The Borderlands Lore Megathread UPDATED with new title, Pre-Sequel lore, and more (Spoilers inside)

Comments

• Gameplay>Story

Revec posted: »

I was never really interesting in borderlands and after reading that great write up, I'm glad I skipped it. The story seems really meh. Hopefully TT can do something good with it. Thanks for the write up.

• Didn't Claptrap build an army of new claptraps in one of the BL2 DLC's

• That was in Borderlands 1, the robot revolution DLC.

OverDrive posted: »

Didn't Claptrap build an army of new claptraps in one of the BL2 DLC's

• And what happened to it? Did they just get wrecked by Hyperion and bandit's n' stuff?

That was in Borderlands 1, the robot revolution DLC.

• Nah, the original vault hunters pretty much destroy the army apart from the original claptrap (the one from BL2). I assume that many claptraps were still on Pandora afterwards in places like New Haven and so on, but then Hyperion arrived and for some reason they destroyed every claptrap still alive. The BL2 claptrap somehow managed to survive.

OverDrive posted: »

And what happened to it? Did they just get wrecked by Hyperion and bandit's n' stuff?

• I cant believe I just red ALL OF THAT... But it was worth it! THANK YOU SO MUCH :D

• The feedback for the thread has been great, so thanks everyone for that.

I haven't updated it in quite a while since I reached a point where I thought I'd covered mostly everything important. I WILL, however, update the thread with the upcoming new lore in the Pre Sequel (coming in October) as soon as I get my hands on it, and I've preordered it anyway.

I'll also update the thread with any missing relevant information after each episode of TFTB is released, if there are things in there that people are confused about.

Please, if you want to know anything, specifically or generally, about this universe, post a comment about it, and I'll update the OP accordingly.

Also, I've been trying to think of a shorter snappier yet still informative name for the thread, but I'm low on ideas, so any help there is appreciated. :P

• The title's fine, at least people see it and are like: "Yep, I definitely wanna see that!" But change it if you like, I'm not good with names myself :D.

Trentest0 posted: »

The feedback for the thread has been great, so thanks everyone for that. I haven't updated it in quite a while since I reached a point wh

• edited October 2014

UPDATES Incoming: The Pre-Sequel is out, and I've just finished it. The game drops a metric **** ton of information about the Borderlands universe as a whole, surprisingly. I've got a lot of work to do updating this thread accordingly, though I'm fairly committed to getting it all updated.

There will be new information about Hyperion, the history of the galaxy of Borderlands, the Eridians, Handsome Jack, the moon Elpis, and lots lots more. The game also did a lot of character building for the original Vault Hunters, so that's going to need some revisiting as well. The first thing I'll be needing to do is get the continuation all in chronological order, then completely redo most of the thread.

The result will be an easier to read summary, with hopefully ALL the information, that will make going into Tale from the Borderlands a smooth transition. So, stay tuned.

• edited November 2014

Thanks for this; I am one of those people who was really hoping for some sort of guide, and you've fulfilled that wonderfully. I played the first 45 minutes or so of BL2 a year or so ago, but never could get into it for various reasons. So this is much appreciated.

Maybe this game will end up changing that.

• Good luck, mate. Can't wait to read it :)

UPDATES Incoming: The Pre-Sequel is out, and I've just finished it. The game drops a metric **** ton of information about the Borderlands un

• I've finished adding in the sections most relevant to the Pre Sequel, you'll notice them before the Corporations section.

There's still stuff to add, so that should come in time.

Good luck, mate. Can't wait to read it

• Thank you so much, I love Telltales games and i was tempted to buy tales from the borderlands from reviews n things but knew nothing about the universe, So thanks!

• And,what about the giant dead monster we see everywhere?

Like this one: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416854133

they are pretty much all the of same kind in borderland 1 and 2.

• maybe they are a remnant of raid bosses ? ? ? ? ?

funfact : moxxi was a vault hunter .

Janissaire posted: »

And,what about the giant dead monster we see everywhere? Like this one: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416854133 they are pretty much all the of same kind in borderland 1 and 2.

• I think Shade (in Borderlands 2's DLC) briefly mentions that Pandora used to be covered with oceans and for some reason it all dried up. I assumed these creatures used to live in the oceans, since many of them look like fish (I think most of them have fins). So I guess they were like prehistoric aquatic mega-dinosaurs. But that's really just a vague assumption, I'm not sure if any of this is true or not.

Janissaire posted: »

And,what about the giant dead monster we see everywhere? Like this one: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416854133 they are pretty much all the of same kind in borderland 1 and 2.

• Pandora has a long, long orbit, and thus very long seasons. The general idea seems to be that the planet goes through a very barren, hot season, and a cooler season, where the wildlife hibernates. I suppose constant, year-long heavy rainfall during the cooler season would replenish the seas and lakes Shade talks about.

Also, this bump reminds me that I should really update this thread...
    ... if anyone has some lore facts they want to throw out, keep them coming.

I think Shade (in Borderlands 2's DLC) briefly mentions that Pandora used to be covered with oceans and for some reason it all dried up. I a

• Claptrap is a strange enigma of a character, where every major thing that happens somehow ends up revolving around him almost entirely. He's been at the very heart of some of the series' core events, and he's been on both the good and bad guys side multiple sides. Even if he never wanted to be, he's thrown into the center of everything all the time.

Is there a named trope for this character trait?

Nah, the original vault hunters pretty much destroy the army apart from the original claptrap (the one from BL2). I assume that many claptra

• You forgot about Dr. Ted lore.

