Is Rhys a Siren?!?

So I was going through the info for the new borderlands game, ‘tales from the Borderlands’

and I noticed something while looking at the character screenshots from the game…

Alt text

IS RHYS

Alt text

A FREAKING

Alt text

MALE SIREN?!

Alt text

BECAUSE THAT LOOKS LIKE A SIREN TATTOO PEAKING OUT OF HIS JACKET

Comments

• Male sirens don't exist

• No. He's...
    Alt text

• No he's clearly a centaur

Omid's cat posted: »

No. He's...

• Pfft. xD

Omid's cat posted: »

No. He's...

• Can't you just get regular tatoos that happen to be blue in Borderlands?

• Come on, where's fun in that.

hayd24 posted: »

Can't you just get regular tatoos that happen to be blue in Borderlands?

• I don't know if it's that necessarily, but I noticed them too and I have to say I am very intrigued by them.

• edited March 2015

Well, it IS possible... But a good way for TftB to make a stamp in the Borderlands timeline would be the discovery of a male siren. Though he might be powerless because of his missing arm which interests me.

DeityD posted: »

Come on, where's fun in that.

• Well its been confirmed throughout the series that only females can be sirens so a male one would kinda f*ck up lore.

Well, it IS possible... But a good way for TftB to make a stamp in the Borderlands timeline would be the discovery of a male siren. Though he might be powerless because of his missing arm which interests me.

• I think it has been implied but there could be a small chance. Or it is just a tatoo that Rhys got somewhere.

zeke10 posted: »

Well its been confirmed throughout the series that only females can be sirens so a male one would kinda f*ck up lore.

• Eh its been outright said plenty of times throughout the game and comics and honestly a male siren would be dumb because a siren by definition is a woman

I think it has been implied but there could be a small chance. Or it is just a tatoo that Rhys got somewhere.

• I thought those were just more cybernetic implants with skin stretched over/around it.

• edited March 2015

Rhys' character model has changed from when these pictures were first released. Has anyone checked the one being used in the game to see if those tattoos are even there?

• There is definitely one on his neck (blue and round shaped) in game. But im not sure about his chest though.

Rhys' character model has changed from when these pictures were first released. Has anyone checked the one being used in the game to see if those tattoos are even there?

• What if he is really a she..... or was a she at some point in the past

zeke10 posted: »

Eh its been outright said plenty of times throughout the game and comics and honestly a male siren would be dumb because a siren by definition is a woman

• That's too f-ing much for a series.

Mangoloo posted: »

What if he is really a she..... or was a she at some point in the past

• Those...don't look like Siren Tattoos. They're thin, curving and intricate.

This here looks like some giant blue sun or flower or something.

• Siren's are female.

• Rhys with a flower/sun tattoo on his chest is hilarious sounding.

LawmanZero posted: »

Those...don't look like Siren Tattoos. They're thin, curving and intricate. This here looks like some giant blue sun or flower or something.

• Brah, the series is chalk full of minorities, female leads, and lgbt characters. Who knows if Tales could finish out the T in that accornym. (Plus it's only speculation, you never know).

That's too f-ing much for a series.

• edited March 2015

I haven't finished BL2 yet and never played BL 1 so I've seen only Springs so far. I don't know if Nakayama counts. I know there's a bunch of them, but making a pc like that is a little different. I just thought, they never made Axton bi for a reason, so I can't see them making a lead character like that. At least for now or at least in the Tales. But who knows, I might be wrong.

Dapnee posted: »

Brah, the series is chalk full of minorities, female leads, and lgbt characters. Who knows if Tales could finish out the T in that accornym. (Plus it's only speculation, you never know).

• edited March 2015

Oh god, I will headcanon it till the end of the universe xD Cause ...

Alt text

Rhys with a flower/sun tattoo on his chest is hilarious sounding.

• edited March 2015

Nakayama is Jack-sexual, but I'd still consider him as homosexual. Axton, despite having a wife, and a girlfriend currently, has been "confirmed" as bi by Gearbox, though there isn't a concrete line in the game, only outside. Best to not presume anyone's sexuality in this series, which is a nice change.

I consider the tattoos being related to Rhys trying to emulate Handsome Jack, rather than the other idea, but it's a very valid consideration Rhys can be intersex or trans.

Don't worry about being wrong or not, we're having fun speculating.

