is that the real Athena?

i have no clue why but something tells me that Athena isn't really the real one that or she under some form of mind control

resions why i think this 1 her eyes are glowing red

2 is it just me or dose her voice sound matalic and echoish

Comments

• Well she is an ex lance assassin, in the pre sequel you can find some echo recordings of general knoxx talking about them. He does mention something about atlas doing something to them when they are kids. I bit of a stretch but you never know. Also when was that recording sent to general ploxx(is it ploxx?) ? Is athena scowering pandora free of atlas, and daaaaaaamn when did she get with janey?? gonna rule 34 that in a bit.

• Might've just been Fiona embellishing, which I find is quite likely.

Although if you want to go that route of belief, I noticed that she began to act "normal" after losing her shield. If something was up with her, I'd put money on it having something to do with her shield.

• Fiona embellishing on what?

And you might be right,good thing i took it from her. We'll see what happends.

Might've just been Fiona embellishing, which I find is quite likely. Although if you want to go that route of belief, I noticed that she

• edited March 2015

Well, you have to remember that Fiona and Rhys are telling the story. She could have easily been frightened by Athena or trying to make herself look better and described Athena as having "red eyes" and a "deep robotic voice".

It doesn't seem to far out of her personality trait range.

• to me it seems like red eyes and a deep robotic voice are worth mentioning rather then embellishing. At the most it would be I miss understanding, like her eyes seemed red or her voice was deeper and robotic.

Well, you have to remember that Fiona and Rhys are telling the story. She could have easily been frightened by Athena or trying to make hers

• So, IIRC, in the second play-through of BL:PS, Tiny Tina is talking to Athena about Janey and she says, 'Oooooh, you hit that, gimme high five! Athena, gimme high five 'cause you hit that!' You hear the smack of hands and Tina says, 'That's my girl.'

It's also been confirmed by a dev that Athena and Janey were/are a thing. If you do a search, you should be able to find the YouTube video of the conversations between Athena and Janey, and the Tina thing I mentioned.

• edited March 2015

Pretty sure that's the real Athena. No idea what's going on with the eyes and voice, though i suspect embellishment on Fionas part to make her appear scarier. Plus, the loaderbot thing was waaaaay out there. Note that Athena didn't fire a single shot or draw her sword, just smashed the crate they used for cover after Sasha started shooting and chased Fiona and Sasha clearly wanting to take them alive (which is something that Athena, honorable as she is, would prefer to do). Plus a mindcontrolled or doppelganger Athena propably wouldn't have gone all adorkable if you make certain choices and end up in in the catch-a-ride during the chase with Janey in there.
    As for the recording.....That boggles my mind, really. It should be many years old, as Atlas has been dead and gone from Pandora since the original borderlands.
    And i'm pretty sure she's been with Janey ever since The pre-sequel :p

• I'm pretty sure that giant alien thing from the ending of the pre-sequel have something to do with it, maybe it possesses Athena's body with the Aspis or something, to kill Rhys and Fiona for some reason, sorry for bad english

• Oh nice. I'll do the search. I must have missed it or haven't gotten to it yet on true vault hunter mode.

• I think it might be a clone/robot.
    Red eyes, metalic voice. Not to mention that the preview of ep 3 shows her with blue eyes.

• When I did the Athena part originally, it was with Loaderbot. At the time, I didn't think it was embellishment -- I thought someone had done something to Athena and it kind of pissed me off. But then I saw the Janey version and now I do think it was Fiona trying to make Athena out to be some crazed beast of a person when she was in pursuit. Just because she did go normal when Janey was there.

Oh, and I almost forgot. Presequel SPOILER -- This screenshot was taken from the end credits of the Presequel. It was my first playthrough, so I didn't know they were canon, but this little bit of art made me think they were, even before Tina's chat:

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/544147366414751157/2666071A885C4B047CBE07BED9994B359A7C5478/

• Yea i remember seeing that. But to me that felt more like a goodbye not "lets go to pandora and start a new life, also hook up". But I guess i'm proven wrong.

