So, that whole business with Snow White...

Was she supposed to stay dead after episode 1? Or was her fate revised to accommodate Bill Willingham's continuity? Is that why episode 2 was delayed for so long?

It just seems a little weird to kill off a major character to rattle the player, and then do a 180 in the following episode. I haven't been a regular visitor to the TWAU forum, so I'm sorry if this question has already been answered before.

Comments

• edited January 2015

It has been confirmed that the Season was rewritten after Episode 1, because Ep. 1 followed a completely different plot.

The plot that Ep. 1 followed was that there would be an actual serial killer killing Fables and Bigby would be framed for it; the Mundy police would get involved and Brannigan would suspect Bigby and chase him around the city. The Mundy police would also discover the existence of Fabletown, and Snow would remain dead for the duration of the Season until the last Episode.

Willingham and the rest of the Fables writing team hated the plot and had TellTale rewrite it. In the comics it's revealed by some characters that the last time a Mundy discovered the existence of the Fables was back in the 1940's; also Snow remaining dead would be too non-canon for the overall plot.

What's more was the ginger haired guy (named Cryer) in Ep. 1 was The Boy That Cried Wolf and he would end up being Bigby's Deputy...

Basically just way too much stuff that would go against the canon of the comics :P

Any questions? :)

• I read somewhere that there was supposed to be a side plot involving Cinderella and her stepsisters being murdered too.

HazzatheMan posted: »

It has been confirmed that the Season was rewritten after Episode 1, because Ep. 1 followed a completely different plot. The plot that Ep

• That was a before before plot. That got rewritten to the Mundy police/serial killer one which got rewritten to the CM plot.

I read somewhere that there was supposed to be a side plot involving Cinderella and her stepsisters being murdered too.

• edited January 2015

So there's 3 plots of The Wolf Among Us in existence? I wish there was a way to email the other writers and find out the original stories...

That was a before before plot. That got rewritten to the Mundy police/serial killer one which got rewritten to the CM plot.

• Yeah originally Cinderella's stepsisters would be murdered and she and Bigby would be looking for their killer. That plot never got past the storyboards however cuz once again it kinda messed up the main canon :P

I read somewhere that there was supposed to be a side plot involving Cinderella and her stepsisters being murdered too.

• Any questions? :)

Yeah. Why does Brannigan look like the female version of Cryer? Come to think of it, why is Cryer seen several times driving a taxi?

Too bad Willingham axed the original story. A "fugitive-on-the-run" plot sounds a lot more exciting than Bigby basically poking and prodding around for five episodes. (All the more reason why I hope Telltale looks into the idea of an alternate reality for season 2. Telltale's staff seems to work best when they're not being boxed in by another writer's canon.)

It has been confirmed that the Season was rewritten after Episode 1, because Ep. 1 followed a completely different plot. The plot that Ep

• Brannigan... I don't think she looks like a female version of Cryer :P

I guess they needed a character model for the taxi driver and since we have seen Cryer once before his job could be as a taxi driver... Though Cryer's model is used twice in one scene, in Ep.1 I think, when you reach the Trip Trap there are two Cryer character models in the filthy alley...

Any questions? Yeah. Why does Brannigan look like the female version of Cryer? Come to think of it, why is Cryer seen several times

• Why does Brannigan look like the female version of Cryer? Come to think of it, why is Cryer seen several times driving a taxi?

That's easy. Telltale is an indie company and tries to make the best use of their assets without trying to spend a lot time or money creating new assets. Which means that they were re-using character models for moments in the game that held no significant merit to the overall plot. Altering Cryer's model to look like a female office is cheaper than creating a new female character model and Cryer was just a neat touch to the game to establish that some Fable is driving other Fables around without creating other character models to taxi.

Any questions? Yeah. Why does Brannigan look like the female version of Cryer? Come to think of it, why is Cryer seen several times

• Which means that they were re-using character models for moments in the game that held no significant merit to the overall plot.

Kinda what I said above :P

DoubleJump posted: »

Why does Brannigan look like the female version of Cryer? Come to think of it, why is Cryer seen several times driving a taxi? That'

• Good job on starting Fables, Tross :D

Do u have single issues or Volumes?

