Way.

"We're 10 minutes away, we can wait, surely. Them burgers are calling!" Tom laughed.

"No we can't. Trains from Piccadilly stop after 11."

The bodies all around us did not help a bit. Some were lagging behind to celebrate on the streets, magazines stands now unoccupied in preparation for the carnage. I was pushed and pulled like a rag doll, side to side, back and forth, as we looked for an exit.

"Craig, grab my hand and don't let go, ok?"
Dad's grip was strong. Assuring.

"Ok, I"

WHACK. I was suddenly forced onto the pathway.

"YEY!!!"

"United! United!"

"Dad? DAD!?" I shouted. I may as well had been another adult, as passing fans took little interest, some drunk, some ignorant. My breathing became shorter. Heavier. A sense of dread filled my body. I had no way out. The sound of the tram grew louder... louder... I had to get on it. Even if my Dad was not there. I could not miss it... I weaved through the endless bodies, the sound of the chants growing quieter. Merging into a slow hum... I weaved... Dodged... Hurried... I could not miss it...

"We'll never die, we'll never die... We'll never die, we'll never die... Red flag flying high..."

I emerged. The tram... in front of me...The fans cast in shadow. The light grew larger...

"Cos Man United will never die!"

"Nooooo!!"

CRASH.

I awakened... to a more terrible nightmare.

Alive Characters: Craig Carr, Kelley Sullivan,

Dead or Unknown Characters: Liam,

Characters to be added: Santiago Martinez, Carolina Martinez, Lucia Martinez, Daniel Martinez,

Comments

• Name: Santiago Martinez.

Appearance: black short heddle hair , brown eyes , caucasian , 5,6 feet tall. Wears a blakc t.shirt with a rhino in it , black pants , a black jacket , white shoes and green socks.

Bio: His family is from Argentina , but he and Daniel were born in the U.S.A. He was bullied because he is a bit too akward with people and cause he already had a lot of hair in his body when he was 10. He tried to kill himself 3 times with a knife. He always wanted to a writer. He also likes animals. He doesn´t sing well. One time , he drunk all a bottle of whisky and destroyed his bedrooma and their´s family TV. He is very sensitive to everything. His father was a hacker who died protecting his family

Personality: Quite , Pensative , Kind , Helpful , Nervous , Agressive , Blunt , Depressive , Sad , Apatic , Pessimistic , Stuborn. After he does something bad he goes on "I am sorry i...i didn´t mean it" and his mind balme himself for everything bad that happened. He likes comics , reading , writing and tech stuff

Other Info:

Favourite weather: rain

Color: Green

Weapon: hunt knife , he doesn´t like guns

Name: Lucia Martinez

Bio: She is the sister of Santiago and Gaston. She was trying to get into the politic and wanted to study architecture before the ZA. She likes pop music. She is lesbian. She always had many friends and went to parties. She hates her parents. She always make jokes.

Appearance: black short heddle hair , brown eyes , brown skin , 5,6 feet tall. Very thin. Wears a white t-shirt , black pants , red slippers and white socks

Personality: Jelaous , Hysterical , Inconsiderate , Careless , Nosy , Talkative , Distrustful. Always want to have what she want to in the moment she wants to.

Other:

Color: Purple

Weather: Sunny

Weapon: Her Nokia cellphone (a joke , but a could be useful :P)

Name: Carolina Martinez.

Bio: She is the mother of Santiago , Daniel and Lucia. She works as a teacher and as psychologist. She cares about her sons and daughter deeply. She met his husband at church. His parents Ingrid and Jorge were abusive with her. She was an only child , but she always wanted to have a silbing. Ingrid and Jorge were nowhere to be found when the ZA started. They tried to look for them , but for that her husband Marino died.

Appearance: light brown curly hair , brown eyes , 5,5 feet tall , caucasian. She wears a blue t.shirt ,black pants , blakc studs.

Personality: Caring , Patient , Calm , Kind , Trustful , Honest , Overprotective.

Other:

Color: Red

Weather: Warm and sunny

Name: Daniel Martinez.

Bio: He is the brother of Santiago. His favourite show is DGZ. He wasn´t good at school. He always causes problems. He always tries to resolves things with violence.

Appearance: black short heddle hair , brown eyes , caucasian , 3,7 feet tall. Wears red t.shirt , blue pants , white slippers and grey socks.

Personality: Crabby , Sneering , Hysterical , Reluctant , Smart , Kind , Aggressive.

