The Wolf Among Us Episode 5 Ending - Did y'all just forget this part?

edited October 2017 in The Wolf Among Us

Everyone seems to think that Nerissa = Faith because of similar dialogue and mannerisms. I thought so too until Bigby was shown the photos in the factory. BOTH Nerissa and Faith were pictured in two photos. Wouldn't that mean that some else would have to be glamoured as one of them for the theory to stand true? As a result, I feel like Nerissa is simply a coincidence. If she were Faith this whole time... the whole story kinda shifts and make me see it from a new perspective. Alt text

Comments

• faith and Nerissa were not the same person at first

after faith left you the night she got beat up something happened

Nerissa got killed and faith took her identity and Glamoured Nerissa head to look like hers

so by the time bigby and snow discoverer the head the switch had already taken place

• It's a photo from before the murders most likely.

• But wouldn't have Georgie known if had killed Nerissa or Faith? He seemed pretty sure that he killed Faith. What about Vivian? She said they were all connected via the ribbons. I feel like she'd be able to detect the imposter this way since she was able to free the rest with her suicide.

TommyW posted: »

faith and Nerissa were not the same person at first after faith left you the night she got beat up something happened Nerissa got ki

• So, wait, Georgie killed Nerissa while she was glamoured as Faith?

1. (But wouldn't have Georgie known if had killed Nerissa or Faith? He seemed pretty sure that he killed Faith).

He was sure and that's how Faith wanted him to feel lol

2.(feel like she'd be able to detect the imposter this way since she was able to free the rest with her suicide.)

Fake Nerissa was staring directly in her face at the funeral she didn't detect anything plus we don't know how powerful was the black market glamor she was using

• edited July 2014

yes and faith cleverly slips away just like she did in the fairy tail lol

That1Guy posted: »

So, wait, Georgie killed Nerissa while she was glamoured as Faith?

• One possibility is that Nerissa is actually Nerissa. However, she was glamoured as Faith in episode 1.

* (But wouldn't have Georgie known if had killed Nerissa or Faith? He seemed pretty sure that he killed Faith). He was sure and that's h

• KunnyKunny Banned

" Your Ribbon..."

"Do you like it?"

Faith and Nerissa's lines/hand gesture are the same, she is obviusly trying to say it to Bigby.

"I feel like we've met before" - "You are trying to place me."

• I don't know, maybe Nerissa was the one who died and faith is just glamoured as Nerissa? Lol, this is too much for my brain to handle. :P

• edited July 2014

You guys have made some interesting and convincing points but I still do not think that Nerissa is faith. Hear me out :) . When Nerissa is talking to Bigby in the final scene, she says that she divulged some information to Georgie about the picture Faith took of Crane. To my understanding this was done in private. She doesn't suggest that the conservation between herself and Georgie was shared with anyone else. As a result, Faith could not have known about the exchange. The pictures in the OP must have been as a result of what happened after Nerissa left; the Crooked Man/Georgie was getting suspicious so one of them decided to watch the girls and strike in order to avoid issues with their contacts. It doesn't seem likely that the Faith or Nerissa could have known. As a reuslt, one of them died. In this chain of events, when could have Faith glamoured herself to look like Nerissa? Sorry if it's obvious. I honestly do not see where Faith could fit herself here.

• First off, it was HEAVILY hinted Nerissa is Faith at the end of the episode. Otherwise there wouldn't have been so much emphasis put on the similarities in how they spoke.

Second, it's unsure if it's Faith or Nerissa that died but they both existed. Just it seems we only ever actually got to meet one.

• That was my thought as well. By the beginning of Episode 1, Faith was already dead. Knowing that she had to point Bigby in the direction of Georgie, Nerissa glamored herself as Faith to make Faith's occupation crystal clear to Bigby.

Rob_K posted: »

One possibility is that Nerissa is actually Nerissa. However, she was glamoured as Faith in episode 1.

• It doesn't make sense that Faith is still alive. Georgie thought that he killed Faith and Nerissa was in the room at the time. That would mean that Faith and Nerissa were glamored as each other. That's way too convoluted and stupid. I don't think Bigby ever met Faith. She was dead before Episode 1 even started. When she died, Nerissa glamored herself as Faith and met Bigby to make it crystal clear what Faith's occupation was and to make Bigby care about her death.

• This theory actually makes sense. It really doesn't make sense for Faith to be glamoured as Nerissa without a motive.

mosfet posted: »

That was my thought as well. By the beginning of Episode 1, Faith was already dead. Knowing that she had to point Bigby in the direction of Georgie, Nerissa glamored herself as Faith to make Faith's occupation crystal clear to Bigby.

• I think Faith was already dead before episode 1 , Nerissa pretended to be Faith to point Bigby in the right direction

• Oh, so Bigby never actually met Faith? As in the Faith he had met was Nerissa all along? That's what makes the most sense imo.

