Questions to TellTale game veterans from a Borderlands player

Hi :) !

Tales from the Borderlands is the first TellTale game I've played. And the reason I played it is because I regularly play Borderlands 2 and Borderlands The Pre Sequel, and less regularly Borderlands 1.

You'll see from where I'm coming from with this :

I first started playing Borderlands 2 and didn't have so much interest in Borderlands 1, then I played all of Borderlands 2 DLCs, then when TPS came out I got it and played it, and my main character there was Athena. After finishing the first playthrough in TPS I learned that Athena was also showcased in Borderlands 1, in one of the DLCs. So well, since I liked that character a lot, I had then to play BL1 and the specific DLC (well I got them all DLCs for BL1 as well though) to know more about her backstory. Not a real spoiler per se, but then I played a second playthrough in TPS (there are 3 : Normal, Hard and Ultimate) and there yet again learned more about her as well...

Because well, for those of you who only play the TellTale games and not necessarily the games that are tied, there are in the Borderlands franchise a lot of "lore", not only through dialogues, but also through recordings (aka technical books, so to speak).

And so on and so forth.

Later on, seeing that TFTB also had ties with famous characters of the Borderlands franchise I reluctantly (kind of) bought TFTB...

He he...

Well of course, as many of you surely have guessed : I'm now hooked. ;) Not only because Athena is strongly showcased but also because well, to put it simply : it's excellent.

So now, I'm at the point where I'm thinking "Hey those kind of games are really good, much better than I expected, why not play some others ?".
BUT I'm not going to play a TellTale game without having back story from a game or whatnot : no offense to those that never played Borderlands but you're missing a LOT of the enjoyement of everything you come accross, that have no special meaning for you but can have a LOT for us Borderlands players....

So the thing is, and again : contrarily to some of you that only play TellTales games and not the original games, how do I know which relates to what ?

Well the answer for Games of Thrones is easy, it's the books and the TV show ? There's a Minecraft one : Well I played Minecraft a little when it first came out, was still in Beta, but haven't played since, do I need to play it more now or can I enjoy the Telltale version without playing it again ?

Now The Walking dead ? Is it a game ? a TV show, a movie ?

Same for Wolf Among us ?

Thanks in advance :) !

Comments

• I'll leave the TWD answer to those who know it for sure, but TWAU is a pre-quel to the comic series called "Fables". TWAU events happen 20 years before the comics, and I cannot recommend this game enough. It's an amazing experience you have to try. A solid 10/10, despite all the plot changes that happened while in development :)

• The Walking Dead is a zombie story, it's based in the same universe as The Walking Dead comics. The two stories hardly interact so you could play the game and still know everything going on.

• Cool thanks, so it's a comic series. I'll try to find out about it. I take it that it's better to read the comics first and then play the game right ? Or could it be the other way around as an exception ?

armis37 posted: »

I'll leave the TWD answer to those who know it for sure, but TWAU is a pre-quel to the comic series called "Fables". TWAU events happen 20 y

• It's ok to play the game first, since it's a prequel. I highly recommend both the game, and once you're done with it the comics.

Shoogli posted: »

Cool thanks, so it's a comic series. I'll try to find out about it. I take it that it's better to read the comics first and then play the game right ? Or could it be the other way around as an exception ?

• edited June 2015

Telltale Game Veteran... I like that...

I personally love them all...

Twd Season 1 is amazing, full of emotions, character development and that stuff... I dunno if you're familiar with TWD franchise, the game shares the universe with the comic but it has its own original characters and story... Without spoiling too much its about a guy who finds a little girl during the zombie outbreak and raises her when her parents are absent, meeting different characters along the way and finding himself in various situations...

The Wolf Among Us, another awesome game is a prequel story to a comic named Fables with which you may or may not be familiar... Its set in mystical town of Fabletown which is in New York where fairy tale characters deal with real life situations... You play as detective Bigby Wolf aka The Big Bad Wolf and your partner is Snow White...

Game of Thrones is set during the seasons 4 and 5, but it tells a story of a smaller House not seen in the show... you play as members of House Forrester and you interact with some of the show characters...

Minecraft is not out yet...

Hope I shed some light to you :)

• The Walking Dead game occurs in the same universe as the comics, not the show, and coincides with the events in it, but other than a couple of cameos in the first episode of Season 1, the two stories never connect to each other, so you don't need to know about TWD universe to enjoy it. I HIGHLY recommend both seasons of the game, I cannot stress this enough, this is, in my opinion of course, Telltale's best series, and what got me into their games to begin with.

