breaking the 4th wall a little too much

clap-tpclap-tp Banned
edited March 2015 in Tales from the Borderlands

yeah it was mostly funny, but borderlands never was about (over) breaking the 4th wall that more of a saints rowish thing. borderlands broke the forth wall in easter eggs and nearly never in a way that effect the story. if it will be done every episode it will be hard to take the story seriously, yeah i know borderlands is full of dark humor but thats not the same

Comments

• Yeah, I mean it's not like Borderlands has a mission where the villain literally asks you to kill yourself (and another character asks you to shoot them in the face) to expose the absurdity of the in-game mechanics, or that the characters narrating additional playthroughs question how the person telling the story is able to remember every tiny, minute detail - or, y'know, this:

Alt text

Yep, Borderlands never was about breaking the 4th wall!

• clap-tpclap-tp Banned
    edited March 2015

having a couple breaking the 4th wall moment in a 3 games franchise (that mostly wasnt part of the main campaing and was sort of easter eggs) dosent mean the game is about breaking the fourth wall, in the last tales episode the forth wall was broken 3 or 4 times, in less then a hour.

also if youre going to keep talking sarcastly dont expect to get a serious answer, this is a feedback and you can have youre opinion but there are ways to say it

Yeah, I mean it's not like Borderlands has a mission where the villain literally asks you to kill yourself (and another character asks you t

• You forgot to call him pumpkin or kiddo

Yeah, I mean it's not like Borderlands has a mission where the villain literally asks you to kill yourself (and another character asks you t

• Nah, the level of condescension was already at it's peak - I fear that would have pushed it over the line.

zeke10 posted: »

You forgot to call him pumpkin or kiddo

• Those were literally off the top of my head - I'm sure if I thought harder I could come up with more examples.

As for my response, I wasn't expecting a serious answer, but if you make a statement like "borderlands never was about breaking the 4th wall" I think it's kind of asking for this type of response.

There was no malice behind it though, I promise.

clap-tp posted: »

having a couple breaking the 4th wall moment in a 3 games franchise (that mostly wasnt part of the main campaing and was sort of easter eggs

• clap-tpclap-tp Banned
    edited March 2015

well some of those examples wasnt exactly forth wall breaking, like psycho asking you to shot him in the face, yeah its humoristic (new word) but its not breaking the forth wall.
    im kinda upset the game losing its balance more and more with each game and tales taking it farther, if you played borderlands 1 you will understand

Those were literally off the top of my head - I'm sure if I thought harder I could come up with more examples. As for my response, I wasn

• edited March 2015

Marvel also isn't about breaking the 4th wall but they have character like Deadpool who's doing it quite often. Ofc like you said about TftB - Telltale done that only in the latest episode (I don't remember anything like that in the first one) so it doesn't mean that they'll do this in every future episode. :)

• To add to your list, I recall Claptrap breaking the forth wall on occasion. Like this one time when speaking to him, he said something along the lines of "You're talking to me? And I don't even have an exclamation point over my head? This is the best day ever!"

I actually loved the forth wall breaking in the episode. Hell, I just love forth wall breaking in general.

Those were literally off the top of my head - I'm sure if I thought harder I could come up with more examples. As for my response, I wasn

• you do realise it was part of the game tiny tina played right?

Deadpoolian posted: »

To add to your list, I recall Claptrap breaking the forth wall on occasion. Like this one time when speaking to him, he said something along

• It actually is breaking the fourth wall because it shows the absurdity of the gameplay mechanics - you get a random mission, then you go and kill people - I only use that as an example because Anthony Burch has referred to it in the same manner saying how those type of missions subvert your expectation of an FPS and make you look at your character and their motivations.