• I loved this episode right up until the cut-to-black. If it was meant to be a closed story, then there are still way too many questions, and if it's supposed to be a lead-in to a second season, then it's a cheap tactic to get people to buy in. As it stands, it seems like you only actually ever met Nerissa, and the scene with Faith was part of a glamoured Nerissa leading Bigby in the right direction. I'd make this assumption since Nerissa gets more screen time, and so it wouldn't make sense if it was actually Faith (who only got a few scenes) all along. It's far too vague, though, and having such an abrupt ending is particularly unsatisfying. I was hoping for another scene with Snow White, who despite having a ton of involvement with every other episode, was suddenly relegated to being a bit player. Having it cut out right after making a choice was also pretty scummy.

At this point, I hope Telltale just makes it clear whether or not they're going to have any additional seasons or DLCs or something.

• So she created the whole scene at the apartment knowing that Toad would call for Bigby if something is going on upstairs. Thats actually awesome.
    Maybe Georgie even told Nerissa to cover Faiths shift after he killed her, and then she got the idea.

This Theory of Nerissa being Faith and EP01 and Faith already dead seems really likely.

That was my thought as well. By the beginning of Episode 1, Faith was already dead. Knowing that she had to point Bigby in the direction of Georgie, Nerissa glamored herself as Faith to make Faith's occupation crystal clear to Bigby.

• wow well my theroy is wrong then

faith and Nerissa were not the same person at first after faith left you the night she got beat up something happened Nerissa got ki

• I didn't mind Snow's position at the ending since it leads to how she got her position in the comics, so that was more of a setting build up. I do wish we got to atleast give her TJ's gift.

I WISH it was really that faith is already dead/Narissa glamored herself in episode 1.
    But i remember Bigby recalling the legend "Donkey skin would hide her REAL beauty" so i think its heavily implied that faith is Narissa the entire time.

• Faith has to be glamoured as Nerissa. There is no other reason the mirror wouldn't be able to find Faith. It showed her father when he was dead.

• Much as I like the theory that Faith was dead before Episode 1 began (and the Faith we met was glamoured Nerissa), there's a problem with it: Lilly left a thank-you note to FAITH thanking her for covering for her shift with Woody. That means one of three things: (1) Lilly didn't know about the glamour OR that Faith had been murdered, (2) Lilly intentionally addressed the note to Faith instead of Nerissa to maintain the illusion, or (3) It really was Faith who agreed to cover the shift. 1 seems very unlikely. Lilly was clearly close with both girls, and would probably have been in on the scheme. At the very, very least, she would have known about the murder or at least known someone was missing. 2 seems unlikely as well, given that Georgie clearly thought he'd killed Faith. If the murder happened before the shift-swap, and George had seen the note, he would have questions that Lilly wouldn't have wanted to raise. So I don't see Lilly as being out-of-the-loop or as stupid enough to leave that note if she knew what was going on. That leaves (1): It really was Faith who agreed to take the shift.

I guess it's still possible for the murder to have happened before Bigby met "Faith", but it would have had to have happened in the very narrow window of time between Lilly leaving that note and the actual appointment with Woody.

I think what the game's writers were trying to say is that the Nerissa we see in the final scene is, in fact, Faith.

Here's one possibility, which I think falls in line with the most common "It's Faith, not Nerissa" assumptions: After Faith met Bigby, she went back to the Pudding N' Pie. Nerissa (the real Nerissa) had told Georgie about the photo and he was gone, talking to the Crooked Man. Now comes the unexplained part: Somehow, for some reason, Faith and Nerissa switched appearances, presumably through glamours. Georgie came back and killed NERISSA, thinking she was Faith, and let the real Faith live, thinking she was Nerissa. Lilly was killed around this same time, either shortly before or shortly after. Faith, still glamoured as Nerissa, left the heads on the stairs, one at a time. Nerissa's head remained glamoured because the glamour-tube was never opened (or even found, for that matter--probably Faith still has it). Faith then masqueraded as Nerissa for the rest of the season. Wanting Bigby to know the entire truth, she told him at the end what Nerissa had done, although she continued the pretense that she was, herself, Nerissa.

The missing link here has to do with the cross-glamour. WHY did Faith and Nerissa switch appearances? Did Faith know about Nerissa's treachery and act to protect herself, throwing her traitor friend under the bus in the process? Did the girls get bored and decide to play a silly game with glamours? Did Vivian hate Nerissa and care about Faith, and so masterminded the whole process? We aren't told and that's the weak point in this theory.

I have another theory that is simpler, but I should probably just post it as it's own thread, so I'll go and do that now. If that other theory doesn't hold up, then I'd say I believe this one I just reiterated over the "It's Nerissa" theory involving an early murder.

• I do understand that but why would Faith want to take Nerissa's identity? And second we have seen Georgie interact with Nerissa a lot. If he saw her wouldn't he have been suspicious since he just killed her?

• The mirror couldnt locate Faith in episode 1 maybe because she wore her coat? But then left it at Toads. dont know what im getting at here but its interesting

• Wouldn't it be awesome if telltale makes a DLC where you play as Faith/Nerissa and you see the story play out through her eyes watching your decisions play out, like if you decide to give her money at the beginning or not.

