What if it was - all along?

So I'm just throwing this out there, with not a shred of evidence, but what if Rhys and Fiona wanted, for a reason or another, to get captured by this guy and all of this "hate" thing is part of the scam? I mean, they do get uncuffed but make no move to actually escape. What do you think?

Comments

• Hmmm nice theory. Rhys was pretty loud when first introduced and they seem pretty accommodating to their captor. We don't really know enough to know what's actually going on in that situation though. So who knows yet...could be.

• That...wow... I never thought of that. That could be it.

• And they just want The Captor to lead them back to wherever he/she's taking them...

Alt text

• Alt text

You may be onto something here...

• After playing that scene in episode two where Jack upgrades Rhys' hacking abilities to the point of being able to make a gun explode... I couldn't help but wonder why he wasn't using the same technique against their captor. So, your theory about going along with the captor is a good one! Or perhaps Rhys doesn't have access to Jack's power for whatever reason at that point in time.

• I really like to believe that they are just fooling The Stranger. They are rather quick to argue and be aggressive, almost too quick. Also, they are sleeping together during the opening of episode 2. Okay, it is not a strong evidence, but they weren't bounded together and they could have easily have slept separately.

• Thanks! Yeah, I thought it sounded so vehement that it got me thinking about how I'm currently playing my character and the fact that they are getting along so well and my Rhys trusted Fiona instead of Jack. Everytime there's a conflict emerging I'm trying to discuss calmly and I'm sure both characters are able to do so. So it the "current" situation was bothering me more and more. So I thought: where are Sasha and Vaughn? And then, seeing how they actually help The Captor finding some transportation means, that Rhys probably still have his tracking device activated and that Yvette doesn't seem to help him a lot, I thought that theory made sense... I think at the end of the story, The Captor is going to say "Wait. But that doesn't explain why you two hate each other." "Well. That's because we don't." Gets jumped by Vaughn and Sasha

DoubleJump posted: »

Hmmm nice theory. Rhys was pretty loud when first introduced and they seem pretty accommodating to their captor. We don't really know enough to know what's actually going on in that situation though. So who knows yet...could be.

• Yes! That's what I think too!

And they just want The Captor to lead them back to wherever he/she's taking them...

• Well, he does have this weird EchoEye in the "present" situation.

Deadpoolian posted: »

After playing that scene in episode two where Jack upgrades Rhys' hacking abilities to the point of being able to make a gun explode... I co

• I have a feeling the person they got kidnapped by is going to take off their mask/helm and reveal themselves as someone close to them.

• I like to think they were warming eachother in the cold Pandoran nights

I really like to believe that they are just fooling The Stranger. They are rather quick to argue and be aggressive, almost too quick. Also,

• I'd argue that them not moving to escape was due to the fact that the stranger was carrying a powerful shotgun at close range and the stranger has good aim, ala the bandit changing the car tire :P They could be overplaying the hate thing though, but I don't know what they would be trying to accomplish.

• edited March 2015

Could be that it depends on the player's choices as well.

For example, if the player manages to keep the peace, it could be that they are working together for some sort of endgoal and faking the hate. There "hate" towards each other is sudden and violent, much worse than their initial introduction. However, if the player did not keep the peace, then they truly do hate each other.

It's not out of TellTale's range.

But honestly, I'm personally hoping that something did happen, because I'm more for the story and I want to know what dramatic something Rhys and/or Fiona did in order for them to hate each other this much. Maybe that's just me other. Nonetheless, excellent theory.

• This is my theory, too, they're working together to pull a con on The Stranger. Somehow.

• why am i so exited about that theory ? =)

• I hope this is true because otherwise the only reason I can think of for them being so pissed off at each other would be Sasha and/or Vaughn dying do to a mistake/Jack, also just one of them dying wouldn't explain MUTUAL hate.......so yeah, I hope you're right.

As Deadpoolian pointed out this would also explain why Rhys doesn't use his hacking/other potential abilities in order to take out the captor.

• I didn't think of that, it does sound very plausible

• Well, maybe they're trying to trick him with the story of how they got to hate each other. When two opposing sides are telling the same story, you can be sure it's true, whereas when it's two friends telling it, well, you may get suspicious.

I'd argue that them not moving to escape was due to the fact that the stranger was carrying a powerful shotgun at close range and the strang

• Yeah, I also think Telltale can pull off a good rational explanation for this, but I also feel that it would be sort of the signature "poetic troll" of Telltale. Like, the scam begins with the story of a scam (It all begins with a scam) and the only way for them to survive is to tell tales (Arabian Nights stuff). But I'd be satisfied either way.

Could be that it depends on the player's choices as well. For example, if the player manages to keep the peace, it could be that they are

• Same here.

I want to see where TellTale's going with this, but for right now, my theory is that they really do hate each other and something drastic occurs in the near future -- er, recent past, I suppose is more accurate.

Fazz posted: »

Yeah, I also think Telltale can pull off a good rational explanation for this, but I also feel that it would be sort of the signature "poeti

• That's what I thought. Hopefully they don't kill the Stranger when he takes them to wherever they are tricking him to take them. He's kinda cool.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.