[ICD] Hugh Bliss ft. Spoilers

edited July 2009 in Sam & Max
I was watching commentary from Season One and was interested to hear that Michael Jackson helped inspire Hugh Bliss. Then a day or two later he died.

That was a bit weird.

I have to say I wasn't a huge fan of the character until 106. The idea of an evil Hugh Bliss was really funny to me and rather awesome. I like recurring evil characters like LeChuck. The evil Bliss was fun to fight at the end and it's probably one of my favorite "boss fights" or end scenes in an adventure game in a long time.

I searched but didn't find a similiar thread.

Anyway, I haven't finished Season Two yet - I'm on the bit in episode 204 with
T.H.E.M. which...was kind of a let down and random, but maybe it'll get better.
I don't know if Hugh comes back, but it'd be cool if he did.

There have been sightings of him apparently in real life though.

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I'm with you on Hugh Bliss, although I was kind of fond him before that point. Everything about him seemed to perfectly "click" into place once he was openly villainous, enough that it more than makes up for those few moments when he shifted from a bewildering presence in Season 1 to a bewildering and mildly annoying one. (To be fair though, that seems to be the point. ;) ) One of my favorites among the Telltale-only characters, without a doubt.

The 106 "boss fight" is still my favorite among all the episodes -- so twisted, yet darnit if it isn't entertaining!
    PariahKing wrote: »
    Anyway, I haven't finished Season Two yet - I'm on the bit in episode 204 with
    T.H.E.M. which...was kind of a let down and random, but maybe it'll get better.

Awww. I rather enjoyed that, actually. I think it was the
    crazy-awesome song
    that won me over, and
    the randomness of that revelation seemed like a "good" sort of randomness to me.
    Most of all, though, I love how
    the mariachis weren't really villains at all, but a bunch of relatively nice guys ( ... er, guy, really ... ) who unfortunately let themselves become beholden to an evil boss in order to fulfill their true calling. As a break from the normal Sam & Max villains, I found T.H.E.M. to be rather interesting and likable while still appropriately "Sam & Max-ish" in execution.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2009
    Hugh Bliss was hilarious.

"Hey! Hugh Bliss - guess what! I'm the President of the United States!!"

... ... ...

"Hi! I'm Hugh Bliss!"
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah he had his bits and pieces of comedy gold ("Hi, I'm not Hugh Bliss!" "I hate you." but he wasn't really super memorable until 106. That finale was amazing and really made him - to use an overused term - epic.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2009
    MASSIVE SPOILER - Read only upon completion of Season One!!!
    However the whole "made of bacteria" thing was a little crap. That was a kind of "urrrrhag?" moment. It was just weird.
  • edited July 2009
    Everything Hugh Bliss says in 106 is gold. Especially when he's talking about murder. It's probably the tone of voice.

Sam: Hey Hugh Bliss, wanna rub my unicorn?
    Hugh Bliss: Maybe after I kill you.

Hugh Bliss: Consider this: a trap so deadly it'll cause you to die.
    Sam: That is pretty deadly.

Although the boss fight in 205 was not a disappointment, the boss fight in 106 was better.
    He was funny
    in 205
    as well.

Satan: Mister Bliss, I--
    Hugh Bliss: I'm Hugh Bliss!
    Satan: Yes, I know. I took a great risk hiring a sentient bacteria to work for us, but the numbers are making me believe I made a mistake.
    Hugh Bliss: Oh, don't say that! I still believe you're doing a GREAT job!

The best part of 205 was undoubtably
    Sam's personal Hell
  • edited July 2009
    TheJoe wrote: »
    MASSIVE SPOILER - Read only upon completion of Season One!!!
    However the whole "made of bacteria" thing was a little crap. That was a kind of "urrrrhag?" moment. It was just weird.
    Yeah that was a pretty "What the hell?" but it blew by quickly and explained well his magical powers. I kind of find that to be a flaw in S&M - they're a bit TOO irrelevant with the story at times where the comedic effect goes too far and hurts the story.
  • edited July 2009
    Just finished Season 2. Question:
    When do Satan and Bliss interact? I never saw that. Of course, I was totally thrilled to see my favorite character in Sam and Max, Hugh Bliss again. I liked his bit with the list and censoring the show. A bigger part would've been cool, but oh well. He was all over Season One.

Also glad to see Brady back and I enjoyed the send up of the Soda Poppers. Real comedy from real humility on Telltale's part.
  • edited July 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    Just finished Season 2. Question:
    When do Satan and Bliss interact? I never saw that. Of course, I was totally thrilled to see my favorite character in Sam and Max, Hugh Bliss again. I liked his bit with the list and censoring the show. A bigger part would've been cool, but oh well. He was all over Season One.
    Each time you sabotage a personal hell, there's a cutscene where Satan blames someone. But to get that cutscene you have to walk back to the main office. You can miss out if you solve several in a row.
  • edited July 2009
    Harald B wrote: »
    Each time you sabotage a personal hell, there's a cutscene where Satan blames someone. But to get that cutscene you have to walk back to the main office. You can miss out if you solve several in a row.
    Oooh, that sucks. I
    solved like all of them at once and then left!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.