I don't really hate the antagonists...

I know people try and hate them just because they're antagonists but I don't August seems like a GTA protagonist. A gritty up and coming thug trying to make a life fpr himself with a soft spot (in his case Sasha) but has a temper. Vasquez is just hilarious, the character is really put together and overall I'd rather side with him than against him.

Comments

• Welcome to Pandora, Kiddo.

Alt text

Moral ambiguity is pretty much Borderlands' bread and butter, and because of that ambiguity it tends to skew the roles of its more 'traditional' antagonists, making them seem more likeable.

So you not hating August and Vasquez is just evidence of Telltale doing a super great job of capturing the vibe of the Borderlands' franchise!

• edited February 2015

Alt text

• I find likeable villains more interesting and fun than the usual evil guy. Instead of feeling that the villain is constantly hitting and hurting you, you have a villain who makes you laugh and one you can respect.

• Scooping someone's eyes out with a spoon in front of his families isn't morally ambiguous, Jack. Just, you know, for future reference.

Welcome to Pandora, Kiddo. Moral ambiguity is pretty much Borderlands' bread and butter, and because of that ambiguity it tends to sk

• You still love me, Pumpkin.

Scooping someone's eyes out with a spoon in front of his families isn't morally ambiguous, Jack. Just, you know, for future reference.

• Alt text

You still love me, Pumpkin.

• Joker is cooler character than Batman imo, so I don't know what your problem is.

• Are those spoons I spy, Kitten?

They'll certainly come in handy...

• I'd rather like the antagonists than hate them. I mean, I want to like seeing them in the episodes.

• Alt text

Are those spoons I spy, Kitten? They'll certainly come in handy...

• Except you seem to forget Vasquez is a cold blooded murder and an Asshole.

Agust too and the fact that you think he's like a GTA protagonist Doesn't help his case.

And it doesn't matter if you don't hate them, they are dying either way.

Oh and we are suppose to hate them because they areally complete monsters, not because they are antagonists.

• Joker is an abusive piece of shit and he’s overrated. How is he cooler?

Omid's cat posted: »

Joker is cooler character than Batman imo, so I don't know what your problem is.

• Except August and Vasquez aren't likable.

In fact Vasquez is a grade A sexist douchebucket.

I find likeable villains more interesting and fun than the usual evil guy. Instead of feeling that the villain is constantly hitting and hurting you, you have a villain who makes you laugh and one you can respect.

• I think Vasquez is definitely a good antagonist - that is he's really easy to hate, Patrick Warburton just does such a good asshole. And I found myself really enjoying hating him and being creeped out every time he talked about male genitalia. August for some reason I really liked, I don't think he's as hateful as Assquez at the moment, but I really see him becoming a really antagonising...antagonist in upcoming episodes.

• Welcome to the grey side. Almost everyone on Pandora kills, guns are produced like candy, there are lunatics on the moon, just the whole sha-bang. Killing others gets you a higher place in the Borderlands universe. Handsome Jack killed Tassiter, the previous president of Hyperion. Strangled him in fact. I like Jack, he's got spunk. I can understand he's a bad character, I can be angry at the things he's done (mainly Angel), and I can also still like him. Same with Vasquez and August, we just haven't gotten the full picture yet, we're only a fifth of the way through this crazy boat ride, we could just team up with them, you never know.

When I "hate" a character it is due to them having terrible qualities that aren't ever validated or stricken down. I don't hate a well written character, and I don't hate one simply because they're to fill a roll.

And above where you called Vasquez sexist, how? I don't remember him ever speaking about a female character at all, he's just full of male genitalia allusions from what I remember.

BullseyeRey posted: »

Except you seem to forget Vasquez is a cold blooded murder and an Asshole. Agust too and the fact that you think he's like a GTA protagon

• I don't find them likable in the sense that I think they are good people. It was never in question that they are bad. It is just their funny attitude that makes them likable, in the sense that you don't hate them.