In saying that, though, I completely get what you mean about BL1 - it was a very different type of humour and some of the stuff that Tales does just would not even remotely fit into the game. But I think that's more an issue with the direction that BL2 and TPS went rather than Tales itself - Telltale have just built on the humour from the most recent games (which, once again, is undeniably different to BL1). I personally think that they've nailed the tone of BL2/TPS, but if you already didn't like the direction that humour was heading in, then I can definitely see why you're not so keen!

well some of those examples wasnt exactly forth wall breaking, like psycho asking you to shot him in the face, yeah its humoristic (new word

• clap-tpclap-tp Banned
    edited March 2015

hope so

Tewudin posted: »

Marvel also isn't about breaking the 4th wall but they have character like Deadpool who's doing it quite often. Ofc like you said about TftB

• You can have hope though I don't mind. I don't see anything wrong in breaking the 4th wall 2-3 times. If we were talking about 8-10 times then I'd understand you that it was a little too much but... 2-3 or even 3-4 times? Come on.

hope so

• Yeah, I'm the same, I absolutely adore it as a form of humour, and am all about a knowing wink - I think Tales handled it in a really clever and funny way!

To add to your list, I recall Claptrap breaking the forth wall on occasion. Like this one time when speaking to him, he said something along

• i got the idea behind "shot that guy in the face mission" and it some sort of a parody of itself, but it wasnt an obvious forth wall break like there are in tales. lets say in game lore it can be explained easily as, the psycho was something like kreig and wanted to end it and saw an apportunity when a bounty hunter showed up. thats my point. latest borderlands game had forth wall breakers as easter eggs and things that dosent effect the plot (nearly all of the time)

It actually is breaking the fourth wall because it shows the absurdity of the gameplay mechanics - you get a random mission, then you go and

• edited March 2015

I think it's alright for them to break the 4th wall; every time they did it, it was really, really funny.

• i think 3-4 times in one episode is alot, but its not just the amount its the "kind" of 4th wall breaking, you know there are more obvious ones like charcter directly talking to you and there are some that can be explained in game lore

You can have hope though I don't mind. I don't see anything wrong in breaking the 4th wall 2-3 times. If we were talking about 8-10 times then I'd understand you that it was a little too much but... 2-3 or even 3-4 times? Come on.

• 3-4 times is a lot for an episode which have 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours and 30 minutes length? Okay... if you say so.

i think 3-4 times in one episode is alot, but its not just the amount its the "kind" of 4th wall breaking, you know there are more obvious ones like charcter directly talking to you and there are some that can be explained in game lore

• well, yeah. i cant remembet borderlands breaking the 4th wall 3-4 times in an hour.

3-4 times is a lot for an episode which have 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours and 30 minutes length? Okay... if you say so.

• allright, valid opinion

AlfMusic posted: »

I think it's alright for them to break the 4th wall; every time they did it, it was really, really funny.

• And you're sure it was 3-4 times, not 2-3 times? :P If you ask me I only remember 2 such situations from the latest episode but maybe that was only my playthrough.

well, yeah. i cant remembet borderlands breaking the 4th wall 3-4 times in an hour.

• clap-tpclap-tp Banned
    edited March 2015

you just said 3-4 times a comment up to me.. and i remember more then 2, there was a few small ones in dialogue option (such as the kidnapper saying "im going impatient" when you choise an answer which is basicly a 4th wall joke about the game machinices) but those are small ones, the 2 your talking about are the main ones

And you're sure it was 3-4 times, not 2-3 times? :P If you ask me I only remember 2 such situations from the latest episode but maybe that was only my playthrough.

• Fair point! But it's still a forth wall joke.

As for an example from the main game, he breaks the forth wall when explaining that the locker is for swapping items between your different character saves.

you do realise it was part of the game tiny tina played right?

• clap-tpclap-tp Banned
    edited March 2015

yeah those 2 (claptrap explaining about the stash in bl2, and moxxi in tps) are the biggest 4th wall breakers in borderlands 2 and tps, but there wasnt much of those that directly broke the 4th wall

Fair point! But it's still a forth wall joke. As for an example from the main game, he breaks the forth wall when explaining that the locker is for swapping items between your different character saves.

