Why is development on this game so slow?

Game of Thrones released after Tales from the Borderlands, yet that series has now had four episodes release while Tales has only had two in a slightly longer time frame.

I love GoT so I'm not complaining about its release schedule, but the wait times on Tales are a little frustrating. Particularly so while Minecraft is in the works. Shouldn't Tales or GoT have been completed first before moving on to a third title? I can't help but wonder if Minecraft is getting in the way of this game's development.

Comments

• It's the classification, not Telltale.

• edited June 2015

That's a new excuse. I would think classification takes the same amount of time regardless of the game. Why would Borderlands take longer than GoT?

It's the classification, not Telltale.

• Alt text

mosfet posted: »

That's a new excuse. I would think classification takes the same amount of time regardless of the game. Why would Borderlands take longer than GoT?

• I can't help but wonder if Minecraft is getting in the way of this game's development.

It isn't though.

• Based on what?

It's an assumption.

• So you're making shit up. Got it.

• It's an assumption.

So you're making shit up. Got it.

• Episode 3 is already classified in New Zealand.

And the file size of the episode is changing in SteamDB, and classification boards tend to reject games whenever it has bugs and stuff.

Based on what?

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

I always find it funny that Minecraft is one of the first things to be blamed when people think something is wrong.

Green613 posted: »

I can't help but wonder if Minecraft is getting in the way of this game's development. It isn't though.

• Usually the thing they care least about is what they use to blame it on (just like with TWAU being blamed for TWD taking a while to release). Not saying OP is doing that though, I'm just assuming that's the case considering it usually is.

dojo32161 posted: »

I always find it funny that Minecraft is one of the first things to be blamed when people think something is wrong.

• Haha, yeah, don't remind me. I remember getting a good laugh out of the people accusing Wolf Among Us of slowing down Walking Dead: Season 2 when it was Wolf fans who got the short end of the stick in some areas like the wait from Episode 1 to Episode 2.

Usually the thing they care least about is what they use to blame it on (just like with TWAU being blamed for TWD taking a while to release). Not saying OP is doing that though, I'm just assuming that's the case considering it usually is.

• edited June 2015

That is what I'm doing. Because who cares about Minecraft? A game with no story finally gets a story? Wow, I can barely contain the excitement.

Even if I was stoked for that game I'd still be convinced it was playing a role in the delays with Tales, I'd just be less likely to complain about it. The fact that GoT is being developed simultaneously is probably playing a role as well. The difference though, at least for me, is GoT is at least a game worth playing.

Usually the thing they care least about is what they use to blame it on (just like with TWAU being blamed for TWD taking a while to release). Not saying OP is doing that though, I'm just assuming that's the case considering it usually is.

• Almost 7 months since episode 1 came out. That is pretty ridiculous, but perfection takes time I suppose :)

• I think it's cause they plan on realising one episode every 3 months? From what I've read it's planned to release Quarterly not Bi-Monthly like Game of Thrones.

• edited June 2015

Alt text

12 is everyone's hope of the date of the episode release.

• Because Telltale is powered by a big water mill. They need to collect enough fan tears to run their computers.

At 20 weeks, they will have enough. >.>

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Because who cares about Minecraft?

Raises hand

Scaeva posted: »

That is what I'm doing. Because who cares about Minecraft? A game with no story finally gets a story? Wow, I can barely contain the exciteme

• Episode 3 is already classified in New Zealand. And the file size of the episode is changing in SteamDB, and classification boards tend to reject games whenever it has bugs and stuff.

• You not caring about it = everyone not caring about it.

Amazing logic.

That is what I'm doing. Because who cares about Minecraft? A game with no story finally gets a story? Wow, I can barely contain the exciteme

• They never said that themselves, though. They even admitted with Episode 2 that development was slower than predicted.

prink34320 posted: »

I think it's cause they plan on realising one episode every 3 months? From what I've read it's planned to release Quarterly not Bi-Monthly like Game of Thrones.

• because game of thrones makes more money

• That was obviously hyperbole.

Telltale crafting a story from Minecraft is a mistake however. Another season of TWAU would have been a better idea, if they were so deadset on working on three projects at once. At least that is an interesting universe to set your game in.

You not caring about it = everyone not caring about it. Amazing logic.

• You obviously didn´t read the FAQ´s for TftBL, specifically the release information.

prink34320 posted: »

I think it's cause they plan on realising one episode every 3 months? From what I've read it's planned to release Quarterly not Bi-Monthly like Game of Thrones.

• HBO probably has stricter release guides.

• i rembered how i suffered waiting for episode 5 of the wolf among us, that's the first time i played a telltale game and it was awesome. Now i suffer through every episode. it was nice when i got to play 5 episodes of twd at the same day.

• Other TT games are taking our TFTBL people.

• Oh, you people. Stop trying to make it sound like the episodes are going to release between 4- 6 weeks. We all know that will never happen...

Idle_hand posted: »

You obviously didn´t read the FAQ´s for TftBL, specifically the release information.

• cause people keep bitching, whenever telltale see someone complain they delay the episode by one month

• 4 - 6 months.

AChicken posted: »

Oh, you people. Stop trying to make it sound like the episodes are going to release between 4- 6 weeks. We all know that will never happen...

• Game of Thrones already has an established storyline, plus various consultants from the TV show, so it's fairly easy for them to create quality episodes in a timely manner.
    • With Tales, they're creating their own story using unique characters, and there's not a whole lot of source material to go off from.
  • So, it's kinda like what happens to Half Life 2 Episode 3. Whenever anyone makes fat jokes about Gabe Newell, he delays Episode 3 by 1 year.

Jewfreeus posted: »

cause people keep bitching, whenever telltale see someone complain they delay the episode by one month

• edited June 2015

They are working with GearBox. Borderlands is GearBox's baby, they are probably breathing down TellTales neck. I wonder how TFTBL would have been if Gearbox wasnt there.

Maybe thats why it is taking so long.

• Because of wieener, wiener wieener, floppy wiener, wiener wieener!

• Even if I was stoked for that game I'd still be convinced it was playing a role in the delays with Tales,

well you'd be wrong

• I asked this question before episode 2 came out and got called a TFTBL fanboy who hates GoT (despite me preferring GoT). The simple answer is that they're two completely different development teams, and they evidently work at different speeds.

• I asked this question before episode 2 came out and got called a TFTBL fanboy who hates GoT

I don't think anybody on here that isn't shunned by the community is that blatantly rude. It must've been the way you worded it.

I asked this question before episode 2 came out and got called a TFTBL fanboy who hates GoT (despite me preferring GoT). The simple answer is that they're two completely different development teams, and they evidently work at different speeds.

• "Why do you want immortality?"

"Because I want an actual chance at playing episode 3 but people won't stop bitching."

Jewfreeus posted: »

cause people keep bitching, whenever telltale see someone complain they delay the episode by one month

Sign in to comment in this discussion.