TOMI: menu screens are fine, game is laggy

edited July 2009 in Game Support
I'm not sure what the problem is. I have the game set to the lowest quality, and the menu screens are running perfectly fine, but when the game starts, the framerate drops to about five to nine frames per second.

I've shut down all other programs while playing, that hasn't helped. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it. That hasn't helped.

The Sam and Max games worked fine for me. So have SBCG4AP and the first two parts of W&G.

Muzzled gave me the exact same problem when I was playing it. It would go from fine to laggy and back to fine. I just downloaded it again an hour ago, and now it's running smoothly.

Can someone tell me what's going on?

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    It may be that your computer is having trouble keeping up with our advance of technology. Do you know what your system specs are? If not:

Go to your Start menu and click on Run.
    Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.
    Then go to the Display tab
    While here, the useful things for us:
    Name:
    Current Display Mode:
    Main Driver:
    Version:
    Date:
    Also, what is your operating system?
  • edited July 2009
    Name: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family

Current Display Mode: 1024 x 738 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Main Driver: igdumd32.dll

Version: 7.14.0010.1147 (English)

Date: 12/12/2006 10:50:10 AM

edited July 2009
    Your best bet is to try updating your driver. The Intel video cards are pretty darn weak I'm afraid, so you might not be able to get much out of it, but it's worth a shot. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2301&lang=eng
  • edited July 2009
    I'm having the same: after flash menu I have to wait for a looong time (about 5 minutes), then I get black screen. After another while skull and crossbones screen appears. Some time after it I can start playing, but the game is so laggy, that it's almost impossible to play even with lowest settings (640x480, 1).
    Wallace and Gromit demo worked just fine for me. Even Vampyre Story with higher specs required was playable.
    My specs:
    Name: Mobile Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
    Current Display Mode: 1024 x 738 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Main Driver: igxpmp.dll
    Version: 6.14.0010.4764 (English) [Intel page says it's current]
    Date: 2007-01-13 12:33:00
    Is there any way to do something with my poor computer that I can play ToMI and enjoy it?
  • edited July 2009
    The update won't work for some reason. I get a error screen that says that the driver installed is not validated for my computer.

Now my game is crashing after the title credits.
  • edited July 2009
    I guess you cannot install the old driver again?

Try going to the Computer manufacturer website and try get the driver from here.
  • edited July 2009
    GinnyN wrote: »
    I guess you cannot install the old driver again?

Try going to the Computer manufacturer website and try get the driver from here.

How do I find the computer manufacturer website?
  • edited July 2009
    You know, if your computer is a Dell, go to Dell's Website. Mine is HP, so I go to HP website...

(Sorry, I'm latin american and I can't find a better way to express it... My poor english knowledge!)
  • edited July 2009
    downloaded the newest video driver, it didn't fix anything. :(

I'll head down to Best Buy tomorrow. Get my compy a bigger hard drive and better video card.
  • edited July 2009
    I suppose is stupid to ask that now, but, Have you check the minimum specs? My trouble was the processor, everything else I have it in "recomended"
    edited July 2009
    Novotus, I know for a fact that your video card isn't supported. You will likely need to get a refund I'm afraid. Email support@telltalegames.com
  • edited July 2009
    I suppose is stupid to ask that now, but, Have you check the minimum specs? My trouble was the processor, everything else I have it in "recomended"
    I think that might be the problem.
    These are the minimim specs
    Operating system: Windows XP / Vista
    Processor: 2.0 GHz + (3 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent rec.)
    Memory: 512MB (1GB rec.) Sound: DirectX 8.1 sound device
    Video: 64MB DirectX 8.1-compliant video card (128MB rec.)
    DirectX®: Version 9.0c or better
    And this is what I got from dxdiag:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5600@ 1.83GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8ghZ
    Memory: 2038MB RAM
    DirectX: Version 10
    And I don't know how to check my video card XP
    Is there anyway to update my lappy's processor?

EDIT: Just found out how expensive that would be. I'll just stick with my earlier plan of upgrading my desktop.
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Novotus, I know for a fact that your video card isn't supported. You will likely need to get a refund I'm afraid. Email support@telltalegames.com

Thanks for your kindness and really fair-play company policy, but I'll rather buy a new graphics than give my pre-ordered ToMI back : ) Anyways, supporting people who brought MI back to live is worth my 35$ even if I wouldn't get anything for that.
    A little hint - driver from Intel didn't help, but after downloading new one from HP page (I have HP compaq DC7100 - maybe sound driver helped, too) and doing your msconfig trick the game was... well, on lowest settings it was playable. Just a little laggy durign the intro puzzle and in the town, but I was able to finish it (which I'm proud of).
    Thanks again.
    edited July 2009
    Awesome! Great to hear
  • edited July 2009
    Novotnus wrote: »
    and doing your msconfig trick the game was... well, on lowest settings it was playable. Just a little laggy durign the intro puzzle and in the town, but I was able to finish it (which I'm proud of).
    Thanks again.

Wait...what msconfig trick?
    edited July 2009
    the msconfig trick is the Clean Boot I occasionally recommend. To Boot Clean in Windows Vista

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »
    the msconfig trick is the Clean Boot I occasionally recommend. To Boot Clean in Windows Vista

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Great! It's working now. Thanks!
  • edited July 2009
    anglerush wrote: »
    And I don't know how to check my video card XP

Go to Run and write dxdiag. Then, check the Display tab.
    anglerush wrote: »
    Is there anyway to update my lappy's processor?

EDIT: Just found out how expensive that would be. I'll just stick with my earlier plan of upgrading my desktop.

Where did you find that?
  • edited July 2009
    Hi,
    I've only just got round to installing and playing TOMI. Very disappointed that I'm having a similar lagging problems with the game. The Animation is very jerky. Could be that my processor isn't powerful enough but my display diagnostics are:

Name: NVIDIA GeForce 6100
    Current Display Mode: 1280 x 720 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Main Driver: nv4_disp.dll
    version: 6.14.0011.7813 (English)
    Date: 18/09/2008 00:55:00
    Running on Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

I don't know whether it's the fact that it's 1.81 GHz that might be causing the problem but any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Danimate
    edited July 2009
    Hey Danimate,

It does seem likely that the processor would be holding you back. I'd say your best bet is to try turning off as many background programs as possible before playing the game, and then turning your graphics settings down a bit. The clean booting thing mentioned above would also probably help you greatly.
  • edited July 2009
    Go to Run and write dxdiag. Then, check the Display tab.

Where did you find that?

I called geeksquad. :)
  • edited July 2009
    Cheers Will.

I will look to improve my processor and sort out my background programs. Got far too much on my desktop.
    I can actually play it properly without any problems, just had to reduce the quality a fair amount. Still brilliant quality though, doesn't take anything away from the game. :o

Cheers

Danimate
  • edited July 2009
    I have tried the MSConfig boot. Didn't make any difference on the full quality so I definitely will assume it's a processor issue and will hopefully look to improve it. Just thankful I can still play the game which I'm enjoying. :D

Cheers

Danimate
This discussion has been closed.