BonnieLass posted: »

When I did the Athena part originally, it was with Loaderbot. At the time, I didn't think it was embellishment -- I thought someone had done

• nah i'm pretty sure we killed that, repeatedly if I remember right. Bosses in the pre sequel are easy to squeeze for loots.

• I don't know, I think Athena is hiding something....

Might've just been Fiona embellishing, which I find is quite likely. Although if you want to go that route of belief, I noticed that she

• I'ma go with something about that shield is what makes her go hunter-killer red-eyed death-assassin. Fiona could be lieing, but I would only think that she's lieing about the voice and eye changes on Athena. She seems to actually try to capture her alive for the thrill of the hunt. The weird part is, three things happened while she changed from red-eyed to regular. Fiona and Sasha were with other people who didn't feed them fear of being killed by her, Janey was there to snap her out of whatever she was snapped into, and her shield was thrown into the trash. So Telltale writers are being pretty clever as to not give too many hints away.

• I think she's real. Athena want's everyone think she has retired but it must be more than reward for Fiona.

What about THE EYEBALL? Fiona still carries it, right? Maybe that is the reason. I believe eyeball will help next time; Athena will learn Fiona has killed her enemy and will stop chasing.

• She's probably embellishing.

Look, guys, ALL ACTUAL VAULT HUNTERS are expected to kill WHOLE ARMIES in a day. On Pandora, they're basically Jedi. FREAKING JEDI.

So imagine how scary it would be if one came after you. A typical Vault Hunter has blue, purple or legendary guns, purple rarity shields and grenades and relics, and an overpowered action skill. Pandorans only carry two guns-a primary and a backup, and at least 3 grenades and a half-decent shield.

Subsequently, she made Athena scarier than she actually was.

• I'm talking about that thing who saves Athena from Lillith at the end.
    14:40 +o-
    although, what's that thing said the last (I did not remember until now, by the way)... I do not think makes her look like bad.
    i'm talking about the alien

sonofargo08 posted: »

nah i'm pretty sure we killed that, repeatedly if I remember right. Bosses in the pre sequel are easy to squeeze for loots.

• Yea also did you take Athena's Shield to piss off Athena More?I did it and it was hilarious and badass I can't wait to see Fiona use Athena's Shield in the next future episodes.Also Rhysha fan too

Rhysha

• The aspis is Atlas tech, i think. Or at least human. And the alien influence had no voice changes or things like that in TPS. Nor was it exactly something you could hide as shown by Zarpaderps face. Aaaaand i don't think Athena was out to kill the girls. There was a conspicious absence of bullets and sword for one.

If the eyes/voice thing is not Fionas colorful storytelling, i'm thinking it's augments from her Atlas days we just haven't seen before. The Lance Assassins were a really, really scary bunch after all.

• Rhys even pauses her story for a bit to point out how she sounded like she was exaggerating.

• So, I was 100%, completely on the "Fiona is embellishing" train - but the more I've been thinking about it, the more my conviction is dwindling.

I think it might be real/accurate - and that the red eyes and robotic voice have been triggered by something (very likely one of our in-game options). I think Athena's like a sleeper agent (we know she was trained from childhood) who was programmed to bring down the Gortys project (explaining why her eyes are red in that video when she was threatening Pollux), and us obtaining the core/stealing Pollux's eye/etc. has awoken her assassin programming. I think she's tracking Fiona either by the core or Pollux's eye, and I think the only reason she stopped at Scooters was because the grenade Fiona threw overrode whatever shady programming she has in her brain (alternatively it only happens when she's in possession of her Aspis). She wasn't lying when she said those things to Janey, she either can't remember what happened, or is super confused.

This same conditioning that she underwent could have also been what caused the whole business with her sister to go down.

• I don't know, once she follows Fiona and Sasha into Scooter's garage, she gives Fiona and Sasha these cold, hard stares that read, "You got lucky, but I'm still coming after you." even when they both introduce themselves to her and when Fiona says that Athena has been chasing them, Athena gets nervous and starts sounding like someone covering their tracks.

