Problems on Windows 7 64-bit

edited July 2009 in Game Support
So I installed the game on a PC that's running a 64-bit version of Windows 7. It wanted to install all kinds of DirectX components going back to 2005, which I found odd -- I would think the necessary ones are already *in* Windows 7?

This leaves me wondering if I corrupted DirectX by allowing it -- when the game finished installing and started, it was extremely slow. I had to bump it all the way down to Quality level 1 (the lowest) to get acceptable performance.

I quit and restarted the game to see if that was a fluke. Or tried to -- I then received an error message stating that the game's data files could not be found and consequently the game did not start. I was able to start the game, but only by manually digging down to C:\Program Files (x86)\ and finding the relevant application directly. The shortcuts didn't work.

This last problem may be related to the confusion between "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" on the 64-bit versions of Windows. But while I did get the game to run and it's enjoyable, even at graphics quality level 1, this does feel like the installer is sloppy when it comes to DirectX and that there's some polish/QA/beta testing missing. :(

Comments

• edited July 2009
    TOMI was confused by Program Files (x86)? It correctly detected them for me (though admittedly, on Vista).
  • edited July 2009
    It installed in the right place, but the shortcuts in the start menu, and in Programs -> Games (as accessed from the start menu) do not work. I get a dialog that says:

Error

Could not load game data! Make sure you are running the application from the directory it was installed to.
  • edited July 2009
    Starting it from the Games folder doesn't work for me either.
  • edited July 2009
    tmierror.png
  • jmmjmm
    edited July 2009
    Did you install with an administrator account?
  • edited July 2009
    jmm wrote: »
    Did you install with an administrator account?

Writing software on the assumption that you have administrative privileges is horrendously bad design. But even so, yes, my account does have administrative rights. The system is, however, UAC-enabled.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm somewhat flummoxed. I presume that you've uninstalled / reinstalled the game?
  • edited July 2009
    Not yet. I'd like to understand why the game is installing DirectX software development kits (SDKs) at all, let alone ones from 2005, on an OS from 2009. And I'm not sure if I need to uninstall and reinstall without letting it touch DirectX, whether I need to restore a Windows backup from prior to my first install attempt, or whether I should reinstall with the same settings.

I'd really like some feedback on both problems from TellTale before I experiment further.
  • edited July 2009
    I didn't realise it was installing a DX from 2005 :o. Epic. Fail.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm having the same issue with the shortcuts and I didn't use the default path for the installation. The game runs absolutely smooth for me on the max quality level @ 1680 x 1050, though.
  • edited July 2009
    Estel: It goes through apparently every SDK Microsoft has released for DirectX from 2005 onwards. It took about 15 minutes to download and install all of them, far longer than it took to download the actual game. And I still don't understand the need.

As far as I'm concerned, a software development kit should not be needed to install or run the final product. So I'm confused by that procession of SDKs.
  • jmmjmm
    edited July 2009
    Writing software on the assumption that you have administrative privileges is horrendously bad design. But even so, yes, my account does have administrative rights. The system is, however, UAC-enabled.

Hey, I'm only trying to help here.

I asked because I installed it just fine and I have UAC enabled (I develop software so I have UAC enabled to check if my software works with UAC)

Are you running Build 7100? English Version?
  • edited July 2009
    I had the same problem as you, with the same OS.

Uninstall the game and then right-click the game installer file and select "Run as administrator". This fixed it for me.
  • edited July 2009
    The DirectX SDK updates are optional updates that Microsoft has made to DirectX since it was released. Most newer games will ask you to do this, since they may make use of some of the updates that have been released, and the installer will only install those updates that are missing, so you won't corrupt anything (actually, I don't think they replace any files - I think that each SDK update is installed to a separate folder to maintain backwards compatibility).

I'm also having the problem with not being able to run the game from the x64 Windows 7 Game Launcher.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm having trouble in Windows 7 RC1 Build 7100 as well. Basically same error as OP. Game ran on 1024x768 resolution but crashed the second I tried to change it to my 24" LCD native resolution (1900x1200).