The Wolf Among Us is set 20 years before the events in the Fables comics and takes place in the 1980's, so it is a prequel, and gives some insight to some events in the comics and includes numerous comic characters. Like with all Telltale games, it does not require a knowledge of the universe for you to enjoy it, I'm sure it enhances the experience, but it will not stop you from enjoying it. While my least favorite Telltale series, it's still a great game nonetheless, again, I highly recommend.

Game of Thrones is set in the show universe, and while you are not required to watch the show (I certainly don't), it will spoil some moments of the show, as it starts at the end of Season 3 and continues through Season 4, and has several characters from the show appear throughout. This series has definitely surprised me the most as I am not a huge fan of GOT, but this series has blown me away so far. For the third time, I highly recommend.

I haven't played Telltale's other games before TWD, but what I can tell you is that they don't have the same choice function that their newer games have and they focused primarily on puzzles.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
    edited June 2015

There's a Minecraft one : Well I played Minecraft a little when it first came out, was still in Beta, but haven't played since, do I need to play it more now or can I enjoy the Telltale version without playing it again ?

That one hasn't come out yet (the first episode is set to premiere this year), but I don't imagine you'll need to know too much about Minecraft, all I'd imagine you'd want to know is how the mechanics of the game work since there isn't much of a story in the game and they'll most likely be used for some simple puzzles or used as references.

• Well, i am not THAT old but i was here since JAN 2014.
    TWD is Telltale's best work, or maybe because it was first. In my opinion this is the stuff:

1=TWD S1

2=TWAU

3=TWD S2

4=TFTBL

5=Game Of Thrones

PS: I didn't include Back To The Future and Sam And Max because they are a bit more old and not to everyone's liking. But they are also really fun!

TWD is based on a comic book series, written by Kirkman. But the character Lee and Clem are created by TTG. It is a unique story in a comic book based world. Full of emotions, character development and tense build-ups.

TWAU is basically a detective story in The Fable world, also is based on a comic. It is amazing, and i am avoiding any further spoilers.

GOT is i think the weakest one, but it is based on a story that you watch on TV so they do their best. It is spoiling the show if you didn't watch it and you intend to.

I hope this helped. :)

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited June 2015

So, the easiest way to say it is that Telltale enjoys building upon interesting universes. Where they see potential, they swoop in and make a super-cool story for it.

The Walking Dead, arguably their flagship series, is based upon the comic book series of the same name. However, despite being based upon the comic books, TWD is pretty much it's own self-contained story. There are only a few cameo appearances of comic characters in the first episode, but after that, it is it's own separate story entirely. You don't really need prior experience with the comics to understand whats going on; they fill you in on everything you need to know about the universe.

The Wolf Among Us is based upon a comic series called Fables. However, unlike TWD, this one is tied much more closely to the comic series. The two main characters of the game are two major characters in the comic series. However, Wolf Among Us is actually a prequel to the comic series, so you don't have to worry about spoilers or not understanding what's going on. At most, all you'll miss are a few references to the comic series, but none of them are overly important to the game's story.

Game of Thrones is based upon the TV series that you've no doubt heard about. This one takes place in the same universe, and has many of the TV characters (voiced by the actual actors) showing up and playing various roles. This series arguably requires the most background/understanding of the TV series in order to enjoy it. It's tied in much closer to it's source material then The Wolf Among Us or TWD are. You can still play and enjoy this game without having watched the TV show, but it's highly recommended that you watch the show before jumping on this one.

To sum it up: The Walking Dead is your safest bet to start with. You don't miss out on anything other than some minor cameos, and the rest of the story is completely unique with it's own unique cast of characters. It's also one of Telltale's most applauded series thus far. It'd be a disservice not to play it.

Wolf Among Us is also pretty safe. Again, since it's a prequel, you don't have to worry about much. However, it has a lot more references to comic characters and other world information, so you'll be missing out on more than you would with TWD. None of it fully detracts from the experience, but it could potentially be a deal-breaker for you.

Game of Thrones is the series that requires the most knowledge of the source material, in this case the TV series. Again, you can still play it without having watched the series, but you'll be missing out on more chunks of story and different references, as well as spoilers for some of the major events of the TV show. Given what you're asking, you're probably best off watching the show before you play this series.

• edited June 2015

I'd only reccomend Game of Thrones if you're a fan of the show/books, otherwise you might not get the full experience because even though the game is its own story, it is HEAVILY tied into the main story of the show. It's personally one of my favorites, but yeah.

