Where's the outrage over the ********?

Where's the outrage over the result of the shootout in the beginning of Episode 3? When The Walking Dead Season 2 had a shootout where everyone lived, everyone went ballistic over how it was unrealistic and couldn't believe how everyone lived. This episode, absolutely nothing, no outrage, no complaining, no shitting on the episode or the writers, nothing.

The Walking Dead:

Alt text

Situation: Completely surrounded with bad guys pointing guns at our heads, threatening to kill us, episode ends on a cliffhanger that leaves us wondering and speculating whether our choices could either kill someone or save someone

Result: Despite the odds, everyone on our side miraculously lives, relatively unscathed, while almost all of the bad guys from the group that attacked us are left dead and simply became red shirts.

Tales From the Borderlands:

Alt text

Situation: Completely surrounded with bad guys pointing guns at our heads, threatening to kill us, episode ends on a cliffhanger that leaves us wondering and speculating whether our choices could either kill someone or save someone

Result: Despite the odds, everyone on our side miraculously lives, relatively unscathed, while almost all of the bad guys from the group that attacked us are left dead and simply became red shirts.

When I played this episode, I half expected someone to bring this up, but so far nothing, it just seems kind of hypocritical to me. Don't get me wrong, this episode was fantastic, it's one of my favorite Telltale episodes, but I can't help but notice the almost mirrored situation and result with a completely different reaction from the fanbase.

Comments

• Well, Vaughn can get rekt, Vasquez can get his arm shot off, theres alot of running around. I mean, its not like walking dead when everyone teleported and swapped guns.

• The difference being this is more of a comedic series, unrealistic situations happen all of the time in Borderlands. Athena's shield hitting someone would easily bruise those she hit, alas Mordecai and Vallory shrug off the hits. The Walking Dead invests you over the lives of the characters in the stories and whether they'll die or not. Tales from the Borderlands is different in that it uses more hilarity to carry its story.

• Technically the swapping guns wasn't a writing error, but whoever handles the character models. When the script was written, it was meant to be Buricko with the AK shooting at Kenny and Vitali shooting the shotgun, as all of Vitali's lines were written for Buricko as someone pointed out in the Details People Forget thread for TWD. However, someone switched up Buricko and Vitali by mistake, but it wasn't the writers who did that. And also, I did say "relatively unscathed," which was meant towards both Luke getting shot and Vaughn's determinant and temporary paralysis. And when can Vasquez get his arm shot off, I've never seen that, but does it really matter as he dies like 3 minutes later anyway.

Poogers555 posted: »

Well, Vaughn can get rekt, Vasquez can get his arm shot off, theres alot of running around. I mean, its not like walking dead when everyone teleported and swapped guns.

• If you trust Jack, when you bust through the window you can shoot Vasquez or August, shooting August doesnt really do anything, shooting Vasquez gets his arm shot off. Which is weird, because he doesnt seem to care :P

Technically the swapping guns wasn't a writing error, but whoever handles the character models. When the script was written, it was meant to

• It being a comedy does not excuse it from being unrealistic, especially when the situation is meant to be a very serious one. It still has to have a certain level of realness to it, it being a comedy doesn't mean the writers can do whatever they want.

NamelessAce posted: »

The difference being this is more of a comedic series, unrealistic situations happen all of the time in Borderlands. Athena's shield hitting

• edited June 2015

Have you not played the main Borderlands games...? They can quite literally get away with it. The premise on which a Vault Hunter can do whatever they want is that "they can, because they are Vault Hunters."

It being a comedy does not excuse it from being unrealistic, especially when the situation is meant to be a very serious one. It still has t

• I had an army of drones at my command, so the two-bit mercs with cheap guns didn't particularly stand a chance against me and got rekt, as they realistically would have with an army of drones commanded by a psychopathic AI tyrant commanding them.

• As a matter of fact, I have played Borderlands 2, I just finished last week. So answer me this, how come Roland can get shot with thousands of bullets in Borderlands 1, as he is one of the playable characters, but Handsome Jack gets one shot at him, and kills him? Why isn't he wearing a shield, why doesn't he respawn, because it's meant to be a very serious and real moment, even though it's a comedy game.

NamelessAce posted: »

Have you not played the main Borderlands games...? They can quite literally get away with it. The premise on which a Vault Hunter can do whatever they want is that "they can, because they are Vault Hunters."

• But what about for those who trusted Fiona, and not only had August's goons, but also the robots, shooting at us?

Rock114 posted: »

I had an army of drones at my command, so the two-bit mercs with cheap guns didn't particularly stand a chance against me and got rekt, as they realistically would have with an army of drones commanded by a psychopathic AI tyrant commanding them.

• Well, we also dont see what happens if we trusted Fiona. we just hear guns shots

But what about for those who trusted Fiona, and not only had August's goons, but also the robots, shooting at us?

• Shit if I know, it's Borderlands. I try not to think on it too hard, because plenty of things won't make sense.

As a matter of fact, I have played Borderlands 2, I just finished last week. So answer me this, how come Roland can get shot with thousands

• edited June