ToMI won't start with crossover on mac

edited December 2009 in Game Support
I used Crossover to install Tales of Monkey Island on my macbook pro, but the load-in screen won't display properly.
When I enter the serial number and press "submit query" nothing happens. There's no option for "No thanks, just take me to the demo"
Anyone else tried this method?
picture_1.png
picture_2.pngsub

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I got the same exact problem with the demo on crossover. Are you having this problem with the full version also?
  • edited July 2009
    Yes, I'm using the full version of the game.

For some reason the demo of Wallace and Grommit worked, though.
  • edited July 2009
    You need a proper html-renderer to display that screen, try installing ie6 into the same bottle.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm having the exact same problem. If you scroll around that window it says a number of bizarre things - firstly that I have a number of serial codes and I need to select just one to use (that's wrong - I've only ever bought one thing from Telltale, and it's this!) and also that I'm using an evaluation copy or something (also incorrect, I just paid for the game).

So, as a n00b to Crossover, can someone explain what's going wrong and what I need to do to fix it, in excruciating detail? ;)
  • edited July 2009
    As I said, you need a compatible html engine.

The window is basically just an internet browser that handles the log-in and the simple browser that is included in CrossOver doesn't render the page properly. So you need to install Internet Explorer.

If you're using the standard CrossOver, you have Internet Explorer 6 among your supported software, if you have CrossOver Games you'll have to download the installation from Microsoft and install it as unsupported.

In the first case the bottle created will be a win98 one, in the second I think you have to select win98 for it to install properly. Since ToMI doesn't support win98 you have to change the bottle type to xp or vista (Configure->Manage bottles->Control Panel->winecfg) After that you can install ToMI in that bottle!

I still haven't gotten the sound to work though, tell me if you succeed with that!
  • edited July 2009
    Hi dude,

Why IE6? Why not IE7?

Also, I do appreciate you coming back to explain in more detail but like I said I'm a complete beginner with Crossover (although I am very much a technophile) but your terminology confused me. So while you may feel you are having to repeat yourself by referring to this HTML renderer, it's irrelevant as I didn't know what you meant!

Anyway, on my own I tried downloading IE7 (before I read your post) and did pretty much exactly what you did with IE7 instead of IE6 and it didn't work at all. Nothing rendered any better.

Also why does IE6 have to be installed into a Win98 bottle, and how does changing the type of bottle after installing it so that you can then install TOMI not have an adverse affect on the contents of the bottle?

Also, why does Crossover tell me that installing something else into a bottle will likely result in errors?

Cheers!
  • edited July 2009
    no problem, happy to help!

Why IE6 instead of IE7? Because it works better in my experience, don't know why. Could be that older is simpler in some way.

Changing bottle types is mostly about what os is reported to the application, if I understand how wine works. To change bottle type after creation is likely inadvisable, but again, you get the game to run this way.

The whole idea behind bottles is to keep the applications in their own little happy world, free from outside interference, so it's not that strange for CrossOver to advise you to keep to one program per bottle.
  • edited July 2009
    I can't get your process to work at all. It seems to screw up in a variety of ways, never the same way twice.

At the moment I'm retrying the following:

- create new bottle in Win98 mode.
    - install IE6 into bottle.
    - change mode to WinXP.

It's this last stage that won't work. I go into winecfg and change the OS to XP and hit Apply then Okay, but the BOttle Manager still shows the bottle as being a Win98 bottle.

As such, TOMI won't even install into the bottle.

I did a WinXP bottle and deleted the Crossover HTML Renderer and installed IE6 into that, then TOMI, then ran TOMI and got a Telltale window with a grey screen, then a white screen, then nothing - not even the Serial entry screen.

Seems I've wasted $35. Wow.
  • edited July 2009
    The bottle manager doesn't change the bottle version for me either, I guess it reads some variable set at bottle creation rather than what version the bottle is currently set to.
  • edited July 2009
    I installed IE into the ToMI bottle, but now ToMI won't even come up with the loading screen. The icon appears on the dock for a few seconds then disappears.
  • edited July 2009
    Try it the other way around, first IE and then ToMI into the same bottle. That made it work for me.
  • edited July 2009
    Do i need to launch IE before TOMI or is it enough to have it just installed in the same bottle
  • edited July 2009
    Should be enough just to have them in the same bottle...
  • edited July 2009
    still no luck. ToMI just keeps refusing to start up, or display a screen of any kind, whenever it has to share a bottle
  • edited July 2009
    exact same thing is happening to me. any help?
  • edited July 2009
    bump, I am using the demo version of Crossover, could that be why?
  • edited December 2009
    With IE6 in there, I get the white screen. It no longer asks for a serial number, but it won't play either.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited December 2009
    From my experience with CrossOver Games and information I've gathered on these and Codeweavers' forums, there are two possible ways to get Telltale's games to run in CrossOver Games.
    The Internet Explorer 6 one described hereabove and at this page and an Internet Explorer-free one described at this one.
    I'm not sure why the Internet Explorer 6 technique is not working for you but I "stumbled" upon the other one when the first one was not working with Wallace & Gromit and, apparently, it works for the other Telltale games as well, even though I've been told that it didn't in CrossOver Games versions prior to 8.1.2.
    In addition, when CrossOver Games 8.1.3 was released and I installed it, none of my Telltale games ran anymore and I went back to 8.1.2. Codeweavers is aware of the problem and is working on it.
    Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.