The Wolf Among Us is my top pick for you. Despite some of its flaws it's an amazing game with an awesome cast of characters and story, and if you end up loving it (chances are you will) you can go on to read Fables, which is my favorite series of comics ever. It's basically an adult take on fairy tale characters living in New York, where you play as the Big Bad Wolf solving a series of murders. It's got this really cool noir feeling to it.

The Walking Dead is great too. It's basically a zombie survivor story but it does hit you with the feels more often than not. And Minecraft hasn't launched yet, it probably will this fall.

• That's the thing though : no matter if it's a prequel or not, sometimes you still prefer to have back story elements to enjoy a TellTale game, at least for me, and in the same order of release.

It's like, you know, watching the Star Wars movies, I don't think you'd enjoy them as much seeing ep I, II, and III before actually seeing IV, V and VI, instead of seeing them in the order they were released.

And as a warning to potential future players of the Borderlands franchise, it really is better to play BL1, then BL2 and only then TPS, even though the events of TPS are set between BL1 and BL2. I'd also go further so as to say that it's even better to only play TFTB after having played BL1, BL2 and TPS.

It's ok to play the game first, since it's a prequel. I highly recommend both the game, and once you're done with it the comics.

• OOOOOOOH ?!?

:O

There is a "Back to the Future" TellTale game ??? Well i didn't know about it since it doesn't seem to have a forum section for it. I only listed in the OP those I saw a forum section for...

Well then, since I saw all 3 movies and loved them I can play that one without needing anything else ?

ata95 posted: »

Well, i am not THAT old but i was here since JAN 2014. TWD is Telltale's best work, or maybe because it was first. In my opinion this is th

• There is 149 issues of the comic currently. If you wanna read all of them first then play the game then be my guest but it's honestly not necessary. Telltale does a great job of immersing you in that world and the whole story without having prior knowledge of the universe.

That's the thing though : no matter if it's a prequel or not, sometimes you still prefer to have back story elements to enjoy a TellTale gam

• Of course! Heads up though older TTG are harder than new ones. Prepare yourself for a very fun challenge!

OOOOOOOH ?!? :O There is a "Back to the Future" TellTale game ??? Well i didn't know about it since it doesn't seem to have a forum se

• edited June 2015

Some previous posts already described premise and the like so doing that again seems pointless. The only thing i can do is recommend you definitely get TWAU. I can't recommend that game enough it's probably my favorite game so far. Playing a detective Big Bad Wolf with Snow White occasionally tagging along to crime scenes and interrogations is pretty badass.

TFTBL, which you own coming in a close second and it's still unfinished, so it'll probably take top rank in my list once it is.

GoT is pretty good, but the story feels like it's barely going anywhere.

TWD is honestly my least favorite. Mostly because I'm not a fan of 'assholes surviving the apocalypse' stories. And I refuse to call it a series about zombies since if you took the zombies out and replaced it with any other disaster the story would change very little.

• To answer your question better, Telltale deliberately made Wolf Among Us friendly to newcomers of the series. You do not have to read/know about the comics and can enjoy the game on its own. The game's story explains the backstory in a simple and accessible way for newcomers to the series.

That's the thing though : no matter if it's a prequel or not, sometimes you still prefer to have back story elements to enjoy a TellTale gam

• edited June 2015

Well yeah, Game of Thrones I hear everyone talk about it, so many spoilers seen already, also knowing that they kill main characters left and right that I don't want to watch the TV show or read the book :/ ! So I'll pass on the related game as well...

Wolf Among Us, I'll play after I read the comics for sure but seeing as it's a serie with like 100 or 150 issues, now I've made some research about it thanks to armis37 it's going to be a while before I play it.

Same for Walking dead it seems :/ !

BUT I just discovered that there are tons more TellTale games since the post by ata95 about Back from the Future !!!
    I only knew about those that have a forum section :o !

I guess I need to edit the OP with all of them, but seeing as these forums are updating so fast I fear I'm going to go nuts trying to understand all this : Oh Lord what have I started :o ?

I'd only reccomend Game of Thrones if you're a fan of the show/books, otherwise you might not get the full experience because even though th

• With the exception of Game of Thrones, Telltale makes it to where people don't have to know the source material and can enjoy the game on its own even if you aren't familiar with the series. Telltale mostly uses original characters, and even when they don't, they make sure to explain the background/other important story elements in a way that new players can understand. Again, Game of Thrones is the only exception I know of from Telltale's newer titles.

• No but seriously, Telltale designed Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead to where you don't need any prior knowledge of the game to enjoy your experience. Play the games first and if you enjoy them, read the comics/watch the show. There's no need to wait for another like 3 months to play the game.