Other:

Color: Red

Sport: Soccer

Weather: Not so sunny or very cold

• If I might submit a character through PMs, I'll do so. Give me the okay and I will do so but if you wish I will post on here :)

• Whoops, sorry for the late reply.

Erm, yeah, would prefer it if you could post it on here. Then I can credit the character creators :)

If I might submit a character through PMs, I'll do so. Give me the okay and I will do so but if you wish I will post on here

• Name: Kelly Sullivan

Bio: She doesn't have much to say about her past, since she doesn't remember it. At the begging she was caught in an explosion that almost completely whipped her memory, she only remembers small part of her past like the fact she was at collage when everything happened.

Appearance: Tall, athletic, short brown hair, hazel eyes.

personality: Mostly silent and intuitive, Smart, shy, always working, gets wrapped up in work, thinks of others health before her own.

other:

favorite color: Amber

• Hey, I thought I might just get the ball rolling on this by adding in an extra character of my own to the prologue and because I already have a lot of material to work with already. All I need right now is some characters to advance the story. Hope you like it

Prologue: Cont.

June 16th 2011 11:12 a.m. (5 days after the first)

The sun pierced through the cracks of the shack roof, which was just as damp as the day we first decided to use it for shelter after the surrounding area turned to hell on earth. In a matter of days, the locals were reduced to moving aimlessly from one bit of tarmac to the next, attacking anything that came near them. Initial reports warned us of outbreaks and speculated that a biological weapon was behind it. That explanation started to become more ridiculous after the outbreaks became more widespread. America. Europe. Asia. Everywhere. Then silence…

I sat up in a cold sweat, still trembling from the visions which had plagued my dreams for longer than I could bring myself to remember. The unbearable groans coming from the outside had gotten significantly louder overnight. I looked over towards the mold covered window in the corner where someone was keeping watch on the streets.

“So, do you think we can take it?"

Liam's attention was fixed on the market across the road, the same as he had been for days since the outbreak. A short, bespectacled man with short, spiky hair, Liam had been my roommate at university and had had my back since this all started. Our struggles and pain were shared in more ways than one, since he had also moved away to seek his fortune. The only difference between us was that my family was an ocean away, whereas his was still accessible. I sometimes wondered which was worse, having them within arms reach and not knowing or knowing, like I do, that I may never reach mine again.

“Not yet, we still should have some food on reserve” I replied.

He turned slowly and his eyes widened as they met my gaze. "Fuck, you look terrible Craig, what's wrong?"

"Nothing just..." I looked down. As if my demeanor was not bad enough already. "I just had a bad dream. Now let me see the rations."

“Yeah, about that…” they paused.

“Don’t even start” I laughed.

“I’m serious man, this is our last batch. We should think about taking what we can for the trip”

It was true that our situation had become unmanageable. We resorted to blocking the route in with rotten chairs, which looked like crumbling into dust at any moment. With each passing hour, more and more of them were emerging from what seemed like nowhere.

“I hear you, but once we leave, we don’t have any protection. It’s either that or bust.” I told them.

“Sorry, but I don’t wanna sit in here and wait while that food is taken by some other prick who decided to go for it before we did. You said you were with me, Craig.”

“Ok, I am with you. I just don't want us to lose our heads.” I mumbled.

"And I don't want to wait and let them bastards get us too. I need to get back home... but I can't do it without you. I need your help"

I stood up and walked over to Liam. How can I abandon someone who helped me more times than I could remember for trivial reasons? "I've got your back. I don't know what's going on, but whatever it is, it has to clear up soon. Until then, it's best if we stick together."

"Thanks man. I know how hard this must be for you." He sighed deeply. "Let's go."

I quickly put on my combat jacket and proceeded to remove the chairs from the door. The chair leg separated from the seat base with ease. I could use this for a weapon, I thought. As long as it didn’t crumble at the first time of use, I would be fine.
    The door creaked open. In our view was the once lively Fair Oaks Mall, which now more closely resembled the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone than the bustling metropolis it once was. It was a mere trip across the road, which would have been a cakewalk before. No longer. We tiptoed ever so slowly, until a scream broke them from their slumber.

“Oh shi…”

“Shh. Wait. We’re ok” Liam whispered. “We can keep moving forward as long as they…”

Then, a shadowy figure emerged from the overgrown hedges to our right, drawing the gaze of them in the process. I could only make out their neat brown hair, distinctive from the blood and dirt which stained their skin and clothing. They were quickly surrounded by the horde.
    “HELP, SOMEONE PLEASE!!” The screams were drawing the attention of the infected. their legs buckling as they retreated from the threat.