Will try to uninstall and reinstall with "run as administrator" and report back if it does something.
  • edited July 2009
    I would think the necessary ones are already *in* Windows 7?

As far as I know Windows 7 does not include DirectX 9, but DirectX 10.
    The same "problem" applies to Windows Vista.
    It's perfectly normal that it wants to install all Updates since 2005 ;)

@Estel: Not from 2005. It installs all Updates that were released from 2005 until today.

I can't run the game from the Games-menu, it only works if I launch the shortcut in the installation directory.
  • edited July 2009
    Strayer wrote: »
    As far as I know Windows 7 does not include DirectX 9, but DirectX 10.
    The same "problem" applies to Windows Vista.
    DX10 includes the DX9 runtimes.
    The DirectX SDK updates are optional updates that Microsoft has made to DirectX since it was released.
    But Telltale need only distribute the end-user runtimes, not the SDK.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm using W7 RC 64 bit version and the games runs just fine... I've previously installed directX 9c end-user runtimes (dx10 are already installed) and the game when installed didn't made any problem ;)
  • edited July 2009
    Problem: Game doesn't start on Windows Vista.

It looks like this:
    I followed the instructions above to reinstall the game as Administrator. That worked fine. Directx 9 components installed fine too.
    Then I click on the Shortcut on the Desktop (again Run as Admin) and the Launch Menu pops up. I click on "Launch" and the game loads to the first screen with "Monkey Island, etc Avast". Then the game suddenly drops me out and back to the desktop, but keeps running in the background. When I open it in Task Manager and say "Switch to" it switches to it, the screen goes Black and goes back to desktop.

System is very up to date with Nvidia Gforce 280GTX, Core2Quad Q9550 CPU etc. so I don't see any issues there. Monitor is running natively in 1650x1080.

Any ideas?
  • edited July 2009
    sobits wrote: »
    System is very up to date with Nvidia Gforce 280GTX, Core2Quad Q9550 CPU etc. so I don't see any issues there. Monitor is running natively in 1650x1080.

I'm sorry. You don't have a good enough graphics card.
  • edited July 2009
    Estel wrote: »
    But Telltale need only distribute the end-user runtimes, not the SDK.
    It IS the end-user runtime that is being distributed. You can download it yourself here. What's being installed are "the bi-monthly D3DX, XInput, and Managed DirectX components". It means that anything new that has been introduced with an SDK update can be used.

I don't know what the problem is - as I said, pretty much all newer games expect you to do this.
  • edited July 2009
    jmm wrote: »
    Hey, I'm only trying to help here.

I asked because I installed it just fine and I have UAC enabled (I develop software so I have UAC enabled to check if my software works with UAC)

Are you running Build 7100? English Version?

Yes, build 7100, Ultimate, US English.
  • edited July 2009
    goweb wrote: »
    It IS the end-user runtime that is being distributed. You can download it yourself here. What's being installed are "the bi-monthly D3DX, XInput, and Managed DirectX components". It means that anything new that has been introduced with an SDK update can be used.

I don't know what the problem is - as I said, pretty much all newer games expect you to do this.

I guess I'm not much of a gamer; this is the first game I've bought in a long time. Even so, the amount of these "updates" is ridiculous. So none of this comes with the OS (even the ones released before the OS shipped) and it's not possible to simply provide the latest update, rather than ALL of them?

I mean, the amount of updates I had to download DWARFED the game itself.
  • edited July 2009
    I was able to resolve the speed issue, albeit at a cost of about $75 for a new video card. Granted, I'd relied on integrated graphics before; however, those integrated graphics were of a fairly modern geforce variety with 256MB of RAM. The new card, a GeForce 9400GT with 1GB VRAM, scores a 4.7 for 3D graphics performance, compared to a 3.4 on the integrated graphics. I guess I just didn't realize how complex the graphics are to render.

I am more miffed about the installation issue. The "run as administrator" trick worked for me as well, but it infuriates me:

- There should be NO reason why a GAME should need administrative privileges on my machine
    - If there is some reason of which I am unaware, the installer should INFORM ME and politely bring up a UAC prompt, not silently fail in weird and bizarre ways.

