What did you think of Episode 2?

So, Episode 2 finally got released, and after the brilliance of Episode 1 it had a lot to live up to. I was pretty hyped for the second instalment following the first episode, but what did you people think of E2?

Immediately I noticed it was more serious than Episode 1: there were funny moments, yes, but this episode things got really gritty. It went from a funny series full of quality jokes to a much darker comedy, especially with the arrival of Jack. I still liked the episode a lot, but it lost a lot of it's light heartedness. I'm yet to decide whether that was a good or bad thing.

I also felt like it was slightly rushed: I mean come on, there were bandits coming after Fiona and Sasha left, right and centre, and it took them no time to get to the Atlas place- I had expected that to take a little longer. I'm not really complaining, I like stuff to be fast paced, but it just went from mundane and light hearted to suddenly very intense way too quickly for my liking. Having said that, if that's the effect they were trying to get (they are in a pretty messed up situation, sure) then TT succeeded.

It was still enjoyable t play though, and the plot twists every few minutes didn't get boring- it was completely unpredictable, something many TT games (eg; some episodes of TWD) fail to due. The plot almost felt chaotic, but it somehow reached a conclusion towards the end without feeling too structured, which I liked a lot. They got the balance between delivering a good story and also trying to shock the player perfectly- again, some games get too pre-occupied with the plot whilst others are everywhere in amongst all that's going on there isn't a satisfying conclusion for the player.

I also felt, however, that very few of your choices seemed to make any difference- the dialogue just went no where, and what choices you made seemed to matter quite less then they did in the first episode. The only choice that seemed to be of any meaning was the one at the end. The game was still enjoyable and I barely noticed how it was a bit deterministic at times, but on reflection I was left slightly disappointed.

Having said that though, I was still engrossed in the episode and can't wait for the third one, which hopefully won't take so long to release. Anyone agree/disagree?

Comments

• It's not really a bad thing that it went a little bit more dark, and it wasn't even THAT dark, there are some REALLY over the top jokes here.

• it was perfect

• The funny moments to serious moments are definitely on par with the Borderlands series itself. The game has a way of doing that from time to time instead of just making silly jokes constantly. There are some dramatic moments in the main game that were just as good as the ending to this episode.

Those bandits you are referring to are actually bounty hunters (unless you were referring to the optional motorcycle bandit/s). I believe they will play a way bigger role in the story to come, especially Athena. And the choices to me felt way more diverse than any other Telltale game. Two very big ones were telling Vaughn about Jack and heading straight to Old haven or not. These led to different scenes with different dialogue/choices.
    I hope we get more of the same goodness or better.

• It was one of my favourite episodes of any Telltale game. I´d say it was pretty darn good.

• It wasn't bad, just not great either IMO. I'd give it a strong 8

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
    edited March 2015

there are some REALLY over the top jokes here.

Handsome Jack sticking his hand through Vaughn's crotch and speaking in a cartoony voice comes to mind.

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

J-Master posted: »

It's not really a bad thing that it went a little bit more dark, and it wasn't even THAT dark, there are some REALLY over the top jokes here.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.