Monkey Island Resolutions.....

edited July 2009 in Game Support
Well, I use a 37" HP LCD monitor with a max resolution of 1366x768 with a refresh rate of 60hz. The appropriate resolution.... which would be 1280x768 does not display as an option. 1280x720 looks very fuzzy as it's not natively supported. Switching to 1280x1024 and cutting the widescreen off for a clear picture is poor since for some reason the Game plays in letterbox?

Also, when in 1280x720 the tutorial text at the top of the screen is half off the screen. Meaning the game doesn't size properly to the resolution.

Sam 'N Max Season II also forces 1280x720 but at least the game fits in the frame. How do we solve this issue? As we all know there is no shrinking horizontally ala CRT monitor on most LCD screens. The aspect ratio is simply off a bit.

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Try this little tool
    http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Tell_Tale_Games_Custom_Resolution_Tool
    It works with ToMI, too. Put it into your "My Documents\Telltale Games\Launch of the Screaming Narwhal" folder, start it and enter the resolution you'd like.
  • edited July 2009
    Dante wrote: »
    Try this little tool
    http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Tell_Tale_Games_Custom_Resolution_Tool
    It works with ToMI, too. Put it into your "My Documents\Telltale Games\Launch of the Screaming Narwhal" folder, start it and enter the resolution you'd like.

Wow dude.... amazing reply, I honestly didn't think I would get my res working..... Game looks amazing and displays perfectly now..... thanks a lot :-)
  • edited July 2009
    Could you post a working prefs.prof for 1920 x 1200? The TTRes tool crashes for me, and the in game menu isn't working either. Thanks.
  • edited July 2009
    Could you post a working prefs.prof for 1920 x 1200? The TTRes tool crashes for me, and the in game menu isn't working either. Thanks.

Seconding this. The game crashes when I change resolution :(
  • OMAOMA
    edited July 2009
    Sorry to say this but, the fact that a forum member was able to make this resolution changer tool is proof that this could have been easily fixed by Telltale ages ago (as early as November 2007, when Sam & Max 201, the first episode with 16:9 ratio, was released), but they haven't, even though this problem has been repeatedly raised here with all games since that date.

Come on, I knew this couldn't be too hard to fix, but now that someone who doesn't even work at Telltale have released this fix, you should get you act together and get just a few programmer hours to fix this for good!

This was fixed in Wallace & Gromit, but I'm guessing that ToMI is maybe using an older version of the engine, so it can work for the Wii too. Please fix this for this engine version too, so users don't have to put up with this issue in:

- Sam & Max Season 2
    - Strongbad
    - Tales of Monkey Island

I hope somebody at Telltale is reading this.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Actually, the reason we used to limit it to 4x3 and 16x9 is a very good one. It creates HUGE problems if we don't know exactly where the edges of the screen are going to be.

Then for WG we decided to enforce widescreen which meant that we no longer needed to limit it to those resolutions. With Monkey, we originally weren't going to enforce widescreen, but the week before the game shipped there was a last minute decision to change it (in fact even the press build shipped without it). As such, being able to pick any ol' resolution just slipped through the cracks in all of the other things going on. It's already been written up for 102 and will likely be fixed for that one.
  • OMAOMA
    edited July 2009
    Thanks a lot for your reply! I'm glad to read that this will be fixed for subsequent episodes (I hope this will also be fixed for the first episode on the final DVD version of ToMI).

Anyway, even if this weren't possible, it's a lot better to get an explanation on why it's not possible, than nothing at all, as it's been the case the last two years. We just got either no reply, standard "we'll look into it" replies with no follow-up, or even joking replies (no problem with jokes, of course, but it's still not very helpful :)). This is the first time someone at Telltale explains why those resolutions didn't show up. Thanks for taking the time to explain these little details.

This explanation makes sense, but still, in the same way that you support both 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions, you could have also supported the 16:9-ish resolution everyone with "HD Ready" panels have to use: 1360x768. It's an strange resolution, but it's (unfortunately) a widely used de-facto standard, and it's so close to 16:9 that you wouldn't have had problems with picture framing, even without enforcing 16:9.

This 1360x768 resolution is actually a 16.9.035 resolution (approx.) so, being just a few pixels short of 16:9, there's no reason why you couldn't have added it to the resolution list, even more so when you also support 16:10, which is much taller in comparison than 16:9.035 is taller than 16:9.

Too bad Sam & Max S2 and Strongbad DVDs are already out, which means those games won't be ever fixed.

Anyway, thanks again for clearing this issue up!
This discussion has been closed.