• Well... I said "2-3 or 3-4" but nevermind. Anyway like I said I only remember 2, prhaps this big ones. I guess I haven't noticed the rest which means they didn't bothered me.

you just said 3-4 times a comment up to me.. and i remember more then 2, there was a few small ones in dialogue option (such as the kidnappe

• allright, i just felt there was too much 4th wall breaking in this episode. but thats just my opinion

Well... I said "2-3 or 3-4" but nevermind. Anyway like I said I only remember 2, prhaps this big ones. I guess I haven't noticed the rest which means they didn't bothered me.

• Of course. :) This forum is about people making their opinion and then reading other people opinions about the same topic. Also about Telltale giving us some news sometimes but mainly for the fans to talk about stuff, right? :D

Wait... stuff...

Alt text

allright, i just felt there was too much 4th wall breaking in this episode. but thats just my opinion

• The thing is borderlands was never meant to be taken too seriously. The plot is so ridiculous 4th wall jokes don't even matter. If they took the plot to seriously and cut out some of the jokes out it would trim too much of the fat off this pugly funny popular fat kid and he wouldn't be as interesting anymore.

• Feeling like an episode of Ed Edd n' Eddy in this bitch :P

• I don't think opinions can be valid or invalid they're opinions

allright, valid opinion

• clap-tpclap-tp Banned
    edited March 2015

i completly disagree with you, borderlands has ALOT of lore behind it check out the wikis. say its not like family guy or something when things happens for no reasone or stuff like "door is locked, il belive that im in the other side and BOOM problem solved". yeah it had humor and wackiness but its on a planet full of psychos that kill each other all of the time so yeah.. stuff like death races happens

Lee4ever posted: »

The thing is borderlands was never meant to be taken too seriously. The plot is so ridiculous 4th wall jokes don't even matter. If they too

• clap-tpclap-tp Banned
    edited March 2015

eh.. good point. what i meant is i can see why he thinks this way.
    having invalid opinion is possible but its depend in your view of things, but that shit is too complicated and out of context to this theard

Clemenem posted: »

I don't think opinions can be valid or invalid they're opinions

• It actually has an extensive and pretty good lore behind it. Check the wiki and come back when you're done so I can see whether or not this large fish can actually decapitate somebody.

I mean, if it works, I get to use it, but if it doesn't, I have to sell it at 20% less than what I bought it for.

The thing is borderlands was never meant to be taken too seriously. The plot is so ridiculous 4th wall jokes don't even matter. If they too

• clap-tpclap-tp Banned
    edited March 2015

also if you saying borderlands was never meant to take seriously its just simply wrong, watch this trailer and tell me if it could have been any more serious

• bump

• Please don't bump threads if you have nothing new to contribute to discussion. Thanks.

bump

• edited March 2015

What you and me define as "good" lore is completely different. Just my opinion but I know most of the lore already and I still think the lore is kind of wack. The only thing really interesting in the story for me are the zany characters and the situations they get into.

If it took its self too seriously this game would just be another version of Destiny.

And only thing I like plot/lore wise from the BL series the TTG game.

LawmanZero posted: »

It actually has an extensive and pretty good lore behind it. Check the wiki and come back when you're done so I can see whether or not this

• Reminds me of the Dragon Keep DLC and how Brick's goddamn die squashed and destroyed the quest-giver/Tiny Tina's butler model.

• Then again, what annoys you about Burch's writing, exactly? He works with a team, but he's the most prominent of the group.

I like his characterisation, but not all of his dialogue or the fact that his political views are prominent in nearly everything.

What you and me define as "good" lore is completely different. Just my opinion but I know most of the lore already and I still think the lor

• well, twau lore is wackier then borderlands (future space treavel seems more realistic to me then world of fairy tales). and twau had humor in it, not as much. but now immiagne it will had alot of 4th wall breaks, would ruin the lore wouldnt it?

What you and me define as "good" lore is completely different. Just my opinion but I know most of the lore already and I still think the lor

• Would you list examples of breaking the fourth wall in TFTB specifically? The things mentioned are all from other Borderlands games, and I don't remember any in TFTB. So they must have fit pretty well with the scene, because nothing jarring stood out to me.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.