A Defence of Minecraft: Story Mode

2»

Comments

• Okay ;)

You probably already hungry from this pictures :Р

Alright, that's good. I think people are starting to get a full stomach from all the food pictures. Let's try to stick to responses that stay on topic and don't have as many food pictures. Thanks.

• They may just concealing the character roles for now as a surprise. Or, what could be awesome is if it was the player's choice to designate roles to the others. That could be another reason, and a good one at that. But it seemed to at least set up the basic story, and we know that we will play as part of a group trying to save their world from an unknown threat. So you could say that it was more of a teaser trailer than an actual trailer.

i think the trailer could have been better, all i know about that game from the trailer is that it is a minecraft game made by telltale.

• Yeah I think that pretty much sums it up. There are a lot of different misconceptions that are driving the pessimism around this game, and that was why I thought I needed to challenge them in this post. I'm sure that the game itself will be able to stop a lot of the hating once released

Scaroen posted: »

Clapping. More clapping. That was one of the best posts I've ever read. I agree with everything you say, and I'm 98% for Minecraft: Story

• no, i think the characters are going to dictate their roles, it won't be like " hey you, be an expert in redstone now"

and really at what part does the trailer tell you the group is trying to save the world from an unknown threat, it just seemed like random clips to me, the only thing the trailer informed me of is what it would look like, i already knew the game was being made, basically it didn't inform or entice me at all (except dave fennoy is in it) and that is what a teaser or a trailer is supposed to do.

Someguy12 posted: »

They may just concealing the character roles for now as a surprise. Or, what could be awesome is if it was the player's choice to designate

• edited July 2015

Awesome post. I never understood the cash-grab argument, because the same can be argued about every teltale game since 2011.And as you said Telltale is a company, and as such their goal is to get money. Hopefuly the money will serve to tweak future games

• edited July 2015

I think there's one key thing that needs to be added onto that though. I myself don't know of any company or creator who would create something if they didn't have the slightest bit of interest in the product. And I'm not talking about financial interest here, though that obviously has a hand in things. At least the concept is foreign to me anyway, and it would likely lead to a soulless product.

Basically, I'm sure Telltale are making this because 'they genuinely want to', in addition to the financial incentives. And while the story may or may not be up to snuff, it's quite clear to me it's the sort of game they'll have a lot of fun making, regardless of public reception. Which is all that matters at the end of the day and it is, quite frankly, the only defense that's needed. Not that there is a need to defend this, because it's hardly like they're touching on a controversial topic like real world issues that could touch a nerve.

ps3gamer095 posted: »

Awesome post. I never understood the cash-grab argument, because the same can be argued about every teltale game since 2011.And as you said

• The line was something like "Everyone's running away, except for you", so there is definitely some sort of threat that scaring everyone away. But it would be cool if the player was given some choice in dictating roles, even if it sounds unrealistic

no, i think the characters are going to dictate their roles, it won't be like " hey you, be an expert in redstone now" and really at what

• Yeah my bad, forgot to add on personal incentives too, will put in now.

Rob_K posted: »

I think there's one key thing that needs to be added onto that though. I myself don't know of any company or creator who would create someth

• that is a pretty vague line, it could have just been talking about the zombies or creepers, and the dictating the roles of the other characters is completely unrealistic (ie. never gonna happen) it would be like deciding that kenny should be the nerd and doug should be good with guns in TWDG, it's a ridiculous concept

The line was something like "Everyone's running away, except for you", so there is definitely some sort of threat that scaring everyone away. But it would be cool if the player was given some choice in dictating roles, even if it sounds unrealistic

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited July 2015

i think the trailer could have been better, all i know about that game from the trailer is that it is a minecraft game made by telltale.

i think they should have done a character trailer, because from what i have heard the characters have their own roles (or type of minecraft player equivalent) ie. architect, redstone engineer, griefer etc. and if the trailer could have introduced the game by showing this i think the reception would have been better, i mean it seems like the main character is a newb, but that is all i could really tell, i don't like spoiler trailers, but i think more would have been better in this case

Admittedly, yeah - the trailer could've done a better job in my opinion at explaining the concept of how this story would work in the Minecraft universe. I think if they made it like the Tales from the Borderlands trailer, where they had some self-aware skit leading into the trailer explaining where this game fit in with Minecraft (in this case, explaining what kinds of choice we would make), that would have been a little better. Even in trailers for other choice-based Telltale games, you could kinda get a gist of what choices you would be making - survival and moral choices in Walking Dead, choices that exaggerate your tall tale in Borderlands, etc. Of course, it helps that those other universes had more of an inherent story, but I think they should've given an indication as to what kinds of choice you would be making instead of solely showing cinematics.