• edited July 2014

I think the most plausible explanation of all is that Nerissa saw Georgie kill Faith. Georgie knew about the shift change, so told Nerissa to take it in Faith's place. Then, wanting to expose it all in spite of the ribbon, used a hair off Faith's head, wound a drunk Woody up in order to get Bigby down to sort it out. She used this opportunity to plant Faith, the work and an oppressive boss into Bigby's mind. Since then, she's been a money-grabbing whore (literally) to Bigby and pointed him in the right direction.

Edit: this idea was put in my head by Rob K above and has been expanded upon in another thread. Sorry.

• edited July 2014

Maybe Bigby realized that Nerissa was actually Faith in disguise the whole time?

• so they swapped? so faith is still alive??

• I could see DLC set BEFORE the murder of Faith... I mean Nerissa. No, I mean Faith. Nerissa. Faith! Nerissa! GAH!

Wouldn't it be awesome if telltale makes a DLC where you play as Faith/Nerissa and you see the story play out through her eyes watching your decisions play out, like if you decide to give her money at the beginning or not.

• I was expecting to give the gift to snow as well.. but she was too busy with Bluebeard ._________.
    I really hope we get a season 2

• Here's my one big problem with the 'Nerissa pretended to be Faith in the begining of Episode 1' theory- why not admit it to Bigby now? She admitted everything else, including lying about hearing about the hit personally from the Crooked Man, and that Nerissa told Georgie about Faith taking the photograph. Why not say, 'And I pretended to be Faith that one time we met?'

I want to go on record and say I'm LOVING this discussion, and that we don't know enough to be sure yet (unless there's no Season Two...oh man, please let there be a Season Two). As far as I'm concerned, this is the only good kind of 'cliff hanger'- where the main storyline is wrapped up, but an event from the past that seemed innocent at the time instead sets up a whole NEW story. Loved this game.

• It goes both ways. If Faith was glamored as Nerissa, why wouldn't SHE tell Bigby? And also, whenever Lawrence attended the funeral - if he lives - wouldn't you think you'd get some kind of reaction from - ahem - "Faith", as some people think? I think in the end it is the real Nerissa, but everybody has their theories, I guess.

• Am I the only one considering a Vivian theory? I'm not going too much into depth research on it yet (just beat the game, very tired) but Vivian was the so called mastermind behind the ribbon system. If she had apparently put them on other people, maybe she could also control her own. Notice that "Nerissa" refuses to take hers off, and one of the other girls outside Snow's office still has hers on too.

Could the spell still be active? Could Vivian have posed as faith then had Nerissa glamoured as her and forced her to commit suicide? It's a long shot, but I think this would explain why "Nerissa" didn't tell Bigby she was glamoured.

• If it's supposed to be a lead-in, it's a damn good one. I've read the books and have to say, they raised the bar with this game. No idea how they will decide to work in future episodes given the comic content that already exists, but I really hope they work something out.

• edited July 2014

I don't think so. There is one thing that pretty much confirms that it was Faith and not Nerissa in the end. When Bigby started to put it together and got flashbacks of Faiths and Nerissas dialogues there is also dialogue told by Bufkin saying: "would hide her beauty so she could escape his kingdom", which refers to Faiths fable story. If it wasn't Faith, why would that line be there?

It doesn't make sense that Faith is still alive. Georgie thought that he killed Faith and Nerissa was in the room at the time. That would me

• It wasn't Nerissa all along.

Oh, so Bigby never actually met Faith? As in the Faith he had met was Nerissa all along? That's what makes the most sense imo.

• I think it couldn't show her body because the spell was still active on her--"my lips are sealed." Even the mirror said it.

Skiba7671 posted: »

Faith has to be glamoured as Nerissa. There is no other reason the mirror wouldn't be able to find Faith. It showed her father when he was dead.

• I just want some clarity.
    When Bigby tried to find Faith via the Magic Mirror.
    Why couldn't they find her?
    Is it because the mirror doesn't show dead people or doesn't show glamoued people?
    ...or is a different reason entirely?

• I think it was done to appeal to the noir style presented throughout the series. The game's always had that kind of Maltese Falcon or Adventures of Philip Marlowe feel to it, and very few of those kinds of stories had clear conclusions; it's something that I've always respected about the genre, even when it's frustrated me - the lack of closure lends to the idea that there's a still a world beyond this one, with it's problems and mysteries waiting to be solved.
    This extends the final choice, and the question surrounding Faith/Nerissa...firstly, yes, I agree that Nerissa was probably glamoured as Faith in episode 1. But I can understand the reason why the writers presented this and ended where and how they did, the same way I understand why we never see the top fall down in Inception, or the contents of the briefcase in Pulp Fiction, or even why The Sopranos ends in mid-sentence (although that last one does bother me). We're supposed to question, and draw our own conclusions, and talk about it, the way we are now, because this isn't a fairy-tale world. The answers aren't just cut-and-dry, and there will always be loose ends. And yeah, it's frustrating, but I can't help but love it all the same.

• Faith died before Episode 1, and Nerissa was actually Faith in Episode 1, being slapped around by Woody.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.