am being told I don't have a walking dead license on my account :O

edited August 2012 in Game Support
So, late late on Wednesday night, I paid for the almost everything bundle.

I immediately downloaded and installed The Walking Dead, and played through the entire episode.

However, now, whenever I try to load up the game, I am being told that I do not have a license for this game attached to my account... I am sorry if something like this has been posted about elsewhere, I couldn't find anything relating to this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edited June 2012
    All I can recommend is maybe trying to uninstall then reinstall (maybe re-download).

I think the normal web site has links of how to get in touch with support.

Here is a good rule of thumb for video games.

Is this an issue of missing some key element to get through a puzzle? Ask on the forum.

Is this an issue of a more technical issue? Ask company support. Especially when it comes to licenses.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2012
    Is this still an issue right now, Makro, or can you again?

What you can try - and works for me - is to usually play disconnected from the internet; but I think you will have to perform a successful server communication first again for that to work.

There were some problems with the server connectivity, and it seems like this results in the "game not in account" message by default. I find this unnerving, as this game only has a one time online activation in theory, which worked just fabulous in previous games, those which didn't try to connect to the internet for purposes of statistics or content updates.

I think this is a glitch in the installer and I sure hope they will fix it. It's just a completely wild theory of course, but I think that this account check occurs when the game tries to download new content (i.e. episode 2). That would be entirely OK if actual content was available and they're just checking you're eligible for it before download, but it doesn't seem to play out this way. If the server's down, the game should just say "ah well, no updates today, let's play". That's why I still plead for a separate "check for updates/new statistics" button in the game menu and absolutely no attempts by the game to reach online when the player doesn't explicitly want it.
  • edited June 2012
    mine says that i am not connected to the internet..... which is werid since i downloaded it and everything and when i put in my user name and password it says sorry your user account or something is not connected to the internet.... werid
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2012
    mine says that i am not connected to the internet..... which is werid since i downloaded it and everything and when i put in my user name and password it says sorry your user account or something is not connected to the internet.... werid

Is this the message you are getting?

T295h.png

If so, do you have any security software that could be blocking the internet access for TWD?
  • edited June 2012
    I'm having the exact same issue after purchasing the game this afternoon and trying to play it. Says my account does not have a license for the game. I don't know if it's an internet connectivity issue, or a firewall issue from McAfee being overly protective. I tried giving it all the permissions under my firewall options, but it still hasn't worked - neither has an un-install, re-install.

Maybe I should email support? I run Win7, if that matters at all.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2012
    Cattivo wrote: »
    Says my account does not have a license for the game. I don't know if it's an internet connectivity issue, or a firewall issue from McAfee being overly protective.

For some reason that error message also appears if the game can't connect to one of the servers.

The best thing you can try is running the activation during a clean boot.

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. If running the game on Steam, re-check the "Steam Client Service"
    8. Click on OK
    9. Click Restart.
    10. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer
  • edited June 2012
    Didn't work. So frustrating. Sent an email to support, but because it's the weekend, I probably won't get a response for a while. Ugh...
  • edited June 2012
    I had the same problem untill I uninstalled the game, deleted the program folder and registry entries manually, rebooted and it works!
  • edited June 2012
    I'll try that when I get home tonight, as I totally forgot about the registry.
  • edited July 2012
    Is this still an issue right now, Makro, or can you again?

What you can try - and works for me - is to usually play disconnected from the internet; but I think you will have to perform a successful server communication first again for that to work.

Update to my issue... yeah this is still a problem. :( I have had contact with Customer Support since my first post and they claimed that it had somehow been removed from my list of active games on my account, to which they said they had placed it back on the list, ensuring me that I should be able to play again...

I have now contacted Customer Support another two times since. Still having the same issue.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled et al and am just getting over it. Will try DjNDB's idea later when I am not too annoyed to be bothered.

EDIT: I guess I should point out that I am not using the Steam-activated version, as I placed my order for the almost everything pack on the TTG website direct and downloaded it from here... mayhaps I should have gone the steam route... lol

EDIT: DjNB, your suggestion didn't work for me. *sigh* I am getting to the point where I think I will just ask for my damn money back, since out of a number of emails I have received only one reply from Telltale Games thus far and that was extremely unhelpful. My account page clearly reflects the walking dead as having an active license, but no amount of uninstall and reinstalls, nor anything else I have tried has worked. Boo-urns!
  • edited July 2012
    Can you send me a PM with your ticket number, please, Makroskizhar?
  • edited July 2012
    Hi guys,
    maybe you can help me.
    I buoght the game to play it on my Mac.
    As the payment was done, I got a .exe file.
    No way to open it on my mac.
    So, I opened that file on a Pc in my office.
    No way, it says I do not have any license.
    Same problem of Makroskizhar.
    I have deleted the game (folders included) and re-installed it 4 times.
    No way.
    Then I followed all the suggestions of DjNDB... no results...

First of all, I wanted to purchase the game for my Mac, and I didn't get the correct file.
    Second, it doesn't work on the PC...
    Please, someone can help me ??
    Thank you,
    Fabrizio
  • edited July 2012
    i actually have the same issue,

just bought the game few hours ago and when i launch the game and enter my login information, that say i've no licence and ask me to go their site to buy one..
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited July 2012
    fabrirome wrote: »
    I bought the game to play it on my Mac.
    As the payment was done, I got a .exe file.
    No way to open it on my mac.
    First of all, I wanted to purchase the game for my Mac, and I didn't get the correct file.
    If you bought the game from the Telltale Store, you should have two different download links (one for PC and one for Mac with the Apple logo) available from your "My Telltale" page.
  • edited July 2012
    Hi MacFly, I do not find the link to download the mac version.
    Is that possible that after downloading the PC version the link expires ?
    Thank you
  • edited July 2012
    Mike wrote: »
    Can you send me a PM with your ticket number, please, Makroskizhar?