You would still have people inherently hating the game just by virtue of it not being Walking Dead Season 3/Wolf Among Us Season 2/etc since they aren't the intended audience for Minecraft, but it would also leave Telltale in a better position to show what all they were trying to do with the game.

• edited July 2015

yeah there would still be hate with a better trailer, but i think there would be more people interested, and i'm not saying i could do a better job, but maybe a voiceover or more text explanation would have helped, or even scenes what aren't actually in the game but explain the premise much more succinctly would be good

i think this lego trailer explains the plot and a lot of the main characters pretty well without spoiling it

https://youtu.be/lPnY2NjSjrg

• Hey man a guy can dream!! Jokes aside, it would be a mammoth task I guess

that is a pretty vague line, it could have just been talking about the zombies or creepers, and the dictating the roles of the other charact

• Alt text

Dude, This is like you took My shitty defense post, and all other Defense posts, Mashed them together, and somehow, SOME. HOW. Made them make so much sense that even the haters are like, "Hmm, Good points."

I applaud you my friend. You've really made a great argument on this, and I'm sure everyone can see your point on this. You've won me over, and you have my full backing up in any argument that may ensue on the forums that involve you. Good work!

• Telltale don't Do Bad Games anymore. They Do Games that just isnt for everyone. If you don't like TTs Minecraft, it's Not because it's a Bad Game, it's because it's Not YOUR Type of Game. It's As easy As that.

• Haha no problem, just saw some issues that needed to be addressed. But yeah, I did read other people's defending arguments too and incorporated different ideas and sentiments into my post, trying to present it in a logical and fair way

Dude, This is like you took My shitty defense post, and all other Defense posts, Mashed them together, and somehow, SOME. HOW. Made them mak

• I wasn't aware that Telltale Games used to make bad games.

Even t heir early stuff is solid to this day, albeit a bit outdated due their engine was quite limited back then.

GSSalvador posted: »

Telltale don't Do Bad Games anymore. They Do Games that just isnt for everyone. If you don't like TTs Minecraft, it's Not because it's a Bad Game, it's because it's Not YOUR Type of Game. It's As easy As that.

• Yeah. Mine was calm and logical too, But I worded it completely wrong.

Haha no problem, just saw some issues that needed to be addressed. But yeah, I did read other people's defending arguments too and incorporated different ideas and sentiments into my post, trying to present it in a logical and fair way

• I'm a diabetic...

Karnedg2013 posted: »

I give you cookies!

• ...Sorry :(

I'm a diabetic...

• I liked Telltale's past games.

Clord posted: »

I wasn't aware that Telltale Games used to make bad games. Even t heir early stuff is solid to this day, albeit a bit outdated due their engine was quite limited back then.

• the jurassic park game was quite the chore to play, but the actual story was quite good

Clord posted: »

I wasn't aware that Telltale Games used to make bad games. Even t heir early stuff is solid to this day, albeit a bit outdated due their engine was quite limited back then.

• Finally, Something that I can agree on.
    I've been waiting for someone to write this up ever since MC:SM's trailer had been release.

Thank you so much for writing it out. ; u;
    (and mind my terrible English. blah.)
    Alt text

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Welcome to the forums.

Finally, Something that I can agree on. I've been waiting for someone to write this up ever since MC:SM's trailer had been release. Thank you so much for writing it out. ; u; (and mind my terrible English. blah.)

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited July 2015

The dinosaurs and characters were pretty good too.

the jurassic park game was quite the chore to play, but the actual story was quite good

• Thanks, and I'm happy you agreed with it all mate

Finally, Something that I can agree on. I've been waiting for someone to write this up ever since MC:SM's trailer had been release. Thank you so much for writing it out. ; u; (and mind my terrible English. blah.)

