TMI's control scheme is pretty bad for PC users

edited July 2009 in Game Support
The entire control scheme of TMI is really horrible on the PC. It is painfully obvious that the controls were made to accommodate for the Wiimote+Nunchuck. The whole click+drag thing doesn't work very well, and it makes controlling Guybrush very difficult.

Would it be very much work to redo this control scheme for future episodes? Why can't the PC version work purely off of point+click versus point+click+drag?

I realize there is also the option of moving Guybrush with the directional keys on the keyboard, but that's also rather awkward... plus you can't run, or at least I haven't found a way to.

Any comments or feedback is appreciated. :(

Comments

• edited July 2009
    To run you hold down the Shift key... or you can double-click on an object to run to it.

EDIT: But I guess the game could make that more clear... there's just not much opportunity for running in the prologue/tutorial
  • edited July 2009
    Yes, I would like details on the controls in this game. There are lots of hidden shortcuts such as pressing E for quick examine of your inventory. I want to know this stuff D:
  • edited July 2009
    bobhobbit wrote: »
    To run you hold down the Shift key... or you can double-click on an object to run to it.

EDIT: But I guess the game could make that more clear... there's just not much opportunity for running in the prologue/tutorial

Hmm thanks for that tip. But still, while you can click on actual objects to walk to, you can't click on "blank" areas to walk to. Sometimes you're on a screen with very few objects to click on, or maybe the screen is large enough that you can't click on the object you want to walk to!

I mean... seriously. If I want to play this game effectively, I'd have to have three hands. 1 for hotkeying and holding shift, 1 for the directional keys, and 1 for my mouse. It's kind of sad.
  • SimplexSimplex Banned
    edited July 2009
    Almost every online review I read (all of them positive) criticised the controls. I hope Telltalle Games will return to their customers an unalienable right to choose "oldschool" point and click control scheme.
  • edited July 2009
    I mean... seriously. If I want to play this game effectively, I'd have to have three hands. 1 for hotkeying and holding shift, 1 for the directional keys, and 1 for my mouse. It's kind of sad.
    Actually, you can use WASD instead of the arrow keys to move around as well. So that gets rid of one hand! :D

That being said, I agree that the controls are a bit wonky for PC users. Hopefully they'll add in click moving later on.
  • edited July 2009
    Actually, you can use WASD instead of the arrow keys to move around as well. So that gets rid of one hand! :D

That being said, I agree that the controls are a bit wonky for PC users. Hopefully they'll add in click moving later on.

Holy crap. I don't know why I didn't try that earlier! lol. I guess that makes things a lot better, thanks! But yeah, still would've prefered mouse-only controls. :(
This discussion has been closed.