There is a legend about a guy named Dr. Ted who's quest is to find Lilith and battle her to death on the top of a Vault/Volcano, and she falls in and dies, and the Vault opens, ad Dr. Ted gets rewarded with even more knowledge of genes and mutations from the vault. He learns how to handle sirens with more profession than Jack, so his mission is to capture the sirens, and study them without harming them. He captures half of them, and the other half fights back and Dr. Ted is forced to kill them. And he proceeds to boost the powers of the captured sirens. He is friends with them, but he manipulates them to help him take control of the borderlands universe. But since Lilith comes back stronger, Dr. Ted turns his needle of Chemically Enhancing Physiology on himself, and becomes stronger and bigger to fight Lilith. He tears her apart, and he proceeds to rule the Borderlands for all eternity.

Dr. Ted is love. Dr. Ted is life.

• Anything about the Claptastic Voyage lore?

• Thank you for taking the time to type all of that out - it's been really helpful! Just wondering who General Knoxx is though? Apologies if you did already mention this.

• fanfic don`t count :(

You forgot about Dr. Ted lore. There is a legend about a guy named Dr. Ted who's quest is to find Lilith and battle her to death on the t

• What if its not fan-fiction, but eventually reality one way or another? Does that at-least count for something? :(

momokaze posted: »

fanfic don`t count

• he is a reluctan crimson lance general :v

Thank you for taking the time to type all of that out - it's been really helpful! Just wondering who General Knoxx is though? Apologies if you did already mention this.

• Is he a 'good' guy?

he is a reluctan crimson lance general :v

• In a way... he's a "good guy" but he's still an antagonist.

After the first Vault was opened and Steele was killed, Atlas dispatched reinforcements to Pandora led by General Knoxx, but they were fighting a lost cause as it was. Knoxx became very depressed, especially as his commander was a 5 year old (nepotism).

When the Vault Hunters eventually confront him, he is trying to kill himself anyway, and lets them fight him to have a better chance of offing himself quicker.

Is he a 'good' guy?

• edited April 2015

Whoa - that's... kinda sad...
    Thanks for clearing that up though!

In a way... he's a "good guy" but he's still an antagonist. After the first Vault was opened and Steele was killed, Atlas dispatched rein

• So, out of all of the games and lore and stuff, which character is most powerful, or at least has the most potential to be powerful? Also, which race? (as in humans, robots, aliens)

• Got to say Sirens and the Guardians. Both of these can do things with their minds...Like kill and fight.

So, out of all of the games and lore and stuff, which character is most powerful, or at least has the most potential to be powerful? Also, which race? (as in humans, robots, aliens)

• edited April 2015

Isn't "The Traveler" in this game?

(Like the Vault Guardian. As in, "The Destroyer", "The Warrior", "The Sentinel")

Yeah, that makes sense. They were created by the Eridians who also created the Vaults and the Warrior and stuff. I can't wait to see more of "The Watcher" in the next Borderlands game.

• Yeah, that makes sense. They were created by the Eridians who also created the Vaults and the Warrior and stuff. I can't wait to see more of "The Watcher" in the next Borderlands game.

Got to say Sirens and the Guardians. Both of these can do things with their minds...Like kill and fight.

• It could be, I know that's the name of Episode 5 but I have no idea what The Traveler is. The Watcher is an Eridian that appears in Borderlands: The Pre-sequel. It basically shows up in random scenes and stops peoples bullets in mid-air. Then at the end it tells Lilith and the crew that they need to find as many vault hunters as they can because "there is a war coming..."

Isn't "The Traveler" in this game? (Like the Vault Guardian. As in, "The Destroyer", "The Warrior", "The Sentinel")

• Yeah, I finished TPS. I'm curious about what Tales will do with it.

It could be, I know that's the name of Episode 5 but I have no idea what The Traveler is. The Watcher is an Eridian that appears in Borderla

• Yeah, I bet Claptrap could be in the running for most powerful too. At least when you look at Claptastic Voyage. He has VaultHunter.exe, 5H4D0W-TP, and when he had the H-Source, which Jack continuously referred to as "Digital Omnipotence", he was basically unstoppable. The Vault hunters where able to temporarily subdue him but even after several tries they were still unable to kill him. Plus, imagine what he could do if Claptrap accepted his "high-five" deal. He would have literally destroyed the universe.

Yeah, I finished TPS. I'm curious about what Tales will do with it.

• Claptrap could of been considered most powerful before Shadow trap sacrificed its self and the Vaulthunter.exe program in order to keep Claptrap alive.

Yeah, I bet Claptrap could be in the running for most powerful too. At least when you look at Claptastic Voyage. He has VaultHunter.exe, 5H4

• Wuut? since when this was mentioned? lol. i always say that moxxi should never be one, the irony :p

maybe they are a remnant of raid bosses ? ? ? ? ? funfact : moxxi was a vault hunter .

• Phew, I just read this whole thing! Thank you so much to OP for making it! :)

I bought Borderlands after playing episode 2, but since I suck at first person, it could take a while to finish all the games (like... until the final episode of TFTB). So in the meantime, it is very helpful to have this guide to the Borderlands world!

• Oh, I never realized that he sacrificed himself AND VaultHunter.exe but now that you say that it all makes sense.

Claptrap could of been considered most powerful before Shadow trap sacrificed its self and the Vaulthunter.exe program in order to keep Claptrap alive.

• Even Jack the Doppleganger because he wields Compound Interest - "The most powerful force in the universe"

Just kidding, that's just the flavor text from one of his skill trees.

Claptrap could of been considered most powerful before Shadow trap sacrificed its self and the Vaulthunter.exe program in order to keep Claptrap alive.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.