Mr. Grossman and Zelda

edited October 2006 in General Chat
Dave Grossman wrote:
As for influential games, I must cite Legend of Zelda for the SNES. I long to design a game as tightly and ingeniously as that.

I didn't see that coming. But those words are true - there is not a place in that game where there weren't something of substance. I doubt a single string was wasted during the development.

Fantastic.

It was nice to read about the gaming interest and, well a lot of other things as I stumbled upon This and This

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2006
    Yeah, lots of good posts there. (For those who haven't seen it, Telltale did a developer's chat at Adventure Gamers right before Bone came out.)
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2006
    I thought it was right after Bone came out...

As for SNES games, I thought Chrono Trigger was even more perfect than Zelda was.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2006
    I thought it was right after Bone came out....

¬¬

It's all a blur. :D
  • edited October 2006
    Chrono Trigger > SNES,

http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/ sad that Square closed them down :(
  • edited October 2006
    Chrono Trigger was overrated. I've been playing the game, and all I can think is "wow, can the gameplay get any more shallow?". Mash the attack button. Repeat. Can't customize your character; they evolve on a direct line. The story is nice, and the characters are fairly charming, but it's on the shallow side on the whole. Definitely surpassed by the far superior Final Fantasy VI, and well as many other numerous, superior RPGs. A very good game, but it's not one of the all-time best.

A Link to the Past was pretty awesome. But the series really benefitted from the epic feel of Ocarina, IMO. The incredible design, pacing and overall cohesiveness makes it a better game. Now we just have to see if Twilight Princess surpasses it.

If we're talking about influential games, mine are a bit all over the map. Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door's understated, sweet brilliance floored me. Metroid Prime reminded me how lovely it was to get absolutely lost in a world. Ocarina of Time showed me what cohesion and pacing could do to individually solid elements. The Last Express showed me that interactive storytelling was possible, and just needed more commercial support and refinement. Grim Fandango really nailed the perfect mood, a world neither overly comedic or dramatic, ultimately feeling very real. Super Mario Brothers 3 was a brilliant demonstration of level design. Metal Gear Solid 2 showed me how significant plot twists could be. Nintendogs took empathy to a new level. And though they're not games, hearing the tales of Lord of the Rings and Tales of Narnia as a youth definitely explains why many of my stories tend to be epics. I've been influenced by other games, to be sure, but these are the ones that come to mind.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.