Monkey Island on a Mac

edited January 2011 in Game Support
Ok so using Cross over games and using This method
I made Sam and Max work perfectly. Using the same method on a different bottle I attmepted to install TOMI. It worked fine except for two things. 1 the game will not show up in the installed programs menu (Like S&M did) and 2 the game gets no sound at all.
I was wondering if anyone found a way to make TOMI work through Crossover (I can't use the other programs because I don't have a copy of XP anymore)

Anyways thanks

UPDATE: Problem Solved:
razzberry wrote: »
regarding Crossover, I just managed to get it to work. The first time I installed it following the instructions linked in that post exactly and had the same issue (graphics, but no sound, and no item in the Program menu).

So, instead I did the exact same thing but instead of changing the bottle to Vista, I changed it to WinXP before installing TMI. Everything seems to be working perfectly fine for me now.

The "Launch Game" button still doesn't appear in either installations, but clicking around in the area where it should be does eventually get it to load.

Hope that helps!

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I've been trying to get it to work using every method I can think of, still no luck. Had I known this I would probably not have preordered and bought it via Steam instead...
  • edited July 2009
    I'm seriously at my wits end >< I'm about ready to start yanking my own hair out.
  • edited July 2009
    tried using parallels.... crashes after i click launch...
  • edited July 2009
    Same here.. I doesn't want to start with Parallels ..

No what? Other Windows games do run with Parallels.. anyone got it to work ?? Help is much appreciated
  • edited July 2009
    It's really odd. I mean, I can run way more demanding games in both Crossover and Prallels without any problems, but here it just fails.

I've tried Crossover, Windows XP and Windows 7. Last two using Parallels.

To me it seems that the launcher is the problem as the game doesn't even load up. The only place I get an error is in Windows 7, but that seems to be common even when not emulated from what I can tell on the forums.

I don't have a bootcamp installation, but it looks like the only alternative. Shame.

A final note - it might work using a wrapper. I've never tested very much with it and don't know how much of it is allowed even, but could worth testing.
  • edited July 2009
    It indeed seems the launcher.. I'm configuring Bootcamp now, but that's a bummer as I have installed Parallels.. and now I have this sh*t..

Let's keep eachother informed if somebody get its working in Bootcamp then
  • edited July 2009
    Ok, got finally got it to load by using the prefs file posted in another thread here, but I still have no sound... Really strange.
  • edited July 2009
    Any updates? Got the sound to work? I'm now rebooting and trying to get it to work with the pref file...

Damn now I know why I never play PC-games.. damnit.
  • edited July 2009
    can some one post a link to the pref file?
  • edited July 2009
    I get sound, but no video - want to swap? :-P

Using Crossover 8 with XP bottle and IE6. That way I can launch the demo mode after closing error windows and clicking where I know the launch game button should be.

Why oh why this crappy launcher Telltale?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    While I know next to nothing about crossover and the like, I will say that nothing in the launcher should affect sound or video in the game proper. It's likely two separate issues. Sorry! If you guys get completely stumped and can't get it to work, we will be happy to provide refunds of course. Just email support@telltalegames.com.
  • edited July 2009
    It's just such a strange problem. It's not unusual for games to gain a few bugs when run under CrossOver/Wine, but no audio at all? Are you using some fancy DirectX component for audio playback that differs from earlier games? Sam & Max works fine for me, just a little stuttering on graphics-intense scenes but that's my computer being old and tired...
  • edited July 2009
    Using VMWare Fusion with WinXP it installs and runs. A little slow but playable.
    edited July 2009
    It's pretty baffling to be honest. I don't *believe* anything has changed that would affect it, but it's really pretty hard to tell.
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »
    While I know next to nothing about crossover and the like, I will say that nothing in the launcher should affect sound or video in the game proper. It's likely two separate issues. Sorry! If you guys get completely stumped and can't get it to work, we will be happy to provide refunds of course. Just email support@telltalegames.com.

Thanks for your reply and I must say that I'm impressed that you'd offer a refund although you've hardly said it would work on Mac.

But, I'm not giving up yet :-P

Oh, and of course you are right - the problem is two-fold, but the launcher is the biggest obstacle atm. It's the one not letting me in using Parallels and it forces us to do some odd work arounds in Crossover, that might be causing the 2nd problem instead.

But something has to have changed? I've tested S&M and it worked without any problems.

I am curious though if it works when running it in Steam. Will test the demo and report back.

Edit: Doh! No demo version over at Steam.
    edited July 2009
    Ok, I misspoke, *LOTS* has changed since S&M. Not much has changed since WG. And a bit has changed since HSR.
  • edited July 2009
    I've managed to get the launcher working on parallels on mac by setting the compatibility mode to vista or xp (running win7rc1), but when I'm launching the game it crashes every time.
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »

Thanks for the offer but It's monkey island, I could never ask a refund on that. I'll just hijack some one's PC if need be :P
  • edited July 2009
    Just for the record, I just started playing in XP on Bootcamp and so far (I'm just past the prologue/tutorial scene) the game works fine - though it crashed once when I first wanted to start a new game from the main menu, I've had no problems since then.

