I've never played Borderlands (the actual game), does that matter when it comes to just playingthis?

Does it actually matter if i buy and play the real game as opposed to just playing the 'Tales of the borderland'???

Comments

• You won't be getting the maximum entertainment, but not playing the other Borderlands games is not a requirement.

• The first Borderlands has practically no story. The second has story, but it's certainly not the central focus of the game and it's nothing you can't learn by checking YouTube for the highlights.

• edited March 2015

My sister didn't know jack shit about Borderlands and enjoyed it. It's definitely worth playing even for people foreign to Borderlands.

I totally didn't just skim through your comment...Heh...Heh...heh...Anyways there's no real reason to playthrough the first game, but you'll understand more of the references and guest character's in Tales if you play Borderlands 2.

• I have never played a single Borderlands game prior to TFTBL, and I thought it was one of Telltale's best episodes. It had great humor, interesting characters, and so far, the story is great. I think Telltale did a great job in that they made it easy for non-Borderlands fans to enjoy this game, they made it very easy to understand what this universe is about.

• Nope you don't have to but I'd recommend playing Borderlands 2 anyway, its an amazing game

• Play Borderlands 2. PLAY IT. Most of the stuff from TFTB is there in there, and it's a beautiful game. Pay attention to the tips in the menu. Pick Axton as a starter-he's well rounded and pretty solid. Try out the different manufacturer's weapons, and see which ones you like best. And do a lot of sidequests, OK?

• It'd probably be a little better if you played an hour or so of Borderlands 2, but otherwise it doesn't really matter.

• Not really. There is a brief exposition scene at the start of Episode 1 covering notable bits and pieces of the story from the franchise, but beyond that, the rest can be enjoyed irregardless of whether or not you play the other titles in the Borderlands series.

• I have not played any Borderlands game before but I enjoyed this story :) Would try the games someday to get maximum details on lore or probably just watch let's plays or read wikis hahaha

• Definitely not, but if you do want to wrap your head around the lore, this thread is a great summation of the first three games:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/72914/the-borderlands-lore-megathread-updated-with-new-title-pre-sequel-lore-and-more-spoilers-inside

(It's obviously chock full of spoilers, though!)

• This is all you need to know about the first 2 games and the Borderlands universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOqYITR7DmA

• Yes and No.

Yes because of the lore and stuff. You won't understand it as much.

No because it's still a funny experience without prior knowledge.

• Well, I haven't played any Borderlands game before Zero's Sum and I played it anyway. I understood it all and then played all the games (don't mistake played with finished) and yeah, looking at it right now, it has some inside jokes for the lore fandom.

But yeah, my point is I understood it without playing the games, so you're safe. :)

• I didn't know anything about Borderlands before I play TFTB, but I decided to play all the Borderlands games after noticing all the references I didn't get. Now I know who is Zero, Moxxi, Handsome Jack, what is a Skag, a Rakk, a Vault Key, a Loader Bot, I even recognized the psychos and bandits and also the sound effects and musics.

And I know Janey Springs, Scooter and Athena are gonna be in Atlas Mugged so I'm super excited to see them because I know who they are.

So, personally I'm really glad that I took the time to play those games (i didn't finish BL1 though, I just couldn't get into this one), I'm not confused anymore and I got really attached to this universe. That's really cool to get all the references, and to recognize things from the last Borderlands games.

I would say it's not necessary to play all the Borderlands games to play TFTB, but it's worth it.

• edited March 2015

Before playing BL I would say it doesn't matter. But after playing the pre-sequel and BL2 I can't say that anymore. It's kinda like playing GOT without seeing the tv series - you'll understand the concept of what's happening but you'll never get a full picture of the events and a bunch of things and references will be wasted.
    I'd say it's just better to play any of BL games first. At least one of them.

• I play GOT without ever seeing the TV Series.

I'm special.

DeityD posted: »

Before playing BL I would say it doesn't matter. But after playing the pre-sequel and BL2 I can't say that anymore. It's kinda like playing

• Same. But honestly I feel kinda lost when I play GOT. xD

Crips posted: »

I play GOT without ever seeing the TV Series. I'm special.

• Watch Let's Plays. That's the best way to experience the game if you don't have it.