“Come on, they’re in trouble, we have to help them” I moved over to the side. Liam grabbed my shoulder tightly.

“There is no way they are getting away from that, even with our help, Craig. Besides, they can keep them busy” I could not believe what I was hearing.

“What are you saying? We can’t leave them without even trying. We can just draw their attention so they can escape”

“Then we’d have less time to get what we need. They’ll be following us, along with what else could be in there” They pointed out.

“I… I…”

They drew closer in to their prey.

“PLEASE! HELP!”

A: Attract the attention of the walkers

B: Quietly proceed to Fair Oaks

• A: Attract the attention of the walkers Fuck Liam

Awesome Chapter!!!

Hey, I thought I might just get the ball rolling on this by adding in an extra character of my own to the prologue and because I already hav

• A: attract the attention of the walkers

Great chapter!

Hey, I thought I might just get the ball rolling on this by adding in an extra character of my own to the prologue and because I already hav

• 100% chose A: attract the attention of the walkers

Prologue: Cont.

"I... I can't just walk away from this Liam. We have to help her."

Liam looked at me incredulously "Are you serious? If we don't go now, we won't have enough time to gather supplies."

"Are YOU serious!?" I retorted. "You would just let someone die so you could get your hands on some food? We can find some elsewhere."

Liam let out a deep sigh before... "Fine... But how are we gonna do this?"

The surroundings provided little opportunity to create a long lasting distraction. The nearest object was a rusty shopping cart that had been left perched up against a tree, it's contents scattered along the embankment leading up to the shopping complex. The rain that had fell the night before made a trip upwards an invitation to be covered in mud.

"Ok... I'm gonna make as much noise this side as I possibly can. When I start, make your way across the slopes to our left. You should be able to get in behind them with enough time to get them out of there." I instructed.

"Then what?" Liam asked desperately.

"For fucks sake Liam, just get over there and help them, we'll improvise the rest! GO NOW!"

Liam darted across to the overturned shopping cart and immediately struggled to clear the branches that were spread out from the trees to his left. I bellowed at the walkers with all the force I could muster. "Over here! Look at me, assholes!". It drew the attention of the rear guard, which was good enough as Liam had soon made his way across the embankment. What Liam lacked in strength, he certainly made up for it in speed. He helped them to their feet and directed me to the hedges to our left. Time was against us now as we made our way upwards through the sticks and mud to Fair Oaks, which loomed ominously at the peak.

The entrance would have been a welcome sight in our quest had it not been blockaded by crates upon our arrival. It was made worse by the fact that they were empty and were instead propped up against the glass with the poles that had been knocked over by the handful that remained within the city to stock up on supplies. The only route inside the building was through a broken window that had remained out of reach for the poor soul that had been speared in the back of the neck by a particularly large shard.

Both Liam and the person he just rescued were panting heavily from the climb. Upon closer inspection, the person was revealed to be a young woman. A badge was just discernible on her blazer that was drenched in fresh blood, but was darkened by the dust and debris that had accumulated there at an earlier point. Her wide hazel eyes had a disarming look about them, but they also appeared filled with uncertainty and fear.

Liam took a while to catch his breath. "So... now to business."

"Hey, are you ok?" I asked her gently.

The woman said nothing. Her hands had become dirtier from the climb and they were still trembling from the shock.

"Just give it a moment, yeah Liam? Let her just get her head together first."

"We can't afford to..."

"Kelley" A voice spoke quietly from behind me.

"Ok, Kelley. I'm Craig and this is Liam."

"Hey" Liam smiled.

"Thanks... both of you for... for saving me back there." Kelley stuttered.

"It's cool. We've all gotta look out for each other, especially now." I waved her off. Liam's expression quickly became stern as he realised that he had been given credit for a rescue attempt that he had been willing to avoid.

"Just to put it out there Liam... how are we getting out of the city once we get this stuff?" I asked.

Liam turned sharply towards me. "Does it matter?"

"Well... are you expecting me, you and Kelley here to carry this stuff all the way to Virginia? You're gonna struggle for a start with what you just had to do."

"Hmm...we could see if one of the cars around here works first. That way we can have an easier time escaping if all goes to hell in there."

"But them things are closing in fast. We might not have enough time to get the supplies" I pointed out.

"Shit, we may just have to go for it and hope for the best." Liam conceded.

I looked around at the car park behind us. While there were still cars there from the previous days, the sheer number of them meant that finding a working one was a long shot.

"Why don't we split up?" Kelley suggested.

Liam looked at Kelley in disbelief. "Woah, hang on a second. We've only just met you and you're already suggesting we split up, what the hell!?"

