Tales of Monkey Island and Windows 7?

edited November 2009 in Game Support
Ok, I know windows 7 is in RC phase, however, I'm having issues getting Tales of Monkey Island to run on it.

After installation and attempt to start I get the telltale games dialog box and immediately another dialog box labeled "Message from webpage" Yellow ! triangle 'errorundefined'.

I click ok and attempt to start game and it appears to try and run (e.g. screen goes blank and see cursor, however, it just keeps sucking memory and task manager says not responding.

Are we going to get support for windows 7 RC?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Ok, I know windows 7 is in RC phase, however, I'm having issues getting Tales of Monkey Island to run on it.

After installation and attempt to start I get the telltale games dialog box and immediately another dialog box labeled "Message from webpage" Yellow ! triangle 'errorundefined'.

I click ok and attempt to start game and it appears to try and run (e.g. screen goes blank and see cursor, however, it just keeps sucking memory and task manager says not responding.

Are we going to get support for windows 7 RC?

Windows 7 RC here as well.

I'm getting the errorundefined message but my game runs after that. I don't know if it's a Windows 7 thing, or if it has to do with the TTG website issues...
  • SegSeg
    edited July 2009
    The "errorundefined" error is platform independent. It's because the website is being hammered currently, but you should be able to play the game otherwise.

jakefreemon: Did the DirectX update work for you? Also, have you updated drivers for your graphics card, epically for Win7? What's the make/model of the graphics card?
  • edited July 2009
    Well I saw in another thread that the Mobile 965 chipset is not supported, so I guess I'm out of luck with my 945GM. Strange that this game won't work since I've played games like CSI, WOW, Rise of Legends, Halo, Nancy Drew on it previously. :eek:

Anyhow, here are my specs:
    Toshiba Laptop Core2 Duo T5200 Mobile 945GM Express Chipset
    Intel Graphics 950
    2GB DDR2

Windows 7 RC installed this week and did all updates.

I did not see any installation issues for the game, and I took all defaults.

I when to Intel's site and downloaded the 945GM driver (even had windows 7 rc1 pick for it).

The game will eventually (long time) start, however, the game is very very slow and unmanagable.
  • edited July 2009
    Solution: Don't run your games on candidate release operating systems.
  • edited July 2009
    Hahaha, thanks for the useful reply. Maybe I should just stick with Linux also? :confused: :p
  • edited July 2009
    Hahaha, thanks for the useful reply. Maybe I should just stick with Linux also? :confused: :p
    You can always install Windows XP :) Like I had to do just for playing this game on my mac.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm playing on W7RC (32bit) just fine. So it's not the system that causing the problem.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Hey Jake, if you send an email in to Support@telltalegames.com, they can hook you up with a refund.
  • edited July 2009
    People playing on W7 RC 32 or 64 bit: have you tried launching the game directly from the game's .exe file? (i.e. not the Star Menu or Games menu short cut that is created during installation)?

Also, consider creating your own shortcut from the main .exe file and pinning that to wherever.
  • SegSeg
    edited July 2009
    harlequ1n wrote: »
    Solution: Don't run your games on candidate release operating systems.

It won't be a candidate come end of October, so any information on how the game runs in Win7 helps us greatly. In this case, the graphics card was the problem which is agnostic of the OS.
  • edited July 2009
    Seg wrote: »
    It won't be a candidate come end of October, so any information on how the game runs in Win7 helps us greatly. In this case, the graphics card was the problem which is agnostic of the OS.
    Sorry, didn't mean to hold up your work, I was just (trying to) be funny :)
  • SegSeg
    edited July 2009
    harlequ1n wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't mean to hold up your work, I was just (trying to) be funny :)
    No worries! Just want to make sure no one get's discouraged from trying it out. I've been running Win7 via VMWare, mainly to get the Game Explorer stuff working. Even in emulation it runs well on my Nov '08 Mack Book Pro. It will run much better via Boot Camp.
  • edited July 2009
    Running on W7 as well. I cant even start it. Nothing happens. But then again it does this on Blood Bowl and Mass Effect.
    Updated gfx driver and DX too. Running as admin and tried XP and Vista compatibility
    Task manager launches the exe file, then a windows error manager starts, then both quits.

Something with my system, any ideas?
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Hey Jake, if you send an email in to Support@telltalegames.com, they can hook you up with a refund.

Thanks! Can you hook me up with a new wife also? Seems I've lost this one since I can't get this silly game running on her laptop... :rolleyes: All I've been hearing from her is "Why wont that game run? My Nancy Drew runs and kids play World Of Warcraft on it all the time..." over and over...

Serioulsy though, I've moved it to a 64bit system with more graphics power and more onboard memory. It's running and she says she's going to keep it. We will see...

If if hangs on that computer I guess I'll have to visit here again.

BTW. I the game does start to run, however, it's very very slow and after changing to a 2 was able to get to first chapter, however, immediately exited. I believe the GMA meets the requirements, however, barely and think TellTale should up the min requirements and state that Intel GMA 950x/95x chipsets are not supported.
  • edited November 2009
    I have it running fine on Win7 RC1 on my Acer 7720G laptop. The only problem is the slow cursor that has quite a delay before moving.

M.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2009
    If your cursor is slow, you can probably speed that up by turning down the graphics quality setting, going fullscreen, and/or reducing the game resolution.
This discussion has been closed.