Well yeah, Game of Thrones I hear everyone talk about it, so many spoilers seen already, also knowing that they kill main characters left an

• Telltale makes their stories friendly to newcomers and usually makes their stories self contained and seperate from what happens in the comics. Other people aren't really explaining it well, but again, the stories are self contained while just existing in the same universe. You don't have to read the comics. The Walking Dead uses an entirely original story and The Wolf Among Us is a story that can be enjoyed on its own. There are some background elements for Wolf Among Us that Telltale simplifies and explains in the game for newcomers so you don't have to read the comics at all - the game greatly simplifies and explains all you need to know.

Well yeah, Game of Thrones I hear everyone talk about it, so many spoilers seen already, also knowing that they kill main characters left an

• Yeah but still, I'll enjoy the game more if I have read the comics before ? Because that's what it's about : enjoying the game more.

Like my experience from the Borderlands franchise, I can tell you that the amount of details in TFTB that are remainders of what you see in the franchise is HUGE. From guns they wield, I can tell you the manufacturer's brand, to the creatures you encounter in the dome in ep 3, well to almost everything.

It really magnifies the game an amount you have no idea of if you've not played the franchise.

The Walking Dead is a zombie story, it's based in the same universe as The Walking Dead comics. The two stories hardly interact so you could play the game and still know everything going on.

• Yeah but still, I'll enjoy the game more if I have read the comics before ? Because that's what it's about : enjoying the game more.

No. Both Seasons of Walking Dead focus entirely on an original story seperate from the comics. Two comic characters make extremely minor cameos in the first episode of the first Season, and that's it.

Yeah but still, I'll enjoy the game more if I have read the comics before ? Because that's what it's about : enjoying the game more. Like

• Do yourself a favor and buy The Walking Dead.It's the best game I've ever played and its also very awarded
    Alt text

My favorite telltale games(from best to worst)

1. The Walking Dead:Season One
    2. The Wolf Among Us
    3. The Walking Dead:Season Two
    4. Game Of Thrones
    5. Tales From The Borderlands
  • edited June 2015

Yeah like I was saying to answer another post of yours below :/ : going to be a while indeed...

But you know, you're right in the fact TellTale does a great job at "immersing you in that world and the whole story without having prior knowledge of the universe" but then, at the same time, for someone like me who has played all the Borderlands franchise I can also understand the amount of things I get a chuckle at, or things I understand, choices I make, so many characters we meet in TFTB that are BIG in the franchise, that I know the experience is so vastly different between someone who have played the franchise game and someone who hasn't.

I mean it's billboards, creatures, weapons, reactions, habits, bounty posters, vehicles, allegiances, well too many things to list anyway...

There is 149 issues of the comic currently. If you wanna read all of them first then play the game then be my guest but it's honestly not ne

• Like Blind said, they're two entirely different stories set in the same universe. The only special details for comic readers is 3 temporary comic characters in episode 1.

Yeah but still, I'll enjoy the game more if I have read the comics before ? Because that's what it's about : enjoying the game more. Like

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited June 2015

Game of Thrones definitely isn't beginner friendly for most and Tales does have a lot of references to the greater Borderlands universe as you said, but Tales and Game of Thrones try to incorperate themselves more into the universe. Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead are vastly more self contained then Tales from the Borderlands or Game of Thrones, and have much less references to the universe/characters that you use out on. Other people aren't explaining it well. Yeah, Tales is beginner friendly while still having references to the other games, but Walking Dead is entirely self contained outside of two extremely minor character cameos in the first episode. Wolf Among Us has you playing as an established character, but you interact with original characters for the story and unlike Borderlands doesn't make references that you'd only enjoy from reading the comics.

Wolf and Dead aren't like Borderlands where they throw series references and major/notable character cameos that's completely go over your head if you haven't checked out the source material.

Yeah like I was saying to answer another post of yours below : going to be a while indeed... But you know, you're right in the fact Tell

• I'm not a Telltale game veteran considering I haven't played their older games but I'll try to help you out with what I know about the newer ones ^-^

So the games that require basically no backstory and you can just jump into and enjoy are both of TWD seasons, The Wolf Among Us, and I'm guessing Minecraft will be the same. The one that does require backstory (watching the show) is Game of Thrones, though keep in mind you don't HAVE to, I played it without knowing anything about Game of Thrones and I loved the first episode, yet that isn't the case for many.

I think all of their newer games are awesome (again can't speak for the older ones, since I haven't played them) and you should give them all a try at some point, you never know, it might be something you could really get into, I was never into TWD or GoT then I played the games and I ended up getting hooked on the TV shows for both :p

• edited June 2015

Yeah I can understand that but as I've described above, ha ha twice already, half the fun for me is the ties, the easter eggs, all the previous knowledge. See a couple of my answers above to Shubbalubbadingdong and GoldenPaladin.