I can guarantee that it will take u a while to read through the main series and even longer to read all the spin-offs :P

Tross88 posted: »

Hmmmm....interesting. I like the story Telltale did end up writing though, and maybe having it work with the canon of the comics is a good

• Hmmmm....interesting. I like the story Telltale did end up writing though, and maybe having it work with the canon of the comics is a good thing. I should be able to start reading the first issue sometime later today, but the premise of the series is interesting, and I can understand being the writer behind a series like that and wanting things to sync up to avoid contradicting the canon. At the end of the day, TWAU is a licensed property, and there are certain rules that come with that, but TTG are also pros at working with licenses by now. Maybe there are ways to incorporate some of the ideas that were scrapped into a new season without breaking the canon. I guess time will tell on that one.

• Yeah, all of the original plots have been told to the public one way or another except for an actual confirmation from Telltale. Would love for them to put the Cindy plot in a DLC, it'd be really exciting.

So there's 3 plots of The Wolf Among Us in existence? I wish there was a way to email the other writers and find out the original stories...

• I ordered the first deluxe edition off of Amazon and it just arrived a couple hours ago. Alas, I have things to do till this evening, but I should be able to fit an issue in before bed. Complex canons with lots of issues and spinoffs are the number one turn-off I have with comics, and I haven't committed to anything yet, but I was willing to look past the fact that this is a comic book series with all that entails, and give it a shot. I figured it was a better plan than sitting by and waiting for season 2 of TWAU, which has yet to even be confirmed, and season 1 sold me on the premise and characters so I'm sure I will enjoy it.

Good job on starting Fables, Tross Do u have single issues or Volumes? I can guarantee that it will take u a while to read through the main series and even longer to read all the spin-offs :P

• Just to let u know that ALL of the spin-offs (except The Unwritten/Fables crossover) are canon with the main story and add something to it, big or small...

I ordered the first deluxe edition off of Amazon and it just arrived a couple hours ago. Alas, I have things to do till this evening, but I

• Well, The Unwritten/Fables crossover is not canon, but it does give the reader some insight of what may happen if the 'worst of the worst' situation comes to the fables (like Age of Apocalypse for the X-men series), when they are hunted down and dwindling in numbers.

Sure, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like it despite its faults (I personally like it far more than Jack of Fables series, even though that is considered canon), and for anyone who has finished reading the main series (minimum requirement, since I don't think reading other spin-offs are needed to understand the crossover), I wouldn't hold them back from reading it if they're interested.

Just to let u know that ALL of the spin-offs (except The Unwritten/Fables crossover) are canon with the main story and add something to it, big or small...

• I don't know, I kind of liked that this new direction focused more on a "Rich vs the Poor" storyline and who really protects and keeps Fabletown stable, is it the Crooked Man or is it Snow White and Sheriff Bigby? A "fugitive-on-the-run" story, I suppose, sounds more exciting, but probably not as interesting as what we ended up getting.

• edited January 2015

Brannigan... I don't think she looks like a female version of Cryer :P

Uh...

Alt text

Alt text

At first I thought they could be siblings, but if Cryer's a fable, that can't be possible. Right?

Brannigan... I don't think she looks like a female version of Cryer :P I guess they needed a character model for the taxi driver and sinc

• I'll cross that bridge when I get there, which will most likely be a good while yet, but I generally dislike crossovers as they are rarely canon, rarely rest on their own merits, and unless I'm familiar with all IPs involved, even if it's just two, I dislike having to put up with unfamiliar characters and am rarely sold on checking out any IP involved other than the one I currently follow. Maybe there are exceptions, but I haven't come across them. For all I know this crossover could be better than the ones I've seen, but I'll have to wait and see if I have any interest in it. I have heard that Jack of Fables has the worst reception out of the spinoffs, but that's another bridge to cross at a later time.

I have taken the plunge and read the first issue, after reading the introduction by Bill Willingham. It sounds like he's really invested in this series, or was as of '09, which is a good sign. I'm not that familiar with comics, but if a writer isn't invested in his work it usually shows, regardless of the medium. This first issue is engaging, but it does reek a little of being a front for character introductions, complete with stilted dialogue that exists for the sole purpose of dropping character names, and setting up concepts and terms. At least some effort is put in to veil this fact, but it still shows.

The premise is obviously the same, but it does look like some of the characters, particularly Bigby and Beauty, are a little older, suggesting the passage of time. Snow has longer hair, which is an overused trope to signify time passing, but that's on Telltale's end since the comics pre-date TWAU. Other characters look about the same. I peeked a little at the start of issue 2, and Colin looks quite a bit different. Much of the cast in this issue is in TWAU, but Boy Blue and Prince Charming aren't, though they appear to be just as intriguing as characters. The thing that stood out most to me is that Snow calls Bigby Mister Wolf, which suggests they aren't as close as they are at the end of TWAU. Is that an oversight on Telltale's part, or did something happen between then and this first issue? All the more reason why I hope they make a season 2. Overall my verdict is so far so good.

