Uh...I don't think that guy is dead.

You know that general in the box who Fiona sporked the eye out of it and stabbed the other? Yeah I don't think he's dead [as in 'I don't think what Fiona did killed him' kind of dead] in fact, I'd would go as far as to say he might've have been conscious when they went scooping out his eyeball from his socket, and I say this because of this moment right here:

Alt text

This is Telltale we're talking here and they're no strangers to gore. Tales from the Borderlands has plenty of gore in it already, so this first person perspective of the eye might be a cool camera trick, but it only stops at the point the eye is near cut out and that reaaaally bothers me.

What I'm saying is, however painful, I'M PRETTY SURE YOU DON'T DIE FROM LOSING YOUR EYESBALLS!

Mr. General might be in suspended animation, but whatever it is keeping him asleep might eventually wear off in its own time with that box being open as there are no tubes or wires or anything connected to him. Sooo, at this point I'm 90% sure this guy isn't your typical throw away character for a funny eyeball joke, and may to come back later and won't be happy once he does...well, if he can find some Echo eyes first or whatever they call them o_o ya know, being blind currently.

What do you all think? Crazy theory or not so crazy? >.>

Comments

• I found it weird that they weren´t showing it directly. Couldn´t be because of gore when we stitched Clementine up, saw Kenny smash Carver´s face in, put Bigby´s broken arm in place or opened up our leg to put maggots in it in other games (all of which were rather graphic) so...I don´t know, that would actually explain the perspective.

• Well, the kidnapper does only have one eye hole on his/her mask...

OH GOD, IT'S THE STRANGER ALL OVER AGAIN!

• confirmed

Well, the kidnapper does only have one eye hole on his/her mask... OH GOD, IT'S THE STRANGER ALL OVER AGAIN!

• Instead of stealing his supplies we stole HIS EYES

It is true because it rhymes

Well, the kidnapper does only have one eye hole on his/her mask... OH GOD, IT'S THE STRANGER ALL OVER AGAIN!

• How could we have been so blind?

• HiroVoidHiroVoid Moderator

Its also possible the suspended animation made it, so that at the moment he was conscious, but still couldn't move.

• No. No, no no no no. I don't want to think about that. NO.

• Oh, god, as if that scene couldn't be any more gross. 8U; Hope to God that guy don't ever wake up.

• edited March 2015

I'm pretty sure not showing it directly made the whole thing funnier. "Oooh, you sliced the whole thing in half! All the juice is-" "WHY ARE YOU DESCRIBING IT TO ME". That joke works as well as it does because we didn't see it directly. The camera angle made it a funny moment rather than just a drama moment (like the other moments you mentioned).

ABigBadWolf posted: »

I found it weird that they weren´t showing it directly. Couldn´t be because of gore when we stitched Clementine up, saw Kenny smash Carver´s

• Isn't the eyeball still in Fiona's inventory (it's mentioned if Rhys scans her later in the episode)? If so,then I'm willing to bet it'll at least be relevant later on.

• I´ll be honest, I was itching to see it.

...Just curiosity, I swear.

Bralef posted: »

I'm pretty sure not showing it directly made the whole thing funnier. "Oooh, you sliced the whole thing in half! All the juice is-" "WHY ARE

• I was really expecting him to start screaming and flailing around after the horrid deed had been done.

• Alt text

papai46 posted: »

How could we have been so blind?

• Should have been Rhys doing the eye scooping instead of Fiona. I mean, imagine having Jack being Jack to you while you were scooping out the eyes. It's not like Jack is a stranger to eye scooping anyway. Missed opportunity right there.

• Didn't think of that till I saw your post. Would've been perfect. A freakin' spoon!

Rock114 posted: »

Should have been Rhys doing the eye scooping instead of Fiona. I mean, imagine having Jack being Jack to you while you were scooping out the eyes. It's not like Jack is a stranger to eye scooping anyway. Missed opportunity right there.

• edited March 2015

I actually liked it with Sasha teasing Fiona and grossing her out.

Remember Rhys was in crazy-land to everyone else during that time and looked like a nut.

Rhys: "AAHH!!" hits head

Fiona: breaks eye and juices splatter Why is this happening?"

