Comic readers: Is Bigby sparing people out of character?

edited October 2014 in The Wolf Among Us

I saw a few people discussing whether or not Bigby showing mercy was in character.

Would comic Bigby give Faith money, or show mercy to Grendel, or let Tweedle Dum ,or even The Crooked Man live?

Comments

• edited October 2014

Nope, in Werewolves at the Heartland he kills an old friend he met during WW2 just because he was a crappy leader, without giving it a second thought he just ripped his head off and then walked away.

• edited October 2014

I've read when Bill Willingham played TWAU, he played the most violent path possible at every decision point, so I'd say Bigby sparing people would be out of character.

Just see below:

> HC: How have any discussions with Bill about writing this series gone? Any guidance he offered that you can share? And, just curious, have you discussed “The Wolf Among Us” with Mark “Bucky” Buckingham, “Fables’ ” continuity cop?
    MS: Bill has been nothing but supportive throughout the endeavor. We talked some about the choices that he made while he was playing the game — it seems like if any choices would be “canonical” it would be those made by the guy who created the thing it’s based on. But then you kind of also got the sense that Bill was mainly taking the most violent possible path at every decision point out of some atavistic urge to kill and destroy, and so verisimilitude was secondary to that. Which is understandable; it’s hard not to want to attack everyone when you’re being Bigby Wolf. It’s almost like Bigby’s struggle to keep his animal nature locked inside is a metaphor for some aspect of the human condition. Dave and I probably should have thought about that. Hm. <

Link:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/comics/fables-the-wolf-among-us-matthew-sturges-dave-justus-on-the-case/

• Bill's a ruthless mofo, I love it.

FYI, the link doesn't work.

CoolGuyJ posted: »

I've read when Bill Willingham played TWAU, he played the most violent path possible at every decision point, so I'd say Bigby sparing peopl

• It'd probably depend on the situation, and their relationship with Bigby.

• I fixed the link. Should be working now.

Well from the few glimpses of the TWAU comic, it seems Bigby kicks his way on the door (With the first Faith and Woodsman scene in Toad's apartment), so it seems the comic itself is taking at least some ruthless/violent paths. And it says in the interview that the comic is canon (though the game is canon also), and I'd guess the choices/paths taken in the comic is canon too.

Bill's a ruthless mofo, I love it. FYI, the link doesn't work.

• Having read the comics up to date; I would say that Bigby is capable of showing mercy (Also in Werewolves of the Heartlands; Bigby is by himself so there is no one to tell him otherwise, not to mention that the Werewolves are all evil) IMO comic Bigby would give Faith money and probably would show mercy to Grendel after kicking the shit out of him; Tweedle Dum is an interesting one because he may or may not kill him in front of Snow; he would've most likely let Georgie suffer and would definitely have thrown the Crooked Man down the well as that is what Fabletown law decrees.

• edited October 2014

Agreed, for the most part. The Bigby from the comics would definitely have killed Tweedle Dum, though. If he was willing to kill Bluebeard simply to keep him from murdering a nosy mundy then assaulting Bigby AND Snow with shotguns twice in the same day in a show of open rebellion against the Fabletown government would warrant the death sentence several times over whether Snow feels squeamish about it afterwards or not.

The rationale is important, as he has very strong principles. Excess aggression and stress that needs to be worked out is one thing he understands and might be lenient about. Incompetence and irresponsibility less so, and disloyalty not at all. Besides that, he doesn't really go out of his way to be either an ass or a nice guy unless it serves a specific purpose, in which case he naturally resorts to intimidation more quickly than persuasiveness. He also treats his family and friends a lot differently than he does people he has no particular reason to care about.

HazzatheMan posted: »

Having read the comics up to date; I would say that Bigby is capable of showing mercy (Also in Werewolves of the Heartlands; Bigby is by him

• Sure, but, what about considering the character to grow up? He's always at the same age, in glamour that is, and will always be... however, we can consider that Bigby wasn't that mature to deal with criminals, was too sensible, weak, compared to his atitude throughthout the comic series... Right?

Having read the comics up to date; I would say that Bigby is capable of showing mercy (Also in Werewolves of the Heartlands; Bigby is by him

• I think it depends on the situation. Bigby has a soft side in the comics too.

• His soft side in the comics tends to be when it comes to Snow or the cubs really.

nooshamel posted: »

I think it depends on the situation. Bigby has a soft side in the comics too.

• In later issues he sparks up 'freindships' with the other Fables like Beast (and sort of Prince Charming during the war planning) he kisses Rose on the cheek and says that he has her back when she recovers from her big depression and he likes Flycatcher (then again who doesn't)...

His soft side in the comics tends to be when it comes to Snow or the cubs really.

• Nah, he's been policing Fabletown since the 1650s and the game is set barely twenty years prior to the comics. Proportionately, that's not a lot of room for sudden inexplicable character development.

Sure, but, what about considering the character to grow up? He's always at the same age, in glamour that is, and will always be... however,

• edited July 2015

Ignore this.

Off_Ground posted: »

Nah, he's been policing Fabletown since the 1650s and the game is set barely twenty years prior to the comics. Proportionately, that's not a lot of room for sudden inexplicable character development.

• I stand corrected. Where did you read that?

Ignore this.

• Actually I stand corrected!

It was in the mid-1600's as New York was still called New Amsterdam at the time :P

Sorry for the confusion...

Off_Ground posted: »

I stand corrected. Where did you read that?

• Don't worry about it.

Actually I stand corrected! It was in the mid-1600's as New York was still called New Amsterdam at the time :P Sorry for the confusion...

• Not at all. It might have been for the Big Bad Wolf but Bigby works hard to maintain his humanity. He does what he has to do, but he's not a monster, not anymore. Being around Snow has helped a lot with that, and having kids helped even more.

• edited July 2015

He gradually becomes more civilized through out the comics. But he does also snap, causing trouble.

• edited July 2015

I suspect Bigby dont have total control of human form by 1600~2000. In WW2 he cant control he beard and hair growing up, for example.

Also, the character evolve a lot. In wild west, he brokes Jack's face because he kill some mundies. In TWAU he dont kill Crooked Man (if you chose), after he kill 2 fables and make he think Snow is dead.

• edited October 2016

Reply of season 2 bigby looks the clues of faith or nerissa but the crooked man did kill them he not at episode 2 we meet nerissa . In episode 4 because nerissa he scared he can take of the ribbons we have dirt one the crooked man people who have been on ? Faith and nerissa both for gone.
    Tweedle dum he in the pictures of faith nerissa and lily . And the crooked man he go to all people he not doing anything that it

• Well personality wise he is really quiet and brooding, only talks when some forces him to talk. Also he is seen talking when he is coming up with plans or giving his opinion on certain problems in FableTown. However he tends to protect his friends by becoming extremely aggressive. Such as one where the Fables are at war against wooden soldiers. Amazing Comic series I recommend them to anyone who is interested in The Wolf Among Us!

• Compared to TWAU he's also a lot more 'friendly' I guess, with the other Fables. Plus no one seems to unappreciate him anymore!

Well personality wise he is really quiet and brooding, only talks when some forces him to talk. Also he is seen talking when he is coming up

• Yes, he did, but if he didn't then that town would have fallen apart. Also, snow wasnt there and he wasnt dealing with werewolves (who need more extreme measures to make a point)

Sign in to comment in this discussion.