Game Reviews

GoTGoT
edited June 2009 in Sam & Max
I like to read game reviews BY GAMERS before i play them. In particular, gamers who are experienced in playing various types of game especially the type that they're reviewing!!

I thought i'd mention this because over at adventuregamers i've reviewed the first of the sam & max games. With the arrival of MI soon i am guessing a LOT more copies of sam and max will be getting out into the public realm due to the free coupon that was given out.

I would like to encourage other ppl to post some reviews over here as well because they do get read by ppl who havnt played the games yet and it getting the reviews out there BY the players is a pretty important thing.

HERES THE REVIEW: http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24983

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I'm not disputing that more reviews would be helpful, but you seem to be implying that professional reviewers are not themselves gamers. I find it hard to believe someone would get into professional game review writing if they weren't an avid gamer in the first place! :confused:
  • edited June 2009
    Keep in mind that those of us who care enough to read and post to Telltale's forums are probably here because we like the games, so any reviews here would all be positive, with the occasional "I liked the game, BUT...."

Anyone who thought, "This is a waste of time, I'm going back to playing Grand Theft Auto Honolulu" isn't here reading this.
  • edited June 2009
    A point of contention I find is that you're pointing us to Adventure Gamers. That would be "preaching to the choir", so to speak. If you're on Adventure Gamers, you know about Telltale and you've probably made your decisions about them quite clear.

Maybe you should look for Anti-Adventure Gamer. That would be an untapped market.

More than that, the idea that reviews by the fans would have more legitimacy than reviews posted by "professional critics" simply doesn't stand up to me. A group of a product's most die-hard fans having a better critique? It doesn't seem logical.

And then there's your assertion that Sam and Max will sell more due to Monkey Island. Okay. So then what are we needed for? People will snag up a free episode of Sam and Max, they'll play it, they'll see for themselves the quality. Or they'll pick up SBCG4AP, or Wallace and Gromit. 104 has been free for a long time, showing this to people and letting the games speak for themselves is far more valuable. I know people that have had no desire to pick up an adventure game that, having given Sam and Max a try, fall in love with their brand of humor.

Your opinion is worth only so much. These games speak extremely well for themselves, that seems more valuable to me.
  • TeaTea
    edited June 2009
    Sam and Max Season One was the subject of my first ever full review of a game.

I look at it now and I think about all the things I missed, it's not a very good review.

http://hardydev.com/2009/06/21/sam-max-season-one-review/
  • GoTGoT
    edited June 2009
    wow.

didnt expect to really get some mild flaming for this post... but i did...

*runs away*
  • GoTGoT
    edited June 2009
    TheJoe wrote: »
    Sam and Max Season One was the subject of my first ever full review of a game.

I look at it now and I think about all the things I missed, it's not a very good review.

http://hardydev.com/2009/06/21/sam-max-season-one-review/

oh and i read your review and enjoyed it very much.. your page has made it on to my "Delicious Bookmarks" list and i'll go back from time to time to see if you've done more reviews. I agreed with everything you said in the review and I covered some of that stuff myself in mine. We seem to agree on a lot of the same points (albeit you elaborated more on the finer points). I didn't talk much about the soda poppers in mine because they didnt grind on me too much but now after just completing the 2nd game they're just starting to annoy me... I'm guessing they make more appearances if I judge your review correctly!

Nice work! I'll be getting ep 3 soon, im thoroughly enjoying these games, which is why i guess i put the effort into writing simple reviews for the two i've played!
  • edited June 2009
    Huh? I didn't mean to "flame" anybody. Just saying, it seems a bit silly to think that telling adventure gamers about Sam and Max would make a big impact, basically. I mean, it's more everybody else in the gaming world.
  • TeaTea
    edited June 2009
    GoT wrote: »
    oh and i read your review and enjoyed it very much.. your page has made it on to my "Delicious Bookmarks" list and i'll go back from time to time to see if you've done more reviews. I agreed with everything you said in the review and I covered some of that stuff myself in mine. We seem to agree on a lot of the same points (albeit you elaborated more on the finer points). I didn't talk much about the soda poppers in mine because they didnt grind on me too much but now after just completing the 2nd game they're just starting to annoy me... I'm guessing they make more appearances if I judge your review correctly!

Nice work! I'll be getting ep 3 soon, im thoroughly enjoying these games, which is why i guess i put the effort into writing simple reviews for the two i've played!

It's not actually my website, I just wrote that one thing and I do intend to review some more. Thank you for your comments though, I'll pass them on to Igor who runs the site (and is very keen on feedback).
  • GoTGoT
    edited June 2009
    TheJoe wrote: »
    It's not actually my website, I just wrote that one thing and I do intend to review some more. Thank you for your comments though, I'll pass them on to Igor who runs the site (and is very keen on feedback).

oooh okay cool, i just assumed it was your site. Tell him then that i enjoyed the review and i love reading reviews even if i've played the game already. It gives me some idea of whether i should take advice from the same sites or not. Once again well done and keep up the reviews!
  • GoTGoT
    edited June 2009
    Huh? I didn't mean to "flame" anybody. Just saying, it seems a bit silly to think that telling adventure gamers about Sam and Max would make a big impact, basically. I mean, it's more everybody else in the gaming world.

i guess i was "just saying" also that there was a review at that location incase anyone wanted to pass the link on to ppl that they're trying to get interested in Telltale games.
  • edited June 2009
    GoT wrote: »
    wow.

didnt expect to really get some mild flaming for this post... but i did...

*runs away*

Disagreeing and debating are not flaming, so I hope no one's comments came off as the latter.
  • GoTGoT
    edited June 2009
    SavageBob wrote: »
    Disagreeing and debating are not flaming, so I hope no one's comments came off as the latter.

no probs
Sign in to comment in this discussion.