• edited July 2015

i felt skeptical about TFTB because I knew it as a FPS

actually, if you're really a fan of borderlands, you know that IT HAS A STORY! IT HAS CHARACTERS! the characters are deep and dark. IT HAS A UNIQUE WORLD! ..yes, it is a FPS game, but it has a unique world that i dont think its fair to compare it to minecraft.

plus regarding TWAU, i will be honest that i was mad and disappointed when telltale announced minecraft. because TWAU has lore. has a world that many love dearly and been following for YEARS before minecraft, plus it was bases on a comic, imagine if you are a gamer and your fav comic turned into an greatly crafted vidoegame?. and they ended episode 5 with such a cliffhanger. most likely they wont make another season, and i think its unfair to many TWAU fans. at least give us a DLC explaining wth happened :/ .. instead of leaving us with nothing but A cliffhanger that will never be resolved or explained :/

and yes. i can disagree with an opinion, but those comment online are not ok. making fun of autism and the minecraft community. everyone has a right to feel passionate about what they like, if yours happen to be minecraft then thats awesome, but i dont like when people start insulting the community as a whole. i may not like minecraft story mode but many have, and thats ok. :)

KCohere posted: »

I agreed with most of your points except for saying TWAU did everything it could with the franchise. That sounds very dismissive of it when,

• CrazyGeorgeCrazyGeorge Banned
    edited July 2015

"They should be making TWAU S2, this is crap". The problem here is the issue of entitlement, and I'm gonna have to use hard business talk here. Being a customer to Telltale doesn't make you entitled to have them do what you want.

I don't agree with you here. Minecraft is a vain attempt to cash in, i know it. You know it. We all know it. So if TTG wants to alienate its current fans to adopt a potential new fanbase, Goodluck with that; Konami's PR style, look at how well it worked out for Konami. Its not like there is going to be a lack of story games that are coming out. How will TTG stay competitive with Minecraft. It won't, with more games like Life is Strange will be released, taking more and more from that gamer pie, so gamers won't be spending money on TTG games.

IMO if TTG doesn't get their shit together, they will either go bankrupt or get bought out. It might not happen tomorrow, or a year from tomorrow. Its so easy to go under, i remember a couple years ago when THQ went under. All it takes is one dude wanting to sell off the company. Then it becomes part of Activation Blizzard or some other conglomerate.

To those that point to "Bad graphics", firstly remember that this is a Telltale game.

To me i think graphics is a personal opinion, some people like the art style some people do not.

To those that say that this is a clear "Cash-grab", well, isn't anything a company does a cash-grab?

Nope,

Witcher 3, Great Game.
    TWAU Also a great game.
    Fallout 3 - Great Game

The Walking Dead Survivor's Instinct.

Minecraft: Obvious, who is this game even being marketed towards? Children? Its obvious the only reason why they're making this is to try to make money with that MOBILE MARKET. They think it's the future of gaming.

• I feel as though you are making a rash generalisation by saying that the "current fans will be alienated". The fanbase they are producing for with this game is made up of people that like story-driven games and people that like Minecraft. It isn't like they are suddenly changing their style, and there shouldn't be too many fans turning away from Telltale purely because they disagree with one game. It was pointed out earlier in this thread that the last time this happened, it was because of TWD moving away from puzzles to decisions, and, while quite a few people turned away, most stuck with it and helped it become a critical/commercial success. There is no such monumental change here, so I doubt that the fanbase will be damaged severely. Also, I don't know much about Konami apart from the fact that they have hurt themselves badly. Can you explain why you think their situation is similar to Telltale's?

• My "bad graphics" point was targeted at those who use this excuse to discredit any Telltale game, including Minecraft. Sure, it can be important to many gamers, however my point was that bad graphics don't result in a bad game or story.