This is on a Macbook Pro 13.3".
  • edited July 2009
    It definitely works in BootCamp; I finished the entire game without issue last night.

Also, regarding Crossover, I just managed to get it to work. The first time I installed it following the instructions linked in that post exactly and had the same issue (graphics, but no sound, and no item in the Program menu).

So, instead I did the exact same thing but instead of changing the bottle to Vista, I changed it to WinXP before installing TMI. Everything seems to be working perfectly fine for me now.

The "Launch Game" button still doesn't appear in either installations, but clicking around in the area where it should be does eventually get it to load.

Hope that helps!
  • edited July 2009
    Update:
    I just played through the entire game using Crossover Games with no issues at all. Using XP instead of Vista should do the trick.
  • edited July 2009
    Got it working. I'm enjoying the game to it's fullest thanks guys :D
  • edited July 2009
    worked perfectly! Thanks!
  • edited July 2009
    Does anybody got it to fully work in Parallels?
  • edited July 2009
    Does anybody got it to fully work in Parallels?
    Some people on these forums have reported that it's not supported by Parallels but by VMWare. I'm playing it flawlessly through Boot Camp to avoid any unwanted glitch/slow-down/etc.
  • edited July 2009
    Oke I guess I have no other option then!
  • edited July 2009
    I went to look on Parallels support pages and doesn't look any better there I'm afraid. They apparently have a history of not working with TTs games.

As for the above mentioned fix with Crossover - it works, but not without flaws.

I'm using Crossover 8 and have to actually perform a OS reboot each time before launching ToMI to avoid video problems. Even still, I sometimes get no keyboard controls.
  • edited July 2009
    Tell you what you Survey Landlubbers, I got it running on Parallels.

What I did was, with a fresh XP installation:
    1. Install Serivce Pack 3
    2. Get all possible updates from Windows Updates including IE8 & .net Framework
    3. Lots of rebooting
    4. Download very lastest Direct X redist from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en
    5. Even more rebooting
    6. Tada - working.

Even providing a screenshot for non-believers.

fkyahk.jpg
  • edited July 2009
    Jeaz wrote: »
    As for the above mentioned fix with Crossover - it works, but not without flaws.

I'm using Crossover 8 and have to actually perform a OS reboot each time before launching ToMI to avoid video problems. Even still, I sometimes get no keyboard controls.

That's odd. I've heard other people with the keyboard issue, but I'm not sure what causes it.

As reference, on my MacBook Pro, I run it at 1440x900, Quality 3 and Fullscreen. At this resolution, the program fills the entire screen except for the application bar at the top. I can also use the F-keys as with any other Mac window. My cursor shows up the entire time on top of the in-game X, but the X doesn't disappear along the left edge.

No issues with graphics whatsoever. I sat down and replayed the entire thing (barring saving and quitting at the beginning to test it), without a single issue.
  • edited July 2009
    Jeaz wrote: »
    Tell you what you Survey Landlubbers, I got it running on Parallels.

What I did was, with a fresh XP installation:
    3. Lots of rebooting
    4. Download very lastest Direct X redist from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en
    5. Even more rebooting
    6. Tada - working.

Even providing a screenshot for non-believers.

Hmm i did the windows and direct x updates and it did launch but it looks seriously messed up... backround is ok buy multicolored shapes flood the screen
  • edited July 2009
    I'm having the same problems... I managed to play Sam and Max fine using parallels on my Mac, but I can't seem to even start Monkey Island without it crashing right after the "Monkey Island Avast" screen.

I've gone through all the windows updates... any other suggestions?
  • edited July 2009
    Just to be sure, which version of Parallels are you using? I'm using latest 4.0 Build 3844.
  • edited July 2009
    I can confirm that TOMI works in Windows XP through Parallels 4.0 (latest build) on my MacBook Pro (pre-Unibody) after installing Service Pack 3 and all the critical/important updates after that. I didn't need to install IE8. I stayed with IE7. Game launches and runs without visual artifacts either in 1024x768 or 1280x1024. I didn't change the default visual quality of 6.
  • edited July 2009
    Jeaz THANKS DUDE! Everything works perfectly well... at least the beginning of the game so I hope the rest of the game will run fine :-)
  • edited July 2009
    Right, so I'm doing this on crossover games. With Vista, the graphics run perfectly but there's no sound. With XP, there's the sound but no graphics. Can anyone help?
  • edited July 2009
    Update: The game now launches 1/3 of the time, so that's fine. Graphics are a bit freezy especially on the prologue. My keyboard doesn't work at all, which means that as soon as I reach De Singe's lab i'm stuck. Luckily, I have a PC in the house as well, but it would be nice to get this sort of thing working here.

So, anyone got any ideas about the keyboard issue?
  • edited September 2009
    My game doesn't start after the launch screen.

I'm trying to run it on a MacBook Pro with latest build of Parallels 4 and XP SP3 (everything but IE6 and WMP9 is updated).
  • edited January 2011
    3. Lots of rebooting
    5. Even more rebooting
    6. Tada - working.
    I also did all those AND enabled '3D hardware acceleration' in Parallels Graphic Settings.
    If I disable it, MI does not run.

Thanks & best regards
    schmunk
This discussion has been closed.