Slow running, quality at 1

edited November 2009 in Game Support
So my computer has all the requirements,
and usually runs games very well.
(Sam and Max was lightening fast, haha)

but MI is still running incredibly slow.
I dropped the resolution\quality to the lowest settings,
and that made the menu run better,
but the gameplay is still incredibly lag-y.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I've experienced the same thing, and it's frozen a few times too
  • edited July 2009
    Can't really help you without knowing anything about your system, but there are some things that are always worth checking

The first thing to check would be the video driver, the second one your RAM usage. And finally, as impossible as that sounds, the audio drivers can sometimes cause hickups as well.

P.S. What GFX chip do you have and how much video memory? Shared or dedicated memory?
  • edited July 2009
    Have you updated your video card drivers?
  • edited July 2009
    Run less crappy hardware
  • edited July 2009
    rhaith wrote: »
    Run less crappy hardware
    If it runs Sam & Max well, it can run this too.
  • edited July 2009
    Teppic wrote: »
    If it runs Sam & Max well, it can run this too.

Not the same engine, so not really
  • edited July 2009
    I can play Sam and Max at 1920x1200 res, which is my monitor's native res and it runs fine.

Strong Bad runs perfect at high res and with max graphics, but obviously the Homestar Runner universe is much more graphically simple.

Wallace and Gromit crashes frequently whenever I have it at that res, and also when I have it set at quality level above 5. I guess the graphics in that game are more intensive, as they are made to look more like realistic claymation.

Monkey Island has some great graphic effects I noticed things like depth of field (e.g. things in the background being blurry on camera while things closer were clear) plus the character animations/face expression/wind tossled hair were great too. But I had to drop the resolution to 1280x800 for good speed, lag free gameplay. I could still have it on quality 9 setting though, so that was cool. At 1920x1200 the mouse cursor movement was too sluggish to enjoy, along with the UI graphics slowing down, so I never attempted to play the game at that res.

I guess it all depends on how much graphics rendering the game needs to do and your hardware. I'd like to think if I got one of the newer GeForce GTX295 graphics cards I could max out all settings for every game and still have high FPS...
  • edited July 2009
    rhaith wrote: »
    Run less crappy hardware

His hardware meets the stated requirements for the game. Why should he have to upgrade? Unless the requirements listed are false marketing (which I doubt), there's a problem.
  • edited July 2009
    His hardware meets the stated requirements for the game. Why should he have to upgrade? Unless the requirements listed are false marketing (which I doubt), there's a problem.

He may be mistaken about meeting the system requirements, though.

For instance, some people think because they have a video card and DirectX 8.1 that they actually have a DirectX 8.1 compliant card. This isn't the case. A DX 8.1 card means one that natively supports all of DX 8.1's features. In other words, a GeForce FX or newer, or a Radeon 9000 or newer. Something from after 2003 or so.

I'd bet money that the guy with this issue is off on this as I've seen with several other people with similar complaints on this board.
  • David EDavid E Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Moving this to game support.

People with helpful things to say, post helpfully! People who aren't planning on posting constructively when someone seeks help are free (and encouraged) to ignore such threads.
  • edited July 2009
    I just checked the System Requirements for before Strong Bad and after Wallace and Gromit. Before Strong Bad (Including Sam and Max) are this:

System Requirements:
    • Windows XP / Vista
    • 1.5GHz processor
    • 512MB RAM
    • 64MB 3D accelerated video card
    • DirectX 9.0c

While after Wallace and Gromit (Including Monkey Island) are this:

System Requirements:
    Operating system: Windows XP / Vista (Vista64 unsupported)
    Processor: 2.0 GHz or better (3 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent recommended)
    Memory: 512MB (1GB recommended)
    Video: 64MB DirectX 8.1-compliant video card (128MB recommended)
    Sound: DirectX 8.1 sound device
    DirectX®: Version 9.0c or better

Which means running Sam and Max doesn't mean you will run Monkey Island. Running Wallace and Gromit probably will mean that Monkey Island will run (Because they have the same specs) but, since I have the same problem as you, lets check if you have the minimum specs, for starters:

Go to start menu and hit run. Write "dxdiag" and Accept.

In the first tab (system) search for Processor, Memory and DirectX Ver. and compare it with the specs. Then, go to Display, and check the Memory of the Video Card.

If everything is exactly like the specs, try to update the Graphic Card Driver. If nothing works, I'm out of ideas =P

By the way, in the forum they give me a pretty good hint about how minimize the impact of not have the whole specs -> link. You can try that too

About the sound, I don't know, I'm going to check out now about it. Probably that driver its!
  • edited July 2009
    I had a similar problem. The computer on which I installed the game had integrated graphics, but those integrated graphics had access to 256MB of VRAM (granted, from shared system memory) and was DirectX 9-compliant, so I would certainly have expected it to also be DirectX 8-compliant.

The game did run, but I had to bump the graphics quality all the way down to 1. I guess in that it did run, it's true that my system was "supported", but it wasn't what I'd hoped for.

My board also had a 16-lane PCIe slot; it's actually a decently-specced computer. I just didn't pay much attention to graphics, as I built it to be a file server.

I ended up buying a GeForce 9400GT video card. Now I've got the graphics detail turned all the way up to level 9 and it works fine.

I do think it would behoove Telltale to publish "minimum requirements" that are more realistic. That would reduce confusion and the support burden, not to mention the number of refunds they're issuing. I have to admit I was surprised at how heavy the graphics requirements for the game turned out to be.

But enough of this, I want to play some more! *scoots over to the computer running TMI*
  • edited July 2009
    yes yes yes yes yes finally got it working.....

never noticed the left right arrow on menu to adjust settings :mad::mad::mad:
  • edited November 2009
    I had a similar problem. The computer on which I installed the game had integrated graphics, but those integrated graphics had access to 256MB of VRAM (granted, from shared system memory) and was DirectX 9-compliant, so I would certainly have expected it to also be DirectX 8-compliant.

The game did run, but I had to bump the graphics quality all the way down to 1. I guess in that it did run, it's true that my system was "supported", but it wasn't what I'd hoped for.

My board also had a 16-lane PCIe slot; it's actually a decently-specced computer. I just didn't pay much attention to graphics, as I built it to be a file server.

I ended up buying a GeForce 9400GT video card. Now I've got the graphics detail turned all the way up to level 9 and it works fine.

I do think it would behoove Telltale to publish "minimum requirements" that are more realistic. That would reduce confusion and the support burden, not to mention the number of refunds they're issuing. I have to admit I was surprised at how heavy the graphics requirements for the game turned out to be.

But enough of this, I want to play some more! *scoots over to the computer running TMI*

I've got the same card, and I still have to turn the quality down. Whats wrong?
This discussion has been closed.