So, I was 100%, completely on the "Fiona is embellishing" train - but the more I've been thinking about it, the more my conviction is dwindl

• this is a huge spoiler for the borderlands pre-sequel but it may be relevant, turn now or forever hold your peace (and hopefully i'm not violating some sacred code of "not talking about other games" ethics)

considering how TPS ends with Athena being spared by the eridian alien thing (who spoke with a wierd voice filter effect) maybe TFTB takes place after the events of the meta of TPS? AND what if Athena is being possesed by said eridian. Eridians are/were tasked with guarding vaults, which the Gortys project was founded upon discovering/opening, maybe athena is being used to bring about the protection of said vault(s)

• edited March 2015

Oooh, i loved the daggers that were shooting out of her eyes. Like you said, she was clearly aware of the situation she was in. Just finished this bit on my second playthrough yesterday and i have to say that the bit with Athena/Janey is much more satisfying than just Loaderbro tossing Athena :D Athena obviously cares a great deal about Janey and what she thinks so she's obviously keen to avoid getting caught playing fast and loose with her promises to Janey. I had so much fun being nice to Athena, shaking her hand and all while having the same Chesire Cat grin on my face as Fiona had all the while thinking 'Lady, i've really got you by the ovaries here don't i?'. For some reason this also popped in to my mind:
    Alt text
    I kept up the lie and it was obvious that Athena knew that i didn't have to do that. And left her shield alone too. Looking forward to maybe meeting Athena under better circumstances in the future :p

I personally don't think that the glowy eyes are a case of mind controll or programming. For one, hidden programming doesn't really care about personal relationships and if it would be tied to the Gordis project i don't think Athena would stop before Fiona and gang were dead. You can clearly see that her eyes were still glowing as the girls were at the garage door and her voice had the echo too, but what she was saying was 'No,no no don't go in there!', indicating personal feelings because Janey is in there. My guess is that they are just some augments from her assassin days and her reason for chasing the girls is mostly just plain old boredom and her reason for taking down the Gordis project was simply that she absolutely hated Atlas. The girls just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time with a sweet bounty on their heads.

J-Master posted: »

I don't know, once she follows Fiona and Sasha into Scooter's garage, she gives Fiona and Sasha these cold, hard stares that read, "You got

• I originally thought that Athena was "corrupted" in some way, similar to Zarpedon in the Pre-Sequel and this was something that is going to start happening to all vault hunters...

• The eridian eye glow was purple. And there wasn't a voice filter with Zarpaderp either. Actually, all eridian-related things are purple. Guess they like the color :p

• If you take the story path where you talk to Athena and Janey Springs in the garage, the dialogue suggests that Athena's past all of the assassin/mercenary/bounty hunter stuff -- or at least she's supposed to be. The red eyes and different voice, as well as the hood, are probably just a means of hiding what she's doing from Janey so as not to upset her.
    It's not impossible she's taken up guardianship of another Vault and it's affected her like it did Zarpedon, but I'd be surprised if it was anything more complex than "She doesn't want Janey to know that she's still hunting Atlas' leftovers."

• edited March 2015

I was thinking exactly the same thing, she just pretend to be a good person when Janey is here. Thats why she wanted Fiona and Sasha to not go in Scooter's garage, because she knew that Janey was there.

• I don't think Fiona was embellishing... I think it has something to do with that alien at the end of the Pre-Sequel. Well I'm actually 99.9% sure it is actually xD

(Skip to 17:39)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKsnk64tGNE

• Interesting tidbit: Just as i was letting Athena off the hook for the whole bounty hunting business i heard Janey say "We are supposed to be laying low". I wonder who they are hiding from? Anyway, i agree with you on that we shouldn't make the whole thing more complex than it has to be. I'm personally leaning towards Athena being bored from hiding and the girls showing up at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.