Sure thing Mike, sending you a PM right now with both my issue ticket number and my order number from my original purchase.

• edited August 2012
    ive just had the same issue. for some reason, reconnecting the internet solved it. but now it tells me to visit the PLAYSTATION 3 store to download episode 2... on my pc. seriously, as much as i love the game i do hate that telltale dlc crap. it never works as supposed :(
  • Update to my Issue... almost 2 years later this is still happening... I made a post on the Telltale games Facebook page a few days ago and there has been no response.

So here is a cut and paste of that post.

So guys... I am a bit annoyed, to be perfectly truthful... I am still having issues with my saved games disappearing and being told that I don't have a license for The Walking Dead when I purchased the full Season pass back when Episode 1 of Season 1 was released.

As a result, I have not been able, to this day, to even play Episode 5 as there really is no point in even bothering if all my decisions are just going to disappear. I have had to play through each and every damn episode, each time a new one was released just to get all my decisions back, because the same thing has been happening since Episode 2.

Which means I have played through some episodes 4 times already, and I really don't have the patience to go through that all again if I have to start over once more because I decide I want to take a break from content I have already seen.

Is there EVER going to be a fix to this?

Or am I going to have to spend the money to purchase the game AGAIN, only for xbox now? Because I really don't want to have to pay for the game twice just to be able to complete it and have the choices I have made count.

• I should point out that, as frustrating as this issue is, and as annoyed as it is making me, the game in and of itself is absolutely brilliant and I am extremely happy with the play experience when I have actually been able to play it. This goes for the other games I have, that have been created by this company.

My frustration extends, not from an annoyance at Telltale Games, but at the fact that I STILL have yet to even be able to begin Season 1, Episode 5 with my decisions intact, and now Season 2 has started.

I really would like to be able to begin on the 2nd Season, but it's not worth me paying for, if I can't even complete Season 1.

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff
    edited May 2014
    I apologize for the inconvenience, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply to this email with the download link copied and pasted into this reply. You can find the Sticky here:

EDIT: My apologies, links do not seem to be working at the moment. If you can, please go to our Support Forum at the top of the page, then click on The Walking Dead: Season One. Then click on The Walking Dead PC/Mac Support on the right, and then click on the Sticky Thread called 'TWD: Support tool for information gathering'

After receiving the information from your support tool, we will be able to assist you further.

I should point out that, as frustrating as this issue is, and as annoyed as it is making me, the game in and of itself is absolutely brillia

• Ok, thank you very much for getting back to me. I am downloading the support tool right now and will run it a bit later today when I have a chance. I will get back to you ASAP with the results. :)

I apologize for the inconvenience, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply t

• edited May 2014
    Ok, done and done, this should be the download link for the support data file.

Thanks again!

www.sendspace.com/file/sc8xyn

I apologize for the inconvenience, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply t

edited May 2014
    My apologies for the delayed response. After looking over your support tool, your prefs.prop file, and save files don't seem to be large enough to be a full playthrough through Episode 4. Can you please clarify if you ever skipped episodes, or moved or altered any save files in the past?

Ok, done and done, this should be the download link for the support data file. Thanks again! www.sendspace.com/file/sc8xyn

• edited May 2014
    This is exactly my issue. I have never changed any files, moved any files or altered anything. But every single time a new episode came out and I installed it, it would... I can only assume, wipe my saved files. I have, in fact, played through Episodes 1 - 4, and each time one came out, I have had to start over from Episode 1 so as to not skip anything, and to not loose my choices.

Upon this issue having happened AGAIN when I installed Episode 5, I have not even bothered... which I can only assume is why it currently doesn't look like I have played a full playthrough.

I am also STILL having the "You don't appear to have a valid key" message I mentioned in my original post back in 2012 (although that issue had been fixed for a while)

Thanks again for looking into this Mike, I really do appreciate it... I really am eager to get onto Season 2! :D

My apologies for the delayed response. After looking over your support tool, your prefs.prop file, and save files don't seem to be large eno

After looking over your support tool information again, there doesn't seem to be any file structure issues, or uneeded files installed. Unfortunately what I would recommend is uninstalling the game, and clearing your computer of all The Walking Dead files from your computer. After uninstalling the game, please also make sure to delete any files inside your /Documents/Telltale Games/The Walking Dead/ folder, along with the folder itself.

Then after that, reinstall a fresh version of the game, and make sure to disable any anti-virus or internet firewall programs you may have open and running, the first time you start the game. This will ensure you receive all of the necessary patches and updates necessary to run the game successfully. I hope this suggestion helps you in playing the game.

This is exactly my issue. I have never changed any files, moved any files or altered anything. But every single time a new episode came

• MrLeeMrLee Banned
    edited May 2014
    He TelltaleMike I know I should have made my own discussion but I can't find the discussion make button on the screen so... I played EP 3 Season 2 TWD game with Clementine and when I start EP 3 they show things from EP 2 and I see things I didn't choice like at the end of EP 2 I stayed when Carver did come in and pointed a gun at Alvin and they say I defended Alvin at that moment... But I wasn't there I was with Kenny because I didn't stay there... I hope this is clear and you can read this I'm not English!

After looking over your support tool information again, there doesn't seem to be any file structure issues, or uneeded files installed. Unfo

My apologies. If you are seeing a choice that you didn't make, I recommend rewinding to the previous chapter/checkpoint before that choice was made, and then replay through the end of the episode. Then make sure to wait until the credits are finished before starting Episode 3, to make sure your choices are saved, and your choice should then be correct.
This discussion has been closed.