Video issues displaying UI elements

edited July 2009 in Game Support
Several people including myself having display issues as shown in screenshot here:
http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=149870&postcount=16

UI elements such as the inventory are showing up all black, but still appear to operate normally. (I can take items out of inventory even if I can't see them.)

Updated DX, drivers, etc etc. I'm using fairly old hardware but I haven't had a problem with previous Telltale games.

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    I'm not exactly sure why that might be. Changing graphics quality doesn't affect the darkness?
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure why that might be. Changing graphics quality doesn't affect the darkness?

I don't have the option. I assume that's some UI option that's not being displayed?
    edited July 2009
    Oh, hmm, yes that would be a problem. In another thread I attached a prefs.prop file. That might fix your problem, but just to be safe you might want to copy out your current prefs.prop to the desktop.
  • edited July 2009
    I am also having this problem combined with character voices not matching movements and considerable slowness. I tried using the file referenced and was told it was corrupt or invalid.
  • edited July 2009
    I have the exact same issue on XP with a GeForce Ti 4200 (latest drivers + DX). The menu is just text on a black background, and in-game the recipe and inventory is (near-) black too. The rest of the game (audio + visuals) seems fine.

Toggling full-screen or changing the resolution doesn't help, and the quality setting is locked to 1, so I can't change that. Any ideas? Thanks!

tomiingredient.png
    tomiinv.png
  • edited July 2009
    Exact same issue for me. Same video card too, but I thought this met the specs!
  • edited July 2009
    i also have an nvidia gforce card is the game not support nvidia cards?
  • edited July 2009
    Same problem for me. Not only that, but the game lags. I'd give you guys proper statistics for my videocard, but it's all in Dutch so it's hard to figure out what means what.

It's a Via/S3G Unichrome Pro igp videocard. ... If that means anything.
    edited July 2009
    Unfortunately, all of these cards listed are really pretty old, so there isn't a whole lot we can do about it. If the drivers and directx are up to date, then it may just not support a necessary lighting effect or something. If you can't get it to work, please write in to support@telltalegames.com for a refund
  • edited July 2009
    Then... This means we won't be able to play the game at all? Rather than receiving a better (perhaps downgraded?) version, we get our money back? I suppose it's fair, but... Does this mean we won't get the DVD at the end of the series either?
  • edited July 2009
    Same issue here, menus and inventory are all black.

Using NVIDIA Quadro 980 GXL graphic card, never had problems playing other games on this PC. :(

Update or I want my money back.
    edited July 2009
    Well the dvd would have all of the same problems as this version. They will be essentially the exact same game. We've got some people looking into it, but with video cards that old, we like just won't be able to support them.
  • edited July 2009
    Oh! I was under the assumption the DVD is as the name implies, just a DVD. A documentary about the Monkey Island series, or something similar. Some nice collector's item the Monkey Island fans would love to get their hands on.

And anyway, the 'DVD' could always be used a few years from now, when I get a new computer that DOES have the system requirements.
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Well the dvd would have all of the same problems as this version. They will be essentially the exact same game. We've got some people looking into it, but with video cards that old, we like just won't be able to support them.
    Can't you tell or ask someone in the loop the exact pixel shader version needed?

On Steam page it says: "Graphics: 64MB DirectX 8.1-compliant video card (128MB rec.)"

Now, DirectX 8.1-compliant can mean either Pixel Shader 1.3 or 1.4

GeForce Ti 4200(as someone posted this card here) supports Pixel Shader 1.3 but not 1.4. As we can see from the pics that the version 1.3 isn't enough so is the minimum Pixel Shader needed 1.4 or maybe even 2.0?

And people can check their Pixel Shader version from here: http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php
    Choose your card and look for the "PS/VS Version:" line, first number is Pixel Shader, 2nd number Vertex Shader.
    edited July 2009
    Theoretically, we should support both. But with different driver support and a thousand other factors sometimes the older stuff just doesn't quite work.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm just confused as to why the game has this problem on my computer that is supposed to have a better graphics card, but works (though a little choppy) on my laptop with just the standard intel chipset.
    So is this to say that all future episodes will have the same issue?
    edited July 2009
    I would say that it's likely to be true for future episodes as well.
This discussion has been closed.