It is like the Joker. People don't love him because he is good or misunderstood. They love him because he is crazy and funny.

Except August and Vasquez aren't likable. In fact Vasquez is a grade A sexist douchebucket.

• Now that you mention it, he sure does love to talk about men's privates. :D

Dapnee posted: »

Welcome to the grey side. Almost everyone on Pandora kills, guns are produced like candy, there are lunatics on the moon, just the whole sha

• Personality, I find villains that you like are better instead of those you're supposed to hate. Like the Joker, Venom, and all of those guys. They do a good job at making them badass. With Borderlands though, I don't think you're supposed to take it seriously most of the time.

• He has acid flower.

Alt text

Joker is an abusive piece of shit and he’s overrated. How is he cooler?

• That's Pandora for you.

Except you seem to forget Vasquez is a cold blooded murder and an Asshole. Agust too and the fact that you think he's like a GTA protagon

• Lol no, he's one of the best villians out there

Joker is an abusive piece of shit and he’s overrated. How is he cooler?

• Let's not jump to conclusions. For all we know that guy was a DMV employee.

Scooping someone's eyes out with a spoon in front of his families isn't morally ambiguous, Jack. Just, you know, for future reference.

• Even I still rooted for that traitorous old man Felix.

• Felix was just another Crane, and I felt disappointment each time with what they're characters chose to do. I was interested in each for being father figures and it just seems TT doesn't like that at all.

"I called you Fix It Felix and you did this to me man." ~ Me when Felix did the thing.

Herodriver posted: »

Even I still rooted for that traitorous old man Felix.

• Alt text

Felix was just another Crane, and I felt disappointment each time with what they're characters chose to do. I was interested in each for bei

• Alt text

Well after ep.1 for me, not Felix.

• edited February 2015

Scratch your own nuts

Now that you mention it, he sure does love to talk about men's privates.

• Makes me wonder how "Atlas Mugged" will turn out.

From what it looks like, August is sending Tector and the Hodunk Clan after the group. That, and it seems like he and Sasha were approaching one another in the middle of the desert...not exactly a happy reunion.

It should be important to note that these are not good people. Rhys and Vaughn can be forgiven to an extent, as they are merely using corporate espionage within an evil corporation, whereas Vasquez is not afraid to kill. Fiona and Sasha manipulate people for a living, and August is a thug. All are motivated by selfish reasons. What little redeeming qualities they have is mostly due to the players being "nice" to each other...which may be the point.

• Guessing you've only ever watched the films.

Omid's cat posted: »

Joker is cooler character than Batman imo, so I don't know what your problem is.

• Butl they'll have my dick in a sling

Scratch your own nuts

• Honestly, it's a comedy game, so you probably don't want to be feeling such intense bad feelings like hatred.

• How does he's the same as Crane? it's not like he has a fantasy of having sex with Fiona or Sasha,he even gave the exact warning or advice before he betrayed them which proves that he's still a fatherly figure.

Felix was just another Crane, and I felt disappointment each time with what they're characters chose to do. I was interested in each for bei

• It's more that I felt betrayed by the characters. I was expecting the old grandpa wisdom, and I got two characters that broke that trust by backstabbing/not being truthful through out the game.

Crane's was a bigger thing for me cause I was kind of getting to the point in seeing him as an ally and then the picture showed up. Felix it was more just "I have the money now scram" that bothered me. He had an even stronger bond with Sasha and Fiona that backstabbing them that way felt really out of place. Yes, he's a con-man, I get that, but 10 mil in cash as a breaking point imo wasn't that great of a turnface oppurtunity.

Herodriver posted: »

How does he's the same as Crane? it's not like he has a fantasy of having sex with Fiona or Sasha,he even gave the exact warning or advice before he betrayed them which proves that he's still a fatherly figure.

• Borderlands isn't really a franchise where you are supposed to hate the antagonists TBH

Sign in to comment in this discussion.