Sound compression in Telltale's Games

edited November 2006 in General Chat
I'm replaying The Great Cow Race, and really enjoying it, except for the sound compression getting on my nerves. I understand the download size needs to be kept as low as possible, but what are the chances of offering a seperate download for future releases with higher quality sound for those of us with faster connections?

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    It's not a bad idea. You're definitely not the first person to bring up the sound compression. (It's weird - it seems to bother some people a lot, and others don't even notice it. I think I hear what people are talking about, but it doesn't bother me at all.)
  • edited May 2006
    The compression on the voices in Out from Boneville sounded much heavier than the Great Cow Race. Cow Race had a little less of that "fuzziness." I remain very impressed with how much voicework and quality art Telltale manages to pack into conveniently-sized downloads, but I'd also someday like to see versions of the games that give a little more breathing room to the textures, voice, etc. (and I was a little surprised they didn't do so for the CD version).
  • edited November 2006
    You can even distribute it through bittorrent technology. That way you save bandwidth!
  • edited November 2006
    Emily wrote: »
    It's not a bad idea. You're definitely not the first person to bring up the sound compression. (It's weird - it seems to bother some people a lot, and others don't even notice it. I think I hear what people are talking about, but it doesn't bother me at all.)
    I would also like to vote in favor of the better audio quality option. Once I started to do audio codec quality tests in HydrogenAudio.org, even smallest audio quality problems have begun to bother me more and more over the years. I think it would have been better not to mix with such hobbies but it looks like it's too late for me now. This is an example which serves as a warning for everyone else. :)
    Ignorance is bliss.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.