• Perhaps Cash-grab was too strong a word. But, the core idea remains: In **most ** cases, everything a company does is done to generate maximum profit, and they will do what they think will achieve this objective. Witcher 3, TWAU and Fallout 3 would all count as ways for a company to make money. This revenue was maximised by the game companies behind them making them as good as they possibly could. Looking at the points I made, it is clear that there is significant potential for huge commercial success, because Minecraft is already a powerful, established brand. You seem to suggest here that the fact that it is MINECRAFT is a bad thing, but that's wrong, given the reasons I have stated in the original post. The fact that it is Minecraft doesn't mean that it will be immature, easy or just plain-bad.
      So to sum up this bit, a drive for maximum revenue doesn't mean that there will be a bad end-product, and should actually encourage companies to make the product the best that they can (in theory)

CrazyGeorge posted: »

"They should be making TWAU S2, this is crap". The problem here is the issue of entitlement, and I'm gonna have to use hard business talk he

• edited July 2015

CrazyGeorge,

Don't mean to come after you how I did in another thread here and I hope we've put it behind us anyway, but:

I think, like many others, you're using the term 'cash grab' incorrectly. What Someguy12 said, about everything being a cashgrab, is partly correct and incorrect. I'll try to explain.

Anything that's being sold could be called a cash grab, because there's an attempt to earn money, if we wanted to be idiots. But that's not the correct meaning, which is why I've previously said I could call TWD S3 and, if it's ever released, TWAU S2 cash grabs because there's an established audience for them and such if I wanted to be an idiot.

The actual correct meaning is this:

cash grab – When movie studios produce unnecessary and often poor quality sequels in order to obtain more money.

http://thisisinfamous.com/just-admit-really-dont-know-cash-grab-means/

I'm not saying I agree with the tone of the piece or anything like that, but I agree with the gist of it. Until we've played it, it's rather hard to say something's a cash grab because we have absolutely no idea of the quality. And just because something is not to your liking doesn't make it a cash grab.

Essentially, a cash grab is something that's rushed out of the door, often at the detriment of quality, with the 'sole purpose' of making money. Do people remember the Air Control fiasco on Steam by any chance? That would be a perfect example, as there was plenty of false advertising and bugs up the wazzoo (spelling?) with absolutely no polish at all, with the end product seeming like it was put together in 5 minutes as an exaggeration. And it's honestly quite insulting for the cash grab thing to be thrown around.

PS: I should be clear that this post is said in general. So when I say 'your', I'm not addressing George in particular. Basically, only the first three lines were aimed at George in particular. Just gave me a launching point.

"They should be making TWAU S2, this is crap". The problem here is the issue of entitlement, and I'm gonna have to use hard business talk he

• I'll probably watch gameplay of it, doubt i'll buy it though.

• I feel as though you are making a rash generalisation by saying that the "current fans will be alienated"

TWDG fans have to wait for this, more importantly TWAU hasn't even got a scheduled release date. They just been pissing on that fanbase for the past year and a half. Eventually people will move on.

My "bad graphics" point was targeted at those who use this excuse to discredit any Telltale game, including Minecraft. Sure, it can be important to many gamers, however my point was that bad graphics don't result in a bad game or story.

I agree with you here completely. I am a gamer, i been playing a long time. Gaming in my opinion is a lot worse than when i was growing up. Now its all about the money, back when i was a kid , it was great. Late 90s to early to mid 2000s, was the best time for gaming in my opinion. So many good JRPGS came out, like Chrono Trigger for example. Its never been about the graphics to me, its about a interesting story that keeps me playing.

Perhaps Cash-grab was too strong a word. But, the core idea remains: In **most ** cases, everything a company does is done to generate maximum profit, and they will do what they think will achieve this objective. Witcher 3,

I don't disagree with you that a companies motive in the end is to make moeny, however they can do it in a way that doesn't feel like a rip off. For example, take Witcher3, this game has 90 hour story plus, now lets talk about what else was included when i bought my copy of the Witcher.

• I got a instruction manual- That is like huge now a days, for me anyways.
    • I got a map of the world. Sure its paper, but its better than not getting it.
    • I got a personalized thank you note, informing me of their gratitude of my purchase, and a promise of 16 free DLC.

* I feel as though you are making a rash generalisation by saying that the "current fans will be alienated". The fanbase they are producing

• OK, I agree with the release date point. In choosing to do this game, fans of other games will miss out. The hope on Telltale's part is that the games that those other fans might not like end up reeling them back in. In my opinion, this can absolutely happen and will happen in most cases, since Telltale creates projects that are interesting and attractive to fans. The year and a half point is arguable to me, but that's because I have really enjoyed their recent games, especially TFTB (which I think is their best game), but I'm guessing by your comment that the recent games are not in your taste - which is fair.

