...alright, this is the best Telltale Game Ever.

Or at least, the best one I've played. Admittedly, I've only done both seasons of The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us, so I can't really factor in any of Telltale's preceding projects, but their critical acclaim certainly was brought about by those two series.

And for good reason. TWD and TWAU were both dramatic and emotional adventure games, tugging at heartstrings and pulling us into dark, turgid worlds filled with danger. But Tales From the Borderlands both crafts a world filled with arguably just as much violence and mythology as the other two...but manages to make it fun. But I also still feel the stakes. Fiona said it best: This is a world where the more powerful people (Vault Hunters, Bossanova, Handsome Jack, Vasquez...) fight one another for control while the lower-class hopes they can murder and steal their way to power. It's a subtle but constant theme throughout the episode, but the best part is that IT NEVER STOPS THE FUN.

This is a rare balance. There hasn't been lightning in a bottle like this since other projects like "Firefly", I daresay. I'd be eager to see if anyone else feels this way. Post away!

Comments

Sign in to comment in this discussion.