Windows 7

edited July 2009 in Game Support
I currently am testing the RC for Win 7 and will be upgrading on release. I purchased Sam and Max S1 and will be playing TMI as soon as its released. Currently I have installed Sam and Max on my laptop running XP and it runs fine, but when I install it on Win 7 the sound works but there is no video and no control. I did try to run the game in Virtual XP but SecureROM wouldn't allow it due to a debugging program working.

Any advice on getting this to run on Win 7 or getting it to run in the Virtual XP environment. I'd like to play this on my desktop.

Currently Running:
Win 7 64-bit
Intel i7 Quad: Low
6 Gigs of Ram
Video Card: GEForce 6400 512MB I believe
Plenty of Hard Drive Space

Any thoughts? (and I know that the games are rated on Vista and XP, but I would think that Win 7 would be generally ok)

Thanks,

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    It may be a case of driver support. Definitely make sure your all of your drivers and directX are as up to date as possible for Windows 7. Not sure how well they carry over from previous versions I'm afraid.
  • edited July 2009
    Honestly, thank you for recommending that. My video card had just put out a new driver set for x64 and now it's running great. Every so often it will minimize the whole game to the start bar, but all you have to do is simply click to get back in. It's annoying, but manageable, and probably has to do with a Win 7 setting.

Thanks again,
  • edited July 2009
    Same problem for me - I am using Windows 7 on Parallels (all latest versions) and when I try to launch Tales of Monkey Island - it just crashes and says 101.exe has stopped working.. Really Really frustrating!
  • edited July 2009
    When Windows 7 launches in October, everything should be sorted out by then.... right? :confused:
    edited July 2009
    Well the problem isn't necessarily Win7 itself. Usually with new operating systems, it takes a while for people to write decent drivers for it. It took MONTHS for decent Vista drivers to come out, which made games almost unplayable on most video cards.
  • edited July 2009
    I had the same problem and it seems that the culprit was my anti-virus software (I'm running F-Secure Internet Security Technology Preview 9.5). Disabling it allows the game to run fine.

Another problem arises, however. The shortcuts in the start menu and games explorer don't work. I have to run MonkeyIsland101.exe from the game's folder manually, otherwise I get the "Could not load game data!" error.
    edited July 2009
    I think that might just be a problem with the installer not working 100% right in 7. You can probably delete those and create a new shortcut that actually will work. I could be wrong though.
  • edited July 2009
    jassemon wrote: »
    I had the same problem and it seems that the culprit was my anti-virus software (I'm running F-Secure Internet Security Technology Preview 9.5). Disabling it allows the game to run fine.

Another problem arises, however. The shortcuts in the start menu and games explorer don't work. I have to run MonkeyIsland101.exe from the game's folder manually, otherwise I get the "Could not load game data!" error.

Oh god thank you! Same error with F-Secure Internet Security Technology for W7
    God damn I hate AV software.
  • edited July 2009
    Whatever your issues are, I can safely assure you it's NOT Windows 7 bugging out, my W7 system (which has both x32 and x64 of RC build 7100) runs all TTG games fine.
    Outdated drivers (look for W7-specific drivers, do not just install Vista drivers - while it may work, it's more than likely will flip out at some point), and/or background applications are most likely the source of the problem.
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Well the problem isn't necessarily Win7 itself. Usually with new operating systems, it takes a while for people to write decent drivers for it. It took MONTHS for decent Vista drivers to come out, which made games almost unplayable on most video cards.

You think a decent driver will be around by the time it comes out, though? After all, the beta's been out for a while (and I think I read somewhere that it's supposed to be more gaming-friendly). Cause I already pre-ordered 7, and I really hope I don't have to miss any TTG. D:
  • edited July 2009
    NickClick2 wrote: »
    You think a decent driver will be around by the time it comes out, though? After all, the beta's been out for a while (and I think I read somewhere that it's supposed to be more gaming-friendly). Cause I already pre-ordered 7, and I really hope I don't have to miss any TTG. D:

W7 comes with Virtual PC 2007 integrated, from memory. You should just be able to drop a VM into that (it's apparently quite good virtualisation) and run whatever you need in XP/Vista/Linux if the drivers are fine for most things, but not for certain things.

Also, the Vista beta was out for developers for a long time too...
  • edited July 2009
    Turophile wrote: »
    W7 comes with Virtual PC 2007 integrated, from memory. You should just be able to drop a VM into that (it's apparently quite good virtualisation) and run whatever you need in XP/Vista/Linux if the drivers are fine for most things, but not for certain things.

Could use please explain that in non-computer terms? What's a VM? (Sorry, not great with computers.)
  • edited July 2009
    Not a problem :)

A VM is a Virtual Machine. You can run a machine within a machine (so you have the physical machine (the host) and the virtual machine(s) (the clients)). This means you can run Windows XP at the same time as running Windows 7.

Have a look at the MS site for more details: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/ :)
  • edited July 2009
    Turophile wrote: »
    Not a problem :)

A VM is a Virtual Machine. You can run a machine within a machine (so you have the physical machine (the host) and the virtual machine(s) (the clients)). This means you can run Windows XP at the same time as running Windows 7.

Have a look at the MS site for more details: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/ :)

....one problem. I'm getting Windows 7 Home, not Professional or Ultimate. :\ Will the games still work, you think?
  • edited July 2009
    Well, Home will be missing the virtualisation feature, but it should still have DirectX. It just means you will have to be patient for drivers (that said Virtualisation may not necessarily work around those bugs either, but I would give it more of a chance than not having it).

You could dual boot (Windows XP/Vista and Windows 7 as different operating systems on different drives or partitions), if things become desperate.
  • jmmjmm
    edited July 2009
    Just a heads-up:
    The virtualized (or it is "virtualised"?) drivers from Virtual XP feature only basic DirectX capabilities (at this time, but I doubt Microsoft will extend this support since this is mainly a way to allow legacy incompatible applications to run).
    Direct3D is not featured at all (again, at this time)
  • edited July 2009
    jmm wrote: »
    The virtualized (or it is "virtualised"?)

I'm Australian, so I use British spelling, to me it's an 's', for the American dialects it is a 'z'. :)
    jmm wrote: »
    drivers from Virtual XP feature only basic DirectX capabilities (at this time, but I doubt Microsoft will extend this support since this is mainly a way to allow legacy incompatible applications to run).
    Direct3D is not featured at all (again, at this time)

Interesting, but not unexpected. Hyper-V also lacks Direct3D, but VirtualBox has some very limited support (interestingly).

I had been lead to believe basic Direct3D support would come through by RTM, but I guess it's not really a terribly high priority for them.
  • edited July 2009
    Oh well, I guess all I can do is hope it works. :(
  • edited July 2009
    Microsoft was smarter this time by getting manufacturers on board much earlier. 7 already has reliable drivers from the big peripheral makers, just make sure you update them to the latest versions.

NickClick2, I wouldn't worry.
  • edited July 2009
    kino wrote: »
    Microsoft was smarter this time by getting manufacturers on board much earlier. 7 already has reliable drivers from the big peripheral makers, just make sure you update them to the latest versions.

NickClick2, I wouldn't worry.

Oh, really? Nice. :D Good move, Microsoft!

Ooh, and I love that avatar. Scratch-o, hey!
This discussion has been closed.