Free Episode

edited July 2009 in Sam & Max
Hello, I recently downloaded the free episode "Abe Lincoln Must Die." If I play this would it be weird for me to go back and play the other episodes, as in, would I be better off just buying the whole season?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    If you're asking whether it's better to play it in order, the episodes are pretty self contained, so you can play them in any order you want. Except episode six, that's pretty clearly a season finale.
  • edited July 2009
    You should be okay if you play episode 4 first. As Shwoo said, Season 1's episodes are pretty much self-contained. You'd be better off playing it to see if you like it.

Though, you also could play the demo for episode 1 to see if you like it and then play it in order.
  • edited July 2009
    I actually got into Season One through episode four, so let me tell you my experience.

Abe Lincoln Must Die is one of the highlights of the season, and it's definitely where that season really goes from "good and sometimes great" to "great and sometimes amazing".

There are some things that carry over from the other episodes. It's extremely minor and I was only a bit confused. I was able to get through the episode just fine, it's just kind of a small issue with the narrative because minor characters return. Again, totally minor, but expect to feel slightly "off-center".

Oh, and I was a bit disappointed with Episode One after playing Abe Lincoln Must Die. Whatever the case, I'd definitely suggest trying Sam and Max before buying it, the same for any video game.
  • edited July 2009
    Rather D. is correct. 104 is where the series really takes off. 104, 105 and 106 are the best episodes in the series. I personally find 101 to be the best of the first three but not as good as 104, 102 being the worst of the series, and 103 being all right. None of the episodes are awful or bad or not worth your money but you can tell which ones were made first.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2009
    Be proper and play them in order. I command it. pew pew
  • edited July 2009
    I think 104 is a good way to draw people in. It's why 101 isn't the free episode when that would make more sense. 104 is just the better episode that gives away the least bit of the plot.

If you plan to actually buy and play the whole thing though, you might as well start in order.
  • edited July 2009
    I really like the possibilities in 102. I think 103 is the worst of season 1 but it is still great.
  • edited July 2009
    102 and 103 aren't really bad as much as I think they pale in comparison to the rest of the season.

Although having played Telltale Texas Hold'em I did in episode 103
    love the Leonard Steakcharmer character.
  • edited July 2009
    104 (particularly one moment in it), sold me on Sam & Max. It definitely works as an intro episode, but going back and playing the first three, it's obvious what a step up that episode was. They keep being great to amazing every episode after 104.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.