"She may have a point, man. If we do both at the same time, there's a chance we can do both before they get here." I said. "Two should go inside though to help with supplies and whatever else may be in there."

"Ok then. We'll go in together Craig and err... Kelley can stay out here and look for a..."

"NOO!"

The high pitched scream assaulted my ear drum and caused a long ringing sensation for several seconds. Disorientated, I regained control to find Liam covering Kelley's mouth with his hand a little too aggressively.

"Shh. What the hell's the matter with you? You could have caught the attention of some that might be in there." Liam said angrily.

"I'm sorry just..." Kelley began.

"Liam, maybe she should have... one of us with her in there you know? She shouldn't really be on her own after what she just went through." I stood next to her and calmly moved Liam to the side. "Look, I think it's only fair we go in and get this stuff while you search for a car. You'd only have to wait till we finish then."

Liam stared at the floor disappointingly. "What's up?"

He hesitated before looking at Kelley then me. "Just... I don't know if I could do this without a friend or someone to help me. I miss my family as it is and... I don't know if I could do it alone. I don't want you to die, man." This was about as human and true a statement as I had ever heard from Liam. He had this side to him, but it rarely ever surfaced. He had been holding this in for a while.

"It's ok. I'll be as fast as I can in there and i'll meet you out here." I reassured him.

He stared longer still. "Do you promise?"

"Liam, of course I wi-"

"Promise me"

I hadto say ite... "I promise."

Liam breathed heavily. "Ok, be quick about it bro." Within a few seconds he had disappeared among the endless rows of cars that occupied the parking spaces behind us.

I turned to Kelley who had remained respectfully silent during that time and was staring intently through the window into the groceries section. "See anything?"

"It's kinda dark. I can't see past the isles." Kelley said.

I tried to use the window ledge as a platform to reach the broken window at the top. Fortunately, the last remaining shards had shattered off their foundations, which allowed me to hoist myself up without digging my hands into stray shards. After a little effort, I cleared the lower window and landed on the shop floor... CRACK. Onto broken glass!

It wouldn't have mattered anyway. I could hear the moans growing closer the moment I made contact with the floor.

Kelley gestured me towards the fire door to my left. After clearing the table to open the fire door, we sprinted towards the clearing that had been left by the fallen shelves in front of us.

"Kelley, get the bags over by the counter!"

Lucky I rushed to the assorted energy bars and water first. The essentials took precedent over any other amenities, which was just as well, as the entire section seemed to be filled with the infected. The moans surrounded us as we delved further into the shopping complex.

One of the men emerged from out of nowhere and backed me into a corner.

"Ahh, fu--" Try as i might, he would not let up. He made chomping movements with his mouths as if to bite into his next bit of food. his eyes were still present, but vacant, as if they could not see at all. I instinctively moved to swing the chair leg, which split their head open, but also split the leg upon impact. He stumbled backwards but without pain.

Kelley grabbed a handful of the energy bars before being knocked over by the oncoming horde. She wailed louder than the first time, wriggling sideways from the creature's grasp. I moved to pull her to her feet.

"We've done all we can, we have to go!"

HONK. A car horn! YES! It certainly drew the attention of the few stragglers which were still following us.

"Craig, we're lost! Where did we get in from!!?"

"We're fine, just keep up!"

I had to keep her calm because I certainly wasn't. I had lost track from where we had entered.

BANG. Was that a car backfiring? The sound provided me with a sense of direction, but the scenes of chaos prevented me from going straight down the isles. Shelves were left bare and their contents were spilled onto the cold floor below. Taking care not to trip, we dodged several creatures guarding the entrance to our right. Then I saw it. The broken window!

"OVER HERE! We're almost there!"

I hopped the window with Kelley in hot pursuit, the source of the noise came from a car that had been started a few meters to our right. I made a move to load the supplies in the back and tell Liam what we had made out with... only...

"Where is he!?" Kelley screeched.

"LIAM! LIAM!!" No sign of him. The driver's door had been left open as if it's occupant had just got out to get some cash from the nearby ATM. Several droplets of blood stained the windshield and the pavement adjacent to the car.

SMASH. The creatures broke through the glass behind us with ease and the ones from the road had finally caught up to us... there was no other choice.

"Oh no..." Kelley grabbed my arm.

They drew closer... I had no choice.

END OF PROLOGUE

• Awesome Prologue!!

100% chose A: attract the attention of the walkers Prologue: Cont. "I... I can't just walk away from this Liam. We have to help her."

Sign in to comment in this discussion.