Discworld license

edited November 2006 in General Chat
I know this has been mentioned before, but does anyone know who owns the license to make games based on the discworld novels?

As "Perfect Entertainment" went under, and there has not been any hints of a new title since.

Like other people on this forums (from the quotes in other threads), I would love it if Telltale could gets their hands on the license.

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Like other people on this forums (from the quotes in other threads), I would love it if Telltale could gets their hands on the license.

I heartily agree! :D
  • edited November 2006
    Yes! Get the license! I'm sure Terry Pratchett wouldn't give you a hard time about it, since he allowed these guys to make a film.
  • edited November 2006
    Haggis wrote: »
    Yes! Get the license! I'm sure Terry Pratchett wouldn't give you a hard time about it, since he allowed these guys to make a film.

He has also sold the license to the "Wee Free Men" novels to Sony Pictures. Supposedly going to get Sam Raimi to direct!
  • edited November 2006
    He has also sold the license to the "Wee Free Men" novels to Sony Pictures. Supposedly going to get Sam Raimi to direct!

Sam Rami rocks!
    (Better be a Bruce Campbell cameo too!)
  • edited November 2006
    Sam Rami rocks!
    (Better be a Bruce Campbell cameo too!)

Script written by the woman that did Corpse Bride.
  • edited November 2006

THAT WOULD BE SO FREAKIN' AWESOME.

See, I was so excited I went into capslock-of-doom mode.
  • edited November 2006
    Yeah, it'd really be REALLY awesome...

I'd SOOoooo buy it. :D
  • edited November 2006
    So.

When's the next Bone coming out?

There's a lot of licenses Telltale COULD buy. I'd personally like to see the continuation of the license they DID buy.
  • edited November 2006
    Discworld would be great - but perhaps Telltale has just enough to do finishing Sam & Max - Episodes or continuing other lincenses. BUT I would love to play again a discworld-adventure. I really miss Rincewind badly.
    Also.. does someone already or better still own that license ?
  • edited November 2006
    Discworld by Telltale could be wonderful but... Don't you all think it would be so good if they started making something NEW? These guys have lots of talent and genius, so I'd be glad to see something brand new, once they finish what they're doing (Bone and S&M).
    I admit it, I'm LONGING for games like Dott, Discworld and other licensed sequels.
    But perhaps a brand new game (or game series) would be even better.
    Just take a look at stuff like A Vampyre Story by AME games (ok, it's not finished yet, but it seems pretty awesome), or Psychonauts, one of the few non-properly-graphic-adventure-games that I loved...
    I'm sure Telltale could do stuff as good as these said games, if not even better.
  • edited November 2006
    Does anyone else think that Discworld 1 & 2 were kind of... not very Discworldy? Sure, they had all the right names and locations but the games felt kind of excessively silly and the characters were *ahem* out of character. Discworld Noir I found to be very good.
  • edited November 2006
    Discworld by Telltale could be wonderful but... Don't you all think it would be so good if they started making something NEW? These guys have lots of talent and genius, so I'd be glad to see something brand new, once they finish what they're doing (Bone and S&M).
    I admit it, I'm LONGING for games like Dott, Discworld and other licensed sequels.
    But perhaps a brand new game (or game series) would be even better.
    Just take a look at stuff like A Vampyre Story by AME games (ok, it's not finished yet, but it seems pretty awesome), or Psychonauts, one of the few non-properly-graphic-adventure-games that I loved...
    I'm sure Telltale could do stuff as good than these said games, if not even better.

I totally agree. ;)
  • edited November 2006
    Does anyone else think that Discworld 1 & 2 were kind of... not very Discworldy? Sure, they had all the right names and locations but the games felt kind of excessively silly and the characters were *ahem* out of character. Discworld Noir I found to be very good.

I think they work better when you are controlling a new character like in Discworld Noir. There are less problems with performing various actions. For example, it never really made sense for Rincewind to be actively trying to be heroic!
  • edited November 2006
    I just came in here to say its been a while since a Discworld game came out and this is obviously the place for a twisted sense of humour these days so when are telltale going to do one? obviously someone already had the same idea though.

So fingers crossed...
  • edited November 2006
    I have never been able to play any of the discworld games. That makes me sad
  • edited November 2006
    Discworld 1 did run with DosBox on my machine, but it always crashed at a certain point in the game.

--Erwin
  • MelMel
    edited November 2006
    I have Discworld 1 on CD (I'm not sure if it's the talkie). My old laptop has Windows ME and I was able to run it on there without any emulator although I didn't have any sound. I didn't get far into it (I hope to someday) so I don't know if there'll be any crashes.
  • edited November 2006
    It's an incredibly tough game. Some of the puzzles are insane! :)

--Erwin
  • edited November 2006
    In Discworld 1 apparently there's a bug near the end which basically makes the game unfinishable. There's a patch out there somewhere. in fact I made a thread on how to install the game on WinXP with the patch and everything and very poor instructions! Clicky!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.