"What if Fables were a TV Show?" A blog series with world-building, casting, and spec scripts

I thought I'd share this post that I saw on reddit. I did NOT create this. A person named singoutlouise created this. Click here to see the original post.

Alt text

Hey everyone! I've been playing around with what I would want out of a Fables TV series for a long time, and I decided to share with the community I thought would most enjoy it.
I've got some spec TV scripts coming for a two part pilot and some original episode ideas to flesh out the world, make the show adaptable to TV, and bring something fresh for readers. For now, I'm making multiple blog posts a week detailing my ideas for a hypothetical Fables tv show (since it seems unlikely to happen anytime soon. Hopefully the planned film works out, but I'm still not convinced that's the right format for the story).
So I love making things pretty and visual, so there are lots of pictures to look through. I tried my best to capture what I would want out of a Fables television series. Throw your comments/suggestions in the comments, if you have any.

RES USERS: CLICK THE LINKS TO SEE THE FULL BLOG POSTS. There's a lot of detail in them beside the pictures.

Index of Postings

1: Proposed Format, Network, and Showrunner

2: Casting Snow White

3: Casting Bigby

4: Casting Cindy

Soon: more casting, the music of Fables, and the season outline

Plenty more coming soon! You can follow the indexes under each posting, click the "Fables TV Show Ideas" link on my tumblr account to find all of them at once from newest to oldest, or follow me on Tumblr to get them as I release them.
Hope you all enjoy!

"If Fables Was a TV Show" VOLUME 2: Click here to see the original post.

5: Casting Rose Red

6: Casting Prince Charming

7: Casting Briar Rose

8: Charming and His Ex-Wives (photoset and script excerpt)

9: The Music of Fables

10:Casting: Ichabod Crane, Hansel, and the Wooden Soldiers

11: Casting: Jack, Bluebeard, and Kay

12: Casting: Boy Blue, Pinocchio, and Flycatcher

13:Casting: Beauty and Beast

14:Casting: Goldilocks

15:Casting: Sir John Henry (OC)

16:Episode Summaries for Season 1

Coming Soon: more casting, season outline, and spec scripts
Plenty more coming soon! You can follow the Table of Contents/Index on my tumblr account, or follow me on Tumblr to get them as I release them, two a day.
Hope you all enjoy!

Comments

• I feel like Fables would be awesome as a TV series rather than a movie.

• Definitely.

AgentZ46 posted: »

I feel like Fables would be awesome as a TV series rather than a movie.

• I think it would kick ABC´s Once upon a time ass. OUAT is poor copy of Fables.

Definitely.

• Couldn't agree more :D

I think it would kick ABC´s Once upon a time ass. OUAT is poor copy of Fables.

• It would definitely become my favourite show

• If Fables becomes a Tv-series, I will watch it with so much devotion.

Regarding the proposed cast, I am mostly fine with everyone with the exception of Snow White. I don't know. The actress doesn't have the right appearance that I pictured with Snow. She doesn't have the youthfulness and she looks maybe too warmhearted. Now I don't know the actress and maybe she can play Snow's character perfectly.

• That much is evident from a lightyear away.

• Amen.

I started whatching Once upon a time because of Fables, and I stopped whatching it halfway through episode 2 because of how much it borrows from Fables.

HazzatheMan posted: »

Couldn't agree more

• I think it was good during season one but since the season two it goes down and every season is worse and worse.

Amen. I started whatching Once upon a time because of Fables, and I stopped whatching it halfway through episode 2 because of how much it borrows from Fables.

• Pretty nice casting!

The person added more stuff. Boy Blue is spot on. 10:Casting: Ichabod Crane, Hansel, and the Wooden Soldiers 11: Casting: Jack, Bluebeard, and Kay 12: Casting: Boy Blue, Pinocchio, and Flycatcher

• I think Robert Carlyle would be great Bluebeard

Alt text

The person added more stuff. Boy Blue is spot on. 10:Casting: Ichabod Crane, Hansel, and the Wooden Soldiers 11: Casting: Jack, Bluebeard, and Kay 12: Casting: Boy Blue, Pinocchio, and Flycatcher

• I agree it would be better in that format; however, a potential drawback is the lower budget on a TV show and Fables has some pretty huge set pieces and the Homelands are massive in scale.

It would definitely require a GoT-like budget.

• edited June 2015

I think OUAT´s budget + Game of thonres writers would be sufficent enough.

Dawnbreaker posted: »

I agree it would be better in that format; however, a potential drawback is the lower budget on a TV show and Fables has some pretty huge set pieces and the Homelands are massive in scale. It would definitely require a GoT-like budget.

• My english is terrible

I think Javier Bardem is better for Bigby and Zooey Deschanell is better for Snow White (yeah, fanarts haha)

• edited June 2015

Have you guys ever seen 'Hell on Wheels' tv series. I was playing the whole game and I was thinking that the main character in that, Ansom Mount, would be a fantastic bigby. You guys should watch the show if u never have.
    Alt text
    Alt text

• Nice casting choice. He would make a good Bigby. What do you think of Richard Armitage as Bigby Wolf and Matt Bomer as Prince Charming?

Alt text
    Alt text

Alt text
    Alt text

Fudz4 posted: »

Have you guys ever seen 'Hell on Wheels' tv series. I was playing the whole game and I was thinking that the main character in that, Ansom Mount, would be a fantastic bigby. You guys should watch the show if u never have.

• I see Jaime Pressly more as Goldilocks than Gillian Jacobs

Alt text
    Alt text

UPDATE: 13:Casting: Beauty and Beast 14:Casting: Goldilocks 15:Casting: Sir John Henry (OC) 16:Episode Summaries for Season 1

• I wonder if Bill Willingham wound consider doing this..

• He supports it! :D

I wonder if Bill Willingham wound consider doing this..

• edited October 2016

Hi there! I am actually the person who made these blog posts! :D I've decided to actually do something with my spec script, and am now producing an audio play based on the first story arc of the comics. "Legends in Exile" follows the violent disappearance of Rose Red, and Bigby and Snow's investigation.

Listen here on soundcloud, share and comment! We have 5 episodes planned.

we're also on facebook and tumblr

Sign in to comment in this discussion.