Khaifer posted: »

I have not played any Borderlands game before but I enjoyed this story Would try the games someday to get maximum details on lore or probably just watch let's plays or read wikis hahaha

• It's not a "must do" but it'd be good, at least for me it was. You can just watch someone's Let's Play, you don't have to watch every single mission but a bit would be nice.

• So far, you seem to not need to play any other borderlans. But im pretty sure you might want to, because the later episodes will most likely have stuff going around the vault hunters, handsome jack, hyperion, and more borderlands stuff.

• Okay sounds good, I just need to stop by Gamestop first.

LawmanZero posted: »

Play Borderlands 2. PLAY IT. Most of the stuff from TFTB is there in there, and it's a beautiful game. Pay attention to the tips in the men

• I'd recommend the show anyway to both you and @Crips. Awesome show IMO and it makes the game experience a lot better.

Same. But honestly I feel kinda lost when I play GOT. xD

• bl1 has story, most of it is through text. and bl2 has more of alot of hidden stories thats not directly told (require alot of explorition and echo listening). just saying bl1 has no story is like playing through half life 1 and say it has no story

The first Borderlands has practically no story. The second has story, but it's certainly not the central focus of the game and it's nothing you can't learn by checking YouTube for the highlights.

• I haven't played the original Borderlands games and I loved the first episode of TFTB, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

• And don't forget IGN!

Okay sounds good, I just need to stop by Gamestop first.

• I had never played Borderlands before this, but i loved it. It's very funny, and interesting as well. I tried playing borderlands 2 i think, just to see if i could figure out anything while waiting for episode 2 of tales, and i just can't get into it. I hate first person shooters, that view gives me major migraines.

• I played like 4 hours of borderlands 2 and that's about it. I get the main idea, specially with the summary at the start. (And for anyone who's gonna say "play it!!!" I'll get around to it... some day in the far future maybe)

• I had not had a chance to play any of the BL games before TFTBL came out and I enjoyed it immensely. After playing the first episode, I immidiately played BL, BL2 and TPS. Despite being an RPG gamer and never having been interested in FPS games before, I absolutely LOVED the series.

I recently replayed TFTBL in anticipation for episode 2 and found that I enjoyed it far, far more having familiarized myself with the other games. That being said, you certainly don't have to play to enjoy TFTBL. You will miss out on some jokes and character cameos but it's still fun.

• I'd recommend it. In a way, TftB is my first Borderlands game, and while I still enjoyed it, I knew there was a lot I was missing. After finishing episode one, my sister finally convinced me to try Borderlands 2 with her. I reluctantly joined at first due to not being a major fan of FPS games outside of TF2, but now it has definitely been a worthwhile experience.

So yeah, I'd definitely say play Borderlands 2, then replay episode and enjoy recognizing a lot of the lore and nods to the Borderlands games themselves.

• edited March 2015

The same applied to me. But soon, BL2 replaced TF2 as my favourite FPS.

Also, I mained Pyro in TF2. How about you?

fayescarlet posted: »

I'd recommend it. In a way, TftB is my first Borderlands game, and while I still enjoyed it, I knew there was a lot I was missing. After fin

• Didn't play it and wasn't sure I would like TftB at first, bug God I love it. Love the humour and the action. Might be my favourite 1st episode from any ttg I've played so far.

• TF2 is still my fave lol, but BL2 is definitely a very close second. Any game with customization is an instant win.

I main Scout, though I'm not that good yet since I have crap aim and only 600 hours. Need more practice eheh. 8D; Demo and Medic are right behind.

The same applied to me. But soon, BL2 replaced TF2 as my favourite FPS. Also, I mained Pyro in TF2. How about you?

• You have crap aim? Get the Shortstop and kick ass.

TF2 is still my fave lol, but BL2 is definitely a very close second. Any game with customization is an instant win. I main Scout, though

• The thing is, I do use the Shortstop. 8D; It's my favorite Scout gun, I'm just not used to running and shooting at the same time.

You have crap aim? Get the Shortstop and kick ass.

• As a Pyro, I find myself using my shotgun more.

The thing is, I do use the Shortstop. 8D; It's my favorite Scout gun, I'm just not used to running and shooting at the same time.

• I have played the Borderlands games and I will tell you without playing them it wouldn't be as good. At moments when I see a person (i.e., Athena) I know I tend to get really excited. It just makes it a little bit more fun. :]

Sign in to comment in this discussion.