Installer Error: Not a Win32 application.

edited July 2009 in Game Support
I downloaded the Tales of Monkey Island installer from my account management page at least 4 different times, and every time an error message appears whenever I try to run it. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Vista 32 bit, but I don't really have any other options of downloading the game. The error message is: C\Users\User\Downloads\LaunchOfTheScreamingNarhwal_Setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Is anyone getting a similar error? And if you have any methods of solving it, I'd love to know.

Thanks

Edit: I'm running on Vista 32 bit.

Comments

• SegSeg
    edited July 2009
    Could be a number of things, but it leads to the setup application getting either incomplete or modified between you and the downloaded file. A few questions:

* Who's providing your Internet access?
    * Do you have any anti-virus or other security software running? If so, what's the name and version of the software?
  • edited July 2009
    My service provider is Optimum Online. The only Anti-Virus software I have running at the moment in AVG Free.

I just recently upgraded to Windows 7 using the Release Candidate like an hour ago so I'm going to try re-downloading.
  • edited July 2009
    Yep, I just downloaded the game with no issues, I guess Windows 7 is the greatest :)
  • jmmjmm
    edited July 2009
    Just a little hint to anyone that runs into a similar problem:
    Clear your temporary internet files/web cache/whatever.

Sometimes browsers "download" the file, but instead are just copying the originally downloaded file (and if that is corrupt, all the "downloaded" files are just as corrupt)

Do note that download managers, download utilities or download "speeders" can do the same thing.

Similarly, if you have a proxy it may have cached the corrupted copy.

So barring an OS (re)installation, disable all the utilities, clean your cache and disable (temporarily) your proxy.
  • SegSeg
    edited July 2009
    jmm wrote: »
    So barring an OS (re)installation, disable all the utilities, clean your cache and disable (temporarily) your proxy.
    This. :)

I also should have thrown the NSIS installer failure page. Epically since I wrote it. It's been a long week...
This discussion has been closed.