Psp!

edited January 2007 in General Chat
So, I've just gotten me a PSP (Hurray for Christmas!) for which I've bought a 2gb memory stick (trademe.co.nz is AWESOME. $100NZ instead of $400NZ) for and the fantastic Me & My Katamari. Consequently, I've spent most of my time for the last few days wondering about and bumping into things, and generally making a nuisance of myself.

Anyway, I was looking over the site here (in case maybe somebody accidentally released Salmon Macks: Ep2 early) and I suddenly realised, TTG should totally release their games on the PSP!

The graphics would work fine as the engine powering Telltale's games (I reckon) could easily be used by the PSP without any problems, and with the (comparatively) large screen size they would still look damn good.

The point and click system used in Telltale's games could be easily replicated using the little thumb nub thingy and the face buttons. Plus, so far most of the games released by Telltale have been quite small in terms of file size. You could put a whole bunch of games on a single UMD when they were scaled down (It's a big screen for a handheld but tiny compared to anything else. Even leaving the games at an 800 by 600 pixel size graphic quality would be using up an unnecessary amount of space)!

I personally would love to play Bone or Sam and Max on the bus to school (1 hour long ride. Damn boring) or wherever, and what with the short episodic nature of Telltale's games, they would be perfect for the handheld format, as the general idea is to be able to make games which can be played for short periods of time as well as long.

Comments

• edited January 2007
    No, No, No! DS Lite baby :D
  • edited January 2007
    Yes go go DS touch screen!
    Actually I hope to get a PSP when I head back to Canada. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another price drop.
  • edited January 2007
    If Telltale go handheld, I don't see why they would go either Nintendo or Sony exclusive.
  • edited January 2007
    an adventure game for the ds lite..with the stylus and the ds lite kind of audience would make more sense though
  • edited January 2007
    Be as that may (why DS lite? Got a problem with the first generation DS? Like my beloved one?), the games that Telltale have actually made already would work perfectly on the PSP. As much as I like my DS, I can't see myself playing Sam and Max Ep 1 and enjoying it as much. The point being that you could make a PORT of the games and they would actually look and play really good on PSP, whereas on the DS they would have to be changed considerably if you wanted to actually enjoy them as much. For one thing, the graphics capabilities aren't quite so powerful as the PSP. Plus, the touch screen doesn't necessarily mean that the adventure games are any better. It's all about the game, not the input.

And what do you mean "ds lite kind of audience"? The PSP is the proud home of Me and My Katamari and Loco Roco, amongst others (PSP owners are fond of quirky, innovative and non-mainstream games as well). Both handhelds cater to all audiences. And any true gamer would try and have both anyway. Fanboys suck.
  • edited January 2007
    look at the highest selling ds games.. they are pretty different and a wide variety.. i think those ppl would enjoy an adventure game more than the sony fanboys :p .. I agree you wouldnt port a sam and max game to ds..you 'd have to make an original game for it..
  • edited January 2007
    I am quite happy with the games that have been coming out for both systems but I think an adventure game would be more fun on the ds. The graphics are better on the psp but I'm not really fussy when it comes to graphics.
  • edited January 2007
    Still failing to see why everyone's so "either/or" rather than both?

Rabid fanboyism is about the only explaination. Face it - when it comes to marketing "People who game on handhelds" is one big target demographic, not two totally distinct PSP or DS demographics.
  • edited January 2007
    the DS is winning the war though..and a lot games are exclusive to the ds or psp.. they can make one for psp but do one for the ds first :D
  • edited January 2007
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Still failing to see why everyone's so "either/or" rather than both?

Rabid fanboyism is about the only explaination. Face it - when it comes to marketing "People who game on handhelds" is one big target demographic, not two totally distinct PSP or DS demographics.

I know, it irritates me, too. I'm a happy PSP owner, and as of today, I'm a happy owner of a DS Lite (Onyx) as well.:)

Now I'm going to commence collecting a back catalogue of GBA games to play on it, namely Final Fantasy and Castlevania. I'll be pretty busy while I'm out to sea!
  • edited January 2007
    I really like the ds but there are some games on the system which do much better on the psp.
  • edited January 2007
    The PSP doesn't have any graphic adventure games that I know of. The DS is home to the vastly underrated Trace Memory (probably the greatest five hour game of all-time), and soon to be Hotel Dusk as well. There's some precedent for the genre there.

However, if we're talking about console systems, the Wii provides a great interface for graphic adventure games, and the VC could offer an excellent method of distribution for episodic gaming. Much like with Trace Memory for the DS, the more esoteric features of the Wii would allow for some interesting puzzles as well. I'd love the Wii to become a graphic adventure revival system of sorts.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.