For the point about games that feel like a rip-off, all I can say is wait for the end-product and see it first-hand to value it effectively. Telltale won't give you a map or a thank you note when you buy their games, but some people (including myself) see their games as sufficient enough. In recent times, none of Telltale's work has left me worried that they will make a poor-quality game. But again, that is only my opinion, and you are free to disagree

I feel as though you are making a rash generalisation by saying that the "current fans will be alienated" TWDG fans have to wait for

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited July 2015

TWDG fans have to wait for this, more importantly TWAU hasn't even got a scheduled release date. They just been pissing on that fanbase for the past year and a half. Eventually people will move on.

Your quote implies that if Minecraft: Story Mode didn't exist, that Telltale would sooner work on Walking Dead: Season 3 as opposed to jumping off to another new franchise. Don't forget that, ever since 2012, Walking Dead fans have gotten content every year.

• 2012 - Season 1
    • 2013 - 400 Days, Premiere of Season 2
    • 2014 - Episodes 2-5 of Season 2
    • 2015 - Premiere of Michonne Mini-series, (possibly Episodes 2 and/or 3)
    • 2016 - Rest of Michonne (if it doesn't end in 2015), Premiere of Season 3
    • 2017 - (Rest of Season 3 if it doesn't end in 2016)

People who became Telltale fans because of Walking Dead act like Telltale is neglecting Walking Dead, but that isn't really true.

If Telltale only worked on games that were similar to Walking Dead and listened to the fans who begged for them to not take on other franchises that weren't already similar in Walking Dead in some way, we never would've gotten games like Wolf Among Us or Tales from the Borderlands that people now consider big hits. If you were around when Telltale showed off the new version of Wolf Among Us that incorporated Walking Dead's gameplay, you would've seen that there was a colossal bloodlust towards that game simply by virtue of it existing alongside Walking Dead: Season 2. People love it now and compare it to Walking Dead in terms of quality, but the Walking Dead fanbase in the past had very greatly despised and loathed the game's very existence in the past just by virtue of it being something that was not similar to Walking Dead at face value.

Minecraft is, very obviously, tonally different from Walking Dead/Wolf/Game of Thrones/etc so I'm not saying I expect the Walking Dead fanbase to come around, but rather my point is that Telltale branching out and getting some variety in isn't bad. If Telltale only every tried to accommodate one particular fanbase, we'd have never gotten games like Walking Dead in the first place. Yes, a dark and mature game was what made Telltale go mainstream, but it doesn't mean that Telltale's other current games are only capable of being good if they have a dark and mature storyline.

I feel as though you are making a rash generalisation by saying that the "current fans will be alienated" TWDG fans have to wait for

• Very solid post, my friend.

I'm definitely going to play it. Telltale does not disappoint, even when adapting different things into story/choice driven episodic games. People don't realize that it's not exactly pushing back TWDG, since we already need to wait until next year for S3, but we have this awesome looking Michonne game to look forward to. Plus, if I can spend hours watching Achievement Hunter's Let's Play Minecraft series, I can play this. Can't wait.

• I'm with you on the AH Letsplay Minecraft too, all hail the Mad King Ryan

Elphaba posted: »

Very solid post, my friend. I'm definitely going to play it. Telltale does not disappoint, even when adapting different things into story

• Yes! :) "You don't understand. Edgar is the one in the hole."

I'm with you on the AH Letsplay Minecraft too, all hail the Mad King Ryan

• Or the whole baby stuff - "I'm a good father!" XD

Elphaba posted: »

Yes! "You don't understand. Edgar is the one in the hole."

• Yes XD

Or the whole baby stuff - "I'm a good father!" XD

• edited July 2015

You sir have earned my respect. You gave very logical points as to why people shouldn't just jump to conclusions. You put passion into this post and that's what I like to see. Passion and logic. I applaud you for that.

• Thanks regulardude, I just saw an issue and tried to address it as best I could, without igniting a flame war of course

You sir have earned my respect. You gave very logical points as to why people shouldn't just jump to conclusions. You put passion into this post and that's what I like to see. Passion and logic. I applaud you for that.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.