games are too slow - i meet requirements

edited July 2009 in Game Support
i am having trouble running games. i meet requirements. p4 3.06ghz 1gb ram 64mb vram

i am running at 800x600 quality 1. the first episode is very good (wallace and gromit). in episode 2, when the scottish guy comes, it begins to run slow, even if i head into town it becomes slow. i don't know what the problem is. is the scottish guy's freckles too high requirements? :p

Comments

• edited July 2009
    what level of detail are you plaing on?
    64 MB vram seem to be very low.
  • edited July 2009
    minimum. i would play 640x480 if it were possible. the requirements are 64 128 is recommended. 64 is low but sufficient.

EDIT: i would play on a 512mb vram system but that is having some serious issues so this is the best i can do, i do pass requirements so i don't see why it's slow. if i was running it on high quality then i could understand but i'm running it on minimum quality.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Unfortunately, 64 is *really* low. It will play the games, but just barely. Your best bet is to update your graphics drivers and disable as many programs as humanly possible. In fact, here are some easy steps to make SURE nothing else is running:

To Boot Clean in Windows XP

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer

While you may not want to run your computer at this bare minimum all the time, it's a good test to see what your computer can actually handle.
  • edited July 2009
    my startup is already almost bare. if i could get a 640x480 res then im pretty sure it would be perfect
  • edited July 2009
    The amount of vram has almost nothing to do with how the game will perform.

What matters most is the type of graphics card you're using.

There are "ok" cards with 64Mb of ram (like a Geforce 4 Ti 4200) and there are HORRIBLE cards with 64Mb of ram (like a Geforce 2 MX, geforce 4 MX or some kind of integrated video).

Most likely, your card is a low end model from 4-5 years ago that just isn't fast enough to run recent games smoothly
  • edited July 2009
    my card is a ati radeon 9700 mobility

it is old, it's not x series nor hd, but i never expected adventure games such as monkey island get sooo powerful that i'll need to upgrade. i DO have a more powerful card with a slightly less processor but it's not working right now. i thought atleast i could run these games. and i'm still sure i can. i just want the option of 640x480. it's a small request. can i request this in time for monkey island series?

i can run W&G episode 1 it's just episode 2, not bothered with episode 3.
This discussion has been closed.