Rhys' Tattoos

I've just recently noticed that Rhys has tattoos on the left side of his neck and chest during the bandit interrogation. A lot of people have already speculated about the meaning behind his new clothes and yellow eye, but what do the tattoos mean? Will he gain tattoos in one of the upcoming episodes?

Comments

• He has them all through out ep 1

• Yeah, the clothes he wears in the flashback scene cover them more than the second outfit, but you can see the tattoo on his neck at multiple different points in the game (when the angle is right):

Alt text

Poogers555 posted: »

He has them all through out ep 1

• Ha, I just noticed. Guess I didn't pay too much attention to the specifics of his outfit!

Regardless, I still think this is tied to his backstory in some way. It's not like every corporate goon has mysterious symbols tattooed all over his body.

Yeah, the clothes he wears in the flashback scene cover them more than the second outfit, but you can see the tattoo on his neck at multiple different points in the game (when the angle is right):

• Yeah, I'm hoping there's a story there, somewhere.

Tattoos have pretty big significance in the Borderlands' universe, but that's specific to females, and even then only to a select few (Sirens).

And no, I don't think Rhys is a male Siren (that's absurd!)... But some other significance would be cool.

Bokor posted: »

Ha, I just noticed. Guess I didn't pay too much attention to the specifics of his outfit! Regardless, I still think this is tied to his backstory in some way. It's not like every corporate goon has mysterious symbols tattooed all over his body.

• I think it'd be a bit TOO far-fetched for Rhys to suddenly have magical powers! ;-)

So far, we know that when he was 10 he already had ambitions of being a businessman. And we also know that he didn't grow up on Pandora. Maybe this is a hint at Earth being kinda messed up as well, I dunno.

Yeah, I'm hoping there's a story there, somewhere. Tattoos have pretty big significance in the Borderlands' universe, but that's specific

• I've just recently noticed that Rhys has tattoos on the left side of his neck and chest during the bandit interrogation, but what do the tattoos mean?

Rhys: It was a PHASE!

That's my theory XD

• Rhys probably got them to emulate his hero. Then again, anyone that'd willingly have his right arm taken off for robotic one doesn't really need a reason to change something else about their body.

• I hope we find out if Rhys choose to have his arm removed, or if he was in an accident or something

Dapnee posted: »

Rhys probably got them to emulate his hero. Then again, anyone that'd willingly have his right arm taken off for robotic one doesn't really need a reason to change something else about their body.

• Yes, I realize have this tattoo.
    Regardless, I still think that this is somehow connected to his backstory. Each company goon tattoos all over his body are not as mysterious symbols.

• Yeah, I'm really curious about his arm.

Poogers555 posted: »

I hope we find out if Rhys choose to have his arm removed, or if he was in an accident or something

• I'm glad somebody else noticed, I was beginning to think I'd imagined them!
    Yeah, he doesn't really seem like the sort of person who would get a tattoo, so I was thinking like, maybe it's a Hyperion thing? But I looked closely at Vaughn and Yvette and neither of them have any visible tattoos... And then I thought it's probably because Jack had tattoos like that, but I looked at pictures of him as well and couldn't see any. I really hope we get some exposition about this, and as to how he came to have these cybernetics also.

• character sheet for Handsome Jack

Here's the official character sheet, Jack has the one on his right wrist. And who's to say he couldn't have more.

I'm glad somebody else noticed, I was beginning to think I'd imagined them! Yeah, he doesn't really seem like the sort of person who would

• Is it just me, or in the full-body front pic does it look like Jack has a tattoo on his neck (similar to Rhys'?). It's rounded and the same colour as his wrist one:

Alt text

Also, is he wearing a CL4P-TP pin? That's adorable... yet, inherently out of character!

Alt text

Here's the official character sheet, Jack has the one on his right wrist. And who's to say he couldn't have more.

• Rhys has it on his left side though, but it does look similar.

Is it just me, or in the full-body front pic does it look like Jack has a tattoo on his neck (similar to Rhys'?). It's rounded and the same

• I've honestly never noticed it before - it doesn't seem to have been carried over to any of his actual character models in-game - but if one tiny, virtually imperceptible line on a piece of concept art inspired Rhys' designs, then bravo Telltale, your attention to detail is nothing short of phenomenal:

Alt text

• If you look at this pic, there was an option to ask him in the original script it seems:

Alt text

Hopefully we'll learn about it

Rhys probably got them to emulate his hero. Then again, anyone that'd willingly have his right arm taken off for robotic one doesn't really need a reason to change something else about their body.

• I have a better screenshot of Rhys' tattoo.

Alt text

• dat face. {:O

KuroHeta posted: »

I have a better screenshot of Rhys' tattoo.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.