I haven't finished BL2 yet and never played BL 1 so I've seen only Springs so far. I don't know if Nakayama counts. I know there's a bunch o

• "Jack-sexual", lol I like that. :D Well, he's def not straight al least. I wish we could've seen more of him btw, he was so goddamn funny.

Nakayama is Jack-sexual, but I'd still consider him as homosexual. Axton, despite having a wife, and a girlfriend currently, has been "confi

• Yep, the ones on his chest made it in-game too - you can only see them in the present-day scenes though, his shirt covers them in the flashbacks.

Arya_Stupid posted: »

There is definitely one on his neck (blue and round shaped) in game. But im not sure about his chest though.

• Just going to put this out there - what if Rhys is the 'body' that Nakayama talked about inserting the AI into in that mission in TPS? It would explain why he looks so similar to Jack, it could explain his cybernetics (if you're getting a new body why not upgrade it a little, right?) and possibly the tattoos if he was artificially created in a lab. It could also explain why Vasquez demoted him (other than just because he doesn't like him). What if Vasquez knew that Rhys was destined to become the next leader of Hyperion, (it would explain than whole 'destiny' speech and particularly the "you don't want to be that man" stuff) and once he heard that Henderson was going to promote him he seized his chance and threw him out of the airlock to stop this from happening (Rhys does say in the beginning that everyone is trying to get to the top, even more so now that Jack is dead) then took Henderson's place and demoted Rhys to the bottom of the pile to get him out of the way to ensure that he himself has a better chance of becoming the new CEO? I think it sounds a little insane myself, but it makes sense.

• edited March 2015

Doesn't seem so. He said during one of the dialogues that he was obsessed with well becoming someone important and that he "was making visit cards at 10 yeasr old" or something like that. Meaning, he had a childhood. And he's not really looks like Jack by default, he "kinda" looks like him + that haircut... which is not genetics. :)

Just going to put this out there - what if Rhys is the 'body' that Nakayama talked about inserting the AI into in that mission in TPS? It wo

• why must you hurt me in this way?
    :'(

Doesn't seem so. He said during one of the dialogues that he was obsessed with well becoming someone important and that he "was making visit

• edited March 2015

Sorry. ¯\ (^_^) /¯

I know, right. I hurt myself as well when I did second or third playthrough and heard that line (it's the one where Sasha asks about Hyperion, but I don't remember which one, maybe "I was always like this" or something). Alas.
    Upd. But look on the bright side, maybe he's story will be even more interesting in the end.

why must you hurt me in this way?

• Although it is a point, it is a well-known phenomena that the brain can fabricate completely false or unfounded memories in order to fill in any gaps. So that's a thing. But if it's not something like this I'll be kind of disappointed because I think it's definitely possible that both Rhys and Fiona have more to them than initially meets the eye, I'd love it if we got some back-story on them at some point in the future!

Sorry. ¯\ (^_^) /¯ I know, right. I hurt myself as well when I did second or third playthrough and heard that line (it's the one where S

• THESE are Siren Tattoos:

Alt text

Alt text

• CAS FOR THE WIN

Oh god, I will headcanon it till the end of the universe xD Cause ...

• Alt text

Cause SPN cast gifs can fit almost everywhere.

CAS FOR THE WIN

• Don't forget Angel! These girls look essentially like china dolls with tattoos and Rhys...well.... he's a dude with the most corporate look to him. Although we know only a bit of Rhys backstory, I think Sirens usually discover their power when they're a kid. I mean chances are unlikely.

THESE are Siren Tattoos:

• No, since it was established that all Sirens are women and there can only be 6 in the universe at any given time.

• Thanks oh Handsomest of Jacks!

Yep, the ones on his chest made it in-game too - you can only see them in the present-day scenes though, his shirt covers them in the flashbacks.

• Don't forget Commandant Steele, too!

Alt text

DoubleJump posted: »

Don't forget Angel! These girls look essentially like china dolls with tattoos and Rhys...well.... he's a dude with the most corporate look

• That would actually be sort of awesome.

Mangoloo posted: »

What if he is really a she..... or was a she at some point in the past

• Well there could be super-massive-plot-twist revealing that Rhys is originaly female XD. (just going through all possibilities) *runs away

BullseyeRey posted: »

No, since it was established that all Sirens are women and there can only be 6 in the universe at any given time.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.