Anyway. End rant.
  • edited July 2009
    Didn't work for me, too (x64, Win7 Build7100) - thanks for the hint with running the installer as admin.

This is rly bad design if it installs, let's you play but after that won't work anymore :eek:
  • edited July 2009
    Having the same issue here on Win7 x64 as well. The start menu link gives out the same error message. It's okay though, I can juste create a shortcut to the actual exe.

I also didn't mind the additional 15 minutes DX download all that much. I assume this is a Microsoft issue more than it is Telltale's.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, it's pretty absurd that Microsoft doesn't include the most recent DX9 stuff in their operating systems. Especially since DX10 and 11 doesn't actually replace DX9.
  • edited July 2009
    Just make sure to include all the necessary runtimes when you ship the game on disc ;)
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    They will be :)
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »
    They will be :)

How about a fix for the installer issue? That one doesn't seem to be Microsoft's fault. :P
  • edited July 2009
    - There should be NO reason why a GAME should need administrative privileges on my machine

1. Program Files is not open to normal user writing;
    2. "Windows installer" (the library/background service) is owned by the administrator (go figure).
    - If there is some reason of which I am unaware, the installer should INFORM ME and politely bring up a UAC prompt, not silently fail in weird and bizarre ways.

If you have UAC on, it should bring up a prompt, unless UAC believes it to be malware.

That would be Microsoft's fault. The amount of installers I have personally seen evaluated as malware is insane. Certain (and they shall remain unnamed) updates from the Microsoft download site have been seen to silently fail too. All in the name of security.
  • edited July 2009
    For the record, I did get the UAC prompt. The install still gave the Game menu shortcut problem. I don't quite get the difference between accepting a UAC prompt and executing as admin, TBH. Shouldn't they be the same thing?

And can it technically be deemed Telltale's fault if it only occurs on Windows 7, an unreleased OS we're all experimentally running in its non-final form?
  • edited July 2009
    Turophile wrote: »
    1. Program Files is not open to normal user writing;
    2. "Windows installer" (the library/background service) is owned by the administrator (go figure).

This is for the installer. Installlers normally run with administrative privileges under Windows 7, and I did get (and accepted) the UAC prompt for the installer.

My objection is to the GAME running with administrative privileges, not the installer.
    Turophile wrote: »
    If you have UAC on, it should bring up a prompt, unless UAC believes it to be malware.

That would be Microsoft's fault. The amount of installers I have personally seen evaluated as malware is insane. Certain (and they shall remain unnamed) updates from the Microsoft download site have been seen to silently fail too. All in the name of security.

The installer brings up the prompt fine. But to get the shortcuts to work, I had to first delete them, then put the actual executable into compatibility mode (XPSP2 is what I chose) *and* give it administrative privileges.

After I did that, recreating the shortcut manually works perfectly, although of course it, too, now requires a UAC prompt.
  • edited July 2009
    I don't think you have to do that. I know I didn't. Just navigate to the program files (x86) directory where the game is installed and launch the .exe. It works for me with no special compatibility settings.
  • edited July 2009
    I like being able to launch my games from the start menu or from the games explorer, as opposed to having to manually navigate four layers deep in my folder hierarchy to play.

There's no reason that SHOULDN'T work, and as someone else pointed out, Windows 7 won't be "experimental" come October. I'm guessing it's a simple fix, and I'd encourage TellTale to look into it, release an updated version of Episode 1 that fixes it, and ensure the bug is not in future episodes.
  • edited July 2009
    Not to mention, another thread seemed to indicate that TellTale actually took the effort to code in support for the Games Explorer, which means they've developed for Windows 7.
  • edited July 2009
    Not to mention, another thread seemed to indicate that TellTale actually took the effort to code in support for the Games Explorer, which means they've developed for Windows 7.

I thought Vista also included Games Explorer?

Anyways, I expect the fix for this to come out... oh about when Win7 hits the store shelves :)

It seems they've got enough on their plate as it is, gotta triage.
This discussion has been closed.