Do I need to play the series to play this game?

I've been contemplating getting this game for months and don't know if I should. The demo really wants me to get this game but my hard drive does not. :P also do I need to play the series? I've watched my friends play some of it and it looks great but I spend waaaaaaaayyyyy to much money on games so I don't have it. The good thing about Telltale is all their games are at reasonable prices.

Comments

• edited April 2015

As in the Borderlands series? I got Tales from the Borderlands with little to no knowledge of the Borderlands universe, and it did a very good job at filling in the gaps for newcomers to the franchise. Granted, I did then start playing Borderlands 2 and watching playthroughs of the Pre-Sequel and realized that you'll get a lot more out of the game if you understand the other characters and the lore, but as it stands it's fine as it's own stand-alone game.

• Well, the whole Borderlands setting is awesome! It's like GTA in science fiction.

The most important things happens in the first game and all its dlc
    (By the way, you can find it very cheap with often discounts)

Then you have to walk through the second game and all its dlc to realize how beauty wonderful and important was the first game. After that Tales also becomes particularly important.

The Pre-Sequel is not important. Just a fan content.

• No, almost everything you need to know is explained in the first episode's intro. But you won't understand some of the references, though.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

I didn't know much about the Borderlands universe before i played and i have really enjoyed it, there are some references that i don't get but it didn't take away any enjoyment from the game.

• Overall? No, you'll do fine even if you've never played the series. That said, you're going to get a lot more out of this game if you have played the series simply because you'll get the references and know a lot of the other characters that pop up [and that will, in some ways, give context for their actions].

• The Pre-Sequel is not important. Just a fan content.

Heresy.

Not to mention it contains more infro about Jack and Hyperion than any other game.

I'd say this - if you don't have the money and don't want to spend much time playing yourself, just watch the playthrough of the pre-sequel and BL2. TftB can be easily played without doing so, but as someone who played it first and got other BL games later I can say you'll be missing a lot if you don't see other games, it will be a whole different story.

Klopotinsha posted: »

Well, the whole Borderlands setting is awesome! It's like GTA in science fiction. The most important things happens in the first game and

• Well I bought it before I played the actual games, and I didn't know much about it then, and I enjoy it immensely. Since trying the actual games series, I appreciate Tales even more.

• I brought Borderlands 2 before Tales got released to help me understand the setting. It is not necessary to play that game to understand Tales from the Borderlands, but it is certainly a huge gimmick.

• I played Borderlands 1 and 2 for about a total of 2 hours and I couldn't stand either of them but I think Tales is great no mindless running around and shooting.

• Yeah I didn't really like 1 and 2 either. I'm not really a fan of fps games.

I played Borderlands 1 and 2 for about a total of 2 hours and I couldn't stand either of them but I think Tales is great no mindless running around and shooting.

• I think that was a big part of me not liking them but I think I only paid $5 for each so not a big loss.

Yeah I didn't really like 1 and 2 either. I'm not really a fan of fps games.

• I really didn't like borderlands that much, and I played this with almost no knowledge, and this might be my favorite telltale game ever

• edited April 2015

From the FAQ:

(4) Do I have to play the other Borderlands games before I can play Telltale's series?

You will get more from the game if you are aware of the franchise before you play it, but it is not necessary. Telltale does a good job of adding things that people who know the franchise will appreciate, while keeping the game from getting confusing for people who are new to the franchise.

I have never played a Borderlands game before (I'm now interested in getting BL2) and this is becoming one of my favorite games by Telltale. You should definitely get it.

• You can definitely play Tales without prior knowledge of the Borderlands universe. The game gives a small intro that sets up the game, and should cover some basic things that you need to know. Playing as Rhys, there's even more information at your finger tips, as he is able to scan items to see blurbs about them.

I would suggest getting Tales whenever you're able to, and if you're still interested in trying out borderlands, pick up BL2 when it goes on sale on steam, or whatever is available to you.

• If you want, I watched this video and it just gives you the general idea of the lore: Borderlands recap

• edited April 2015

Alt text

Holy cow thanks for all the feedback. I'll probably drive to the store and get a gift card :D

Anyways more cows

Alt text

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

That is one holy cow.

Alt text

Holy cow thanks for all the feedback. I'll probably drive to the store and get a gift card Anyways more cows

• Thanks to you guys I bought it but now I need to start thinking of a new hard drive ;-;
    Alt text

• edited April 2015

heh.. i thought in Borderlands 2 it was clear that the faceless one who wanted us to call him Jack was nothing but coarse trolling and provocation.

[may contain spoilers]

It's a bit frightening how so many fans gathered around impersonation of idiocy, immorality and ignorance. Jack is not even the antagonist. It's just a silly cartoonish parody to Steve f*ing Haines with elements of Zachary Comstock's storyline about power grab with using magical daughter (these two assholes are antagonists in other two moral educational games under Take2) and Handsome Jack itself is nothing but farce and lie. It's empty. Just a monster to defeat. The Destroyer compared with this Jackhole seems like a very intelligent person! And the pre- sequel brings this to the total absurdity.
    Yeah, the pre- sequel is worth to walk through to sent away all doubts... and for the moment with the Eye! Great reason to forgive Moxxi! ^_^

And this fake Jack starts to looks more or less pertinent only in TellTale's Tales as a visual aid how Rhys may look like in very bad version of the universe, but it does not make him more valuable.

And don't even try to argue with me! (if you dislike my side of view just consider me crazy and don't pay attention)

That's what I do with Hyperion assholes!
    Alt text
    MOAR artworks you may find HERE or THERE

P.S. for a more complete understanding of Borderlands setting i can also advise some neighbor games to this universe:

Unreal(1998) and its addon Return To Na Pali - takes place in the same universe and perfectly reveals the theme of double standards.

Half-Life: Opposing Force - takes Schrödinger's cat's place in some universes and some versions of multiverse... ugh... lol it's difficult :D
    This is debut project and the first masterpiece by Gearbox. I guess that while creating this game they come up with basis of Borderlands setting. So you can find there some answers... kinda... More precisely, explanations why some things should not cause questions. Everything is relative.

And, of course, Bioshock Infinite - parallel sci-fi project by 2K, the flip side of the coin with Borderlands 2 storyline. By the way, the main protagonist there voiced by Troy Baker too. And like Rhys he must defeat an asshole who looks like very bad version of himself but in fact has nothing similar.

DeityD posted: »

The Pre-Sequel is not important. Just a fan content. Heresy. Not to mention it contains more infro about Jack and Hyperion than a

Sign in to comment in this discussion.