How to put it ?

Well, with the knowledge I have now, as someone who played TFTB ep 1, 2 and 3, AFTER having played BL1, BL2 and TPS : there is no way I play any of the TellTale games without having knowledge from the world/lore beforehand. It's so clear to me now that I've played those in this order.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not here to have people who haven't played the Borderlands franchise go play it, this thread is not about it : their loss unfortunately...

It just is, now I have the knowledge of how good it is I just really want to make sure I'll have the same experience playing other TellTale games. Not saying people who haven't played the original games didn't have fun only playing TFTB, only that my experience was doubled so to speak ;) !

It will take longer for me though, I recon.

With the exception of Game of Thrones, Telltale makes it to where people don't have to know the source material and can enjoy the game on it

• You're welcome :)

• edited June 2015

Hi, If you want to see all the games that Telltale has to offer there is a handy dandy show all games button at the very end of the community page, or you can go the easy route and just hit games to see all the games they've made. :)

OOOOOOOH ?!? :O There is a "Back to the Future" TellTale game ??? Well i didn't know about it since it doesn't seem to have a forum se

• edited June 2015

I'm just gonna say this up front. I started reading the comics after I finished the game and I'm very glad I did. The comic kinda spoils some things from the game involving some characters that can take away some of the suspense that's featured in the game since the game is a prequel and all, so its with best interest that I highly recommend going in blind this one time.

Yeah I can understand that but as I've described above, ha ha twice already, half the fun for me is the ties, the easter eggs, all the previ

• Ha cool thanks good to know :) !

Eeeerrr wait, which series of comics I should on the contrary read after playing a game : Walking dead or Wolf Among us ?

I'm just gonna say this up front. I started reading the comics after I finished the game and I'm very glad I did. The comic kinda spoils som

• Well thanks, I had never seen this button, and well :

Oh dear oh dear, what have I stepped into :O ???

Hi, If you want to see all the games that Telltale has to offer there is a handy dandy show all games button at the very end of the community page, or you can go the easy route and just hit games to see all the games they've made.

• Oh ok then :) ! And also someone else said there is one of those 2 relying on comics that on the contrary should actually be played before to then enjoy, and not be spoiled by the related comics. So it seems I'll be playing those.

Game of Thrones definitely isn't beginner friendly for most and Tales does have a lot of references to the greater Borderlands universe as y

• edited June 2015

The Wolf Among Us is the prequel to the "Fables" series so I would start there after playing the game, and you can read The Walking Dead comics whenever you want, its not required since the game has almost nothing to do with it.

Ha cool thanks good to know ! Eeeerrr wait, which series of comics I should on the contrary read after playing a game : Walking dead or Wolf Among us ?

• I started with Telltale's The Walking Dead, then started the TV show, then read the comics. So I went completely the wrong way. :-) With TWAU I started with the game again then read the comics. Nothing was spoiled. Game Of Thrones is definitely not for n00bs though.

• Neat thanks :) !

Now I understand about a prequel, in this particular instance, that can be played before reading the comics BUT I'd like to stress it enough that as far as the Borderlands franchise is concerned, it's like Star Wars : you better see the prequels after :) !

So for those interrested to know more about Borderlands do play in the order they were released : BL1, BL2 and then TPS (this one being a prequel "of sort").

The Wolf Among Us is the prequel to the "Fables" series so I would start there after playing the game, and you can read The Walking Dead comics whenever you want, its not required since the game has almost nothing to do with it.

• edited June 2015

GoT - books
    ,TWAU - comicbook
    ,TWD - comicbook

• Oh yeah,dont get me wrong people.I LOVE tales from the borderlands but I ranked GOT and TFTB lower because they are not completed yet.GoT has one more episode at the moment so it has revealed more story :P

Tolispro posted: »

Do yourself a favor and buy The Walking Dead.It's the best game I've ever played and its also very awarded My favorite telltale games(f

• All of TTG's games are designed to be able to stand alone, unless they're sub-titled Season ____. Then it's presumed that you played all previous seasons. For instance, The Walking Dead Season 2 assumes you played or at least knew about Season 1. All licensed TTG properties are definitely enhanced by knowing the source material, like knowing Athena's backstory and whatnot, but you really don't need to know anything about the base properties. The one which requires the most knowledge is the Game of Thrones game. That'd be kinda rough if you didn't know ANYTHING about Game of Thrones. Other than that, go wild. Play whatever you wanna play.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.