Rock114 posted: »

Should have been Rhys doing the eye scooping instead of Fiona. I mean, imagine having Jack being Jack to you while you were scooping out the eyes. It's not like Jack is a stranger to eye scooping anyway. Missed opportunity right there.

• Alt text

Why do you need to remind us! It was creepy and twisted enough as it is... imagining he just wakes up without his freaking eyeballs...

• I don't know man. That first spork shot appeared to enter deep into his head lol.

• If you keep observing the eyeball, Sasha and Fiona remark that it feels like it follows you around the room.

My theory is that he was conscious the moment you open the mysterious box, but couldn't particularly react due to paralysis. Either way, it's likely he's still alive as shown by the video the player sees afterwards

Also, I began twitching while writing this comment. I'm not sure what that says about me as a person, lol.

• If you keep observing the eyeball, Sasha and Fiona remark that it feels like it follows you around the room.

Holy crap. O_O This is just... ugh. UGH.

If you keep observing the eyeball, Sasha and Fiona remark that it feels like it follows you around the room. My theory is that he was con

• Yep.

You can look at it three times to get different dialogue from them regarding how it "seemingly follows you" around the room. I'd wager he was definitely conscious, but paralyzed when they were trying to pull his eye out.

DeityD posted: »

If you keep observing the eyeball, Sasha and Fiona remark that it feels like it follows you around the room. Holy crap. O_O This is just... ugh. UGH.

• And there I was thinking it couldn't get any worse than it already is.

Yep. You can look at it three times to get different dialogue from them regarding how it "seemingly follows you" around the room. I'd wager he was definitely conscious, but paralyzed when they were trying to pull his eye out.

• It's TellTale!

It can always, always get worse, my friend.

DeityD posted: »

And there I was thinking it couldn't get any worse than it already is.

• "Not happening. Not happening!"

It's TellTale! It can always, always get worse, my friend.

• Dear lord that's horrible.

I actually hope they bring Pollux back; that scene was too messed up for a throwaway gag.

If you keep observing the eyeball, Sasha and Fiona remark that it feels like it follows you around the room. My theory is that he was con

• I was expecting him to wake up screaming in pain. Got the impression he wasn't dead soon as the cover was opened, since his body was fresh and no signs of rot.

I think Telltale missed a golden (and disturbing) opportunity here to have him wake up screaming, "MY EYES! O MY FUCKEN GOD MY EYES! MY FUCKEN EYES!" and cue a hilarious morality decision in whether or not to put him out of his misery, or 'tip-toe' away quietly leaving him screaming "MY EYES!"

• I'll be honest. I laughed my butt off when the bit about suspended animation came up. It was such a borderlands moment :p Though i think they missed a golden opportunity with Jack being off screen. Can you imagine his comments at that point? xD

• It is horrifying to think that the General was conscious during the eye removement. Watching as a total stranger holding a spoon/folk that you have been using before going to sleep and using that to remove your eyeballs. Watching how you lose your first eye with a stab and then watching how they gradually removing your remaining eye and lose your eyesight forever.

And there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO EXCEPT SCREAMING INSIDE YOU MIND!

I mean...Jesus!

• poor guy

• ....That's even more borderlandsy. And it made me giggle.

Yes, I'm a baaaaaad person :p

It is horrifying to think that the General was conscious during the eye removement. Watching as a total stranger holding a spoon/folk that y

• edited March 2015

Eeh yeah I remember this dialogue. My thought was "Pleasedontwakeup pleasedontwakeup pleasedontwakeup" while driving the spork into his head. I also thought he might could have lived through that since we just removed his eyes, but then again when Fiona got scared she did drive it into his head quite deeply lol.

• That makes two of us.

It made me jump slightly when Rhys screamed, I almost thought it was General Pollux at first. Then I realized it was just my favorite nutjob going crazy in the corner. The scary part is that he is probably still alive, though reviving him is pointless, since Athena is still clearly shown to be a threat.

SCR4P-TP posted: »

Eeh yeah I remember this dialogue. My thought was "Pleasedontwakeup pleasedontwakeup pleasedontwakeup" while driving the spork into his head

• I kind of torn between hoping he comes back, or that he's just mentioned in a throwaway comment, either way I would like it to come up again.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.