Game Idea.... thoughts comments

edited November 2006 in General Chat
PITCH:
Seven days before his death, Edgar Allan Poe makes contact with an elemental/demon. A deal is made that if Poe offers up his body for those seven days, the demon will unite Poe with his wife Virginia in the afterlife. Upon possession, Poe blacks out awakening in a hellish nightmare world where Poe’s epic characters are now very much real. You must guide Poe through the nightmarish landscape across the hill, through the town, into the forbidden forest, up to the abandoned castle, to conquer over the false god to regain possession of your soul. Your main weapon would be a scythe and you would gain other skills as you meet characters and conquer over more and more of your mind.
Originally going to be a sequential project. But I thought it would love to see it realized as a video game. But I have no experience in video game design. I wanted to know if there was anywhere to offer game pitches to designers??? Is this the place???

Comments? Ideas? Would love to hear them…

Comments

• edited October 2006
    Sounds like something that would work well with American McGee (in the vein of Alice). I like the idea of using Poe's works to inspire a game, be it adventure, action, or a mix. I am not so sure about the storyline so far, but it has potential to develop into something interesting.
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2006
    cheady20 wrote: »
    I wanted to know if there was anywhere to offer game pitches to designers???

Read this site. It might just have everything you're looking for...
  • edited October 2006
    Squinky wrote: »

Or Alternatively TellTale could run a contest to see who can come up with the best game idea/script/dialogue/design. With the winner getting their game made into reality. hehe.
  • edited October 2006
    Like PCGamer's Design Lab Contest from many years back. Whatever happened with the winner, anyway?
  • edited November 2006
    Derwin wrote: »
    Like PCGamer's Design Lab Contest from many years back. Whatever happened with the winner, anyway?

They locked him up in the lab, conducting experiments. :eek:

--Erwin
    edited November 2006
    Jokieman wrote: »
    Or Alternatively TellTale could run a contest to see who can come up with the best game idea/script/dialogue/design. With the winner getting their game made into reality. hehe.

I take it you didn't even read the link I provided?
  • edited November 2006
    The chances of someone making your game is slim to nothing. Sorry. Maybe you could get some friends together and make a mod? Something like the HL2 engine could be good. Only thing is that for you to make any decent game, it'll take a long time to even figure out how everything works. But, if you're willing to put some time and effort into it you could make a really nice job. And if you make a decent job of it and it becomes popular, some developers like Valve have a record of buying really popular mods and employing their team...

Although I have to point out these mods have to be really, REALLY good. And you'll have to work on other projects before you get good enough to even begin making your game. But it seems to me to be the only real way of doing it.

As for your idea, Edgar Allen Poe... Hmm... something about the whole premise of Edgar fighting demons for his soul seems kind of off. No offense meant. and American McGee sucks. There is a hand full of people who deserve to have their names plastered on the front of game boxes and he is not one of them. I mean, come on... "How about Alice in wonderland, right? Only everything's all sort of twisty and gothy". Oh yeah. Fantastic. And Bad Day LA? "Be good sheeple". See what he's done there? <sarcasm> Oh man, zing! Now thats political satire. </sarcasm>
  • edited November 2006
    Though Alice was a fictional character in a fictional setting, Edgar Allen Poe was a real person. Taking creative license with fiction is usually not an issue, but doing so with real people is a little more questionable.

Usually historical world figures are exempt--Caesar, Washington, Napoleon etc. because of such a huge role they played in shaping the world, but I would be a little wary of basing it around an author/artist. Imagine after a famous game creator's death, someone created a game about the deceased game creator fighting all the monsters and villains he created so that he can rest in peace.
  • edited November 2006

I thank you profusely for posting that. It's so comforting to hear from someone inside the industry recommending finishing a four year Bachelor program (I'm in that right now, Professional Writing to be exact), and presenting a bunch of design documents. If that's what it takes, I'll be well-equipped to gain employment after I get out of school. Now I just need to get good. :p
    edited November 2006
    You're very welcome, Oilers99. And good luck to you on your journey in becoming a game designer. I'm on that road myself, albeit taking a computer science route.
  • edited November 2006
    You're very welcome, Oilers99. And good luck to you on your journey in becoming a game designer. I'm on that road myself, albeit taking a computer science route.

All you ever need to know about computers is that if you hit them, and they don't work, then it's time to buy a new one. :p
  • edited November 2006
    Oilers99 wrote: »
    All you ever need to know about computers is that if you hit them, and they don't work, then it's time to buy a new one. :p

That's precisely how I got my laptop. My last laptop ended up with a screwdriver jammed right through it. Through the top, screen, keyboard, electronic gubbins and out the other side. It was a good hit if I do say so myself.
    edited November 2006
    Actually, I'd say that knowing how computers work is a great asset to game design. If you're going to develop art using a certain medium, it's useful to keep the capabilities of said medium in mind in order to take full advantage of its potential, is it not?

And besides, knowing how to program is a great way to get one's foot in the door in the game industry. Worked for me. ;)
  • edited November 2006
    Hey thanks for that site. It was interesting to see the japan article. I'm currently there myself and the tokyo game show was great. After living here I have my doubts of staying here even if I love square/enix, capcom, etc etc etc

I took the computer science route but I'm teaching right now... I'm itching to get onto my real job though.

oh yeah and
    http://www.gamedev.net/
  • edited November 2006
    Actually, I'd say that knowing how computers work is a great asset to game design. If you're going to develop art using a certain medium, it's useful to keep the capabilities of said medium in mind in order to take full advantage of its potential, is it not?

And besides, knowing how to program is a great way to get one's foot in the door in the game industry. Worked for me. ;)

Oh, I don't doubt the importance or relevance of understanding computers to game design. I'm just trying to compensate for my clear lack of ability in that regard with vaguely pithy commments. :D

In all seriousness, I would like to gain a better understanding of computers, but I've got more critical things to work on right now. My writing can be much better, and I could use a better sense of design overall, so I gotta concentrate on those things. But if you feel more passionate about computers, and know that's where you should be focusing your efforts, great.
  • edited November 2006
    Hey guys, thank you for your input on this. For the time being I think I'm going to focus on telling the story as a graphic novel, and if someone decides to do something with it later on then good for them. I really like the idea and I'm going to keep with it. Thanks for the websites when I get a chance I will read into them.
  • edited November 2006
    Usually historical world figures are exempt--Caesar, Washington, Napoleon etc. because of such a huge role they played in shaping the world, but I would be a little wary of basing it around an author/artist. Imagine after a famous game creator's death, someone created a game about the deceased game creator fighting all the monsters and villains he created so that he can rest in peace.

Take a look at the upcoming Japanese RPG Eternal Sonata / Trusty Bell
    On October 17, 1949, Frederic Chopin, one of the most influential composers for the piano, succumbed to sickness and died at the young age of 39. Three hours prior to that, in the world according to this RPG, Chopin saw a dream of a fairy-tale land populated by people with incurable diseases but also magical powers.

... yeah ...
  • edited November 2006
    ensignyu wrote: »
    Take a look at the upcoming Japanese RPG Eternal Sonata / Trusty Bell

... yeah ...

I desperately want to play that game, but the odds of it making it stateside must be somewhere between nil and none.
  • edited November 2006
    http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6774/1430/1600/poepg1copy.jpg

A picture from the graphic novel, btw. that game looked actually really cool.
  • edited November 2006
    Id be suprised if telltale dont make a game of Edgar Allan Poe after all hes been good enough to write this poem for them. I think they will have to work on the final puzzle being finding a heart beating under the floorboards though.
  • edited November 2006
    Hey cheady20, I just thought about this. Have you seen the Adventure Game Studio program? It is a free program that lets you edit and create adventure games... and with a bit of tech know-how, potentially other types of games. I would at least encourage those wanting to create adventure games to check it out, as it is relatively simple to use and there are many tutorials on the net.
    http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/
Sign in to comment in this discussion.