• I honestly don't see a resemblance at all. Just because they both have freckles?

Brannigan... I don't think she looks like a female version of Cryer :P Uh... At first I thought they could be siblings, but if Cryer's a fable, that can't be possible. Right?

• I don't have time to read the spinoffs, so hopefully I won't miss out :P.

Just to let u know that ALL of the spin-offs (except The Unwritten/Fables crossover) are canon with the main story and add something to it, big or small...

• You know for a game that was supposedly rewritten multiple times, it sure was awesome and my number 2 choice for 2014 GOTY

• Just because they both have freckles?

This is going to turn into 'Bloody Mary and Rachel are related' again isn't it? :P

I honestly don't see a resemblance at all. Just because they both have freckles?

• edited January 2015

You know: Negotiations with Vertigo started in 2011 with TWD and it was meant be released as Fables in early 2013; this game took a long time to make and it's quite the masterpiece :D

What's your number 1 GOTY choice James???

You know for a game that was supposedly rewritten multiple times, it sure was awesome and my number 2 choice for 2014 GOTY

• I honestly don't see a resemblance at all. Just because they both have freckles?

Alt text

I honestly don't see a resemblance at all. Just because they both have freckles?

• His name is Red Herrington

Brannigan... I don't think she looks like a female version of Cryer :P I guess they needed a character model for the taxi driver and sinc

• The thing is though, Snow only called Bigby as "Bigby" when either they are alone together, or generally with someone close to her (with Fables such as Colin, Holly, etc).

When with other Fables (i.e. in front of general citizens of Fabletown), Snow calls Bigby "Mister Wolf." (which how she calls him at the end when Bigby tries to talk to her at her office, but she already has an appointment with Bluebeard).

After becoming Deputy Mayor, perhaps Snow has started calling Bigby as Mister Wolf in order to keep some distance from them (so that their relationship does not hinder her job), and with so many years after TWAU calling him as Mister Wolf, I think she may have just gotten used to calling him that (i.e. always being formal) more than just Bigby

And yup, Charming and Boy Blue are pretty big characters.

Actually, they are two of several main characters - unlike typical comic series, Fables have a huge ensemble cast, though Bigby and Snow are generally considered to be the poster boy and poster girl for the series - but I guess you don't need that explained since you've already played TWAU :)

I'll cross that bridge when I get there, which will most likely be a good while yet, but I generally dislike crossovers as they are rarely c

• I happen to have glasses :P. So I see perfectly.

• Dragon Age: Inquisition. I would say it's close though, it's a hard choice.

You know: Negotiations with Vertigo started in 2011 with TWD and it was meant be released as Fables in early 2013; this game took a long time to make and it's quite the masterpiece What's your number 1 GOTY choice James???

• edited January 2015

2014 GOTY for me would have to be TWAU...

It would have been the Remastered version of TLOU, but that game technically came out in 2013 so... yeah :P

Dragon Age: Inquisition. I would say it's close though, it's a hard choice.

• I have to agree with that, TWAU was my first choice for GOTY 2014.

2014 GOTY for me would have to be TWAU... It would have been the Remastered version of TLOU, but that game technically came out in 2013 so... yeah :P

• It would be nice if telltale got the story straight before selling it I dont like the weird plot holes and stuff. that business with the ginger man is annoying. The game has a mystery at the end and it makes it difficult to work out when there are ghosts of unthought out storylines littering the plot! Also that rethink makes me think that alot of clues from the first ep are completly irrelevant! considering there's only five episodes I feel short changed. Telltale need to maybe make games with more forethought if they want to do a solid mystery. I get the idea they don't even understand the ending themselves they just want people to talk about it and promote s2 for free and they're just waiting for forumers to piece the ending together for them. deep breath -rant over.

• I have to be honest, even though I read the comics, I would have absolutely loved to play the game with the plot line they had originally intended.

• At least the bot picked an interesting thread to bump this time. I guess one advantage of Telltale writing all episodes at once is that they won't have to scramble and rewrite after Bill Willingham doesn't like episode 1. Or maybe they're already scrambling and rewriting and we just don't know about it. but then that can include episode 1 itself and make the whole store more cohesive.

• I just finished the game and really enjoyed the story. I'm glad they rewrote it instead of going with the original serial killer idea, which is such an overdone plot. It does mean that a few aspects from Episode 1 don't fit cohesively, that's true. But I appreciate the bold decision to change course in order to tell a better story.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.