My view on Vasquez.

Vasquez: hilarious, psychotic, handsome, gun happy, ass hole who constantly beats our protagonist Rhys.

Alt text

This is sort of an analysis on Vasquez as a character and a villain.

I find Vasquez to be a well written and interesting villain mostly with how similar he is to Rhys and also how he's different from Rhys as well. Why do I say similar? Well, both he and Rhys started out as nobodies with Rhys selling business cards and Vasquez working in the mailroom constantly getting beaten by Handsome Jack, and both of them want to be at the top. However, Rhys actually WORKED his way to get to the top while Vasquez took the easy way out and killed Henderson and (possibly) promised Hyperion a Vault Key in order to get his promotion.

Also, both of them see Handsome Jack as a prime role model, as Rhys wants to be like Handsome Jack (depending on choices) and Vasquez thinks that Handsome Jack's legacy carries through him. Vasquez, in my opinion, kind of sees himself as the next Handsome Jack, with how he talks about being a tough role model, mentor for Rhys, and how he constantly beats Rhys to death similar to how Handsome Jack beat him. In that respect, Vasquez works very well as a villain and a foil for Rhys at least for me.

Alt text

Alt text

I might be a little wrong in some cases, and maybe I'm looking too much into it, but I thought Vasquez deserved a bit more credit as a villain, Oh and Patrick Warburton FTW.

Thoughts on this character?

Comments

• I actually feel for Vasquez.

Obviously, he's dangerous and that has been made clear on multiple occasions. However, I don't necessarily doubt that he has wanted to help Rhys, at least in the past. He mentions several times that he's impressed by what lengths Rhys went to and even though it seemed sarcastic, I felt it was pretty genuine.

Like anyone else at Hyperion, his idol was a madman. A madman who technically had good intentions, but fell way too far off the deep end. As seen in episode two, he was Jack's punching bag and likely developed the idea that it was some sort of way to show affection. So, he passes his punches onto Rhys in a way. Hyperions are crazy, am I right?

The villains in this game are fantastic so far, but I don't expect anything less from TellTale.

• edited March 2015

However, Rhys actually WORKED his way to get to the top while Vasquez took the easy way out and killed Henderson and (possibly) promised Hyperion a Vault Key in order to get his promotion.

I'm not really sure backstabbing people and making some shady deals like that with eridium mines can be called "actually worked his way to the top". What's the difference here? We're not even sure he didn't kill anybody. Directly I mean because those miners obviously not too happy even if still alive.

• What I mean is that Vasquez killed a Hyperion official and promised something while Rhys DID HIS JOB to try and get his promotion.

DeityD posted: »

However, Rhys actually WORKED his way to get to the top while Vasquez took the easy way out and killed Henderson and (possibly) promised Hyp

• Not quite so, he killed him because his superiors let him. They let him because he found a Vault key.

And obviously, Rhys didn't get that promotion just because he did his job. Just like Jack and just like Vasquez he did more than that in order to get it.

J-Master posted: »

What I mean is that Vasquez killed a Hyperion official and promised something while Rhys DID HIS JOB to try and get his promotion.

• Vasquez is amazing. All hail Vasquez of Assquez.

Vasquez > August

• edited March 2015

And his job possibly involved killing people on Pandora and such, point is. Rhys worked and Vasquez didn't work by killing a Hyperion official and promising a Vault Key in order for Hyperion to give him his promotion.

Not quite so, he killed him because his superiors let him. They let him because he found a Vault key. And obviously, Rhys didn't get that

• edited March 2015

\o_o/ I give up because I just can't see it. Because for me the three of them are even in that matter (with Jack being the smartest of the bunch).

upd. I can see the difference only if I look at it like Rhys was trying to play by the rules while Vasquez and Jack kinda made their own.

J-Master posted: »

And his job possibly involved killing people on Pandora and such, point is. Rhys worked and Vasquez didn't work by killing a Hyperion official and promising a Vault Key in order for Hyperion to give him his promotion.

• Vasquez is a great character for this game. He has his reasons for being the villain in this adventure and they're good ones too (at least from face value I think I know what his intentions are). I was really expecting him to be a pain the neck from afar in Helios, but Telltale did the smart thing and brought him on Pandora. Since money rules everything on that planet, hopefully he'll just keep hiring thugs/mercs as fodder for the story.

Although I do suspect that they'll kill him off and move this "Vallory" character as main antagonist.

• I do like Vasquez. That voice, that look... so cool! I really hope they don't kill him off soon, I'm only starting to really like him as a villain.
    He'd better still be alive at the beginning of episode 3, that is if Jack doesn't make the drones kill him. If he dies then, well, I might cry. :)

DoubleJump posted: »

Vasquez is a great character for this game. He has his reasons for being the villain in this adventure and they're good ones too (at least f

• He's a total douche. After the scene with prototype gun, I thought - what a moron! Compared to him Jack was (is) genius.

• I love the "different but similar" trope he has with Rhys :D Same idole and same goal in Hyperion.
    I think personnaly that things will start to collapse around him regarding his relationship with Hyperion and this "Vallory" that hasn't shown up yet because of the fakeness of the promised key and the possible future escape of Rhys/Fiona and that will just drive him mad a little more :D

• Vasquez is one of the best antagonists in the series and NO ONE can convince me otherwise

• He is one of TT's best written characters, in my opinion. It is very hard in a comedy to create an actual villain who is humorous but is also a genuinely dangerous individual, and TT struck the balance perfectly with him. They could've ended up making him too comic or too dark, but in the end they got the balance between absurdity and threat perfectly.

• In their modern games? Yeah. There were quite a few humorous villains in their older stuff.

He is one of TT's best written characters, in my opinion. It is very hard in a comedy to create an actual villain who is humorous but is als

• He's definitely my favorite Telltale main villain. I think he embodies the ultimate comedy villain. He's corny, arrogant, dumb and dashing, the more interesting part of the dunce and douche duo" He's the perfect kind of character for this game. I think you have a decent enough analysis regarding what comes around goes around. Here's to Hugo Wallethead Vasquez

• Vasquez> Carver= Crooked Man> Lechuck>The Stranger> Ludd Whitehill

Ranking the main villains

Vasquez is amazing. All hail Vasquez of Assquez. Vasquez > August

• Pfft, Vasquez is the diet soda of Hyperion villains!

(No, he's tremendously well-written and performed - and it's fascinating to see the different ways in which people have been influenced by Jack's reign. Both Rhys and Vasquez are equally inspired by Jack and are striving to live up to his reputation, but they're going about it in very different ways. I do fear that either he or August's time is up, though - which would be a shame.)

• I personally want him to stick around longer. It is just so fun to make fun of the guy. I don't really see him as a villain. Just like with Handsome Jack, I just see him as a playmate of some sort. Sounds weird I know, but it is rare that you want the villain to be alive.

I wasn't really threaten when he appeared at the desert. If anything, that scene felt like an every day occurrence. Casual is the word, it felt so casual and it makes it so hilarious. :)

• YES. rhys is not as good of a person to begin with lol. he also said to vaughn in EP1 about the promotion, '' and a stab to a few select backs made this possible '' of that sort. so yeah, Rhys is no good either, the difference is that rhys is manipulative but not a killer, well in his hyperian days maybe, but vasquez is both. he killed hiss boss to be a boss. so yeah, neither Rhys nor Vasquez is good people actually xD its how you see them. you dont see rhys as a villian, but he is. in his own way, he does actually lol :p

However, Rhys actually WORKED his way to get to the top while Vasquez took the easy way out and killed Henderson and (possibly) promised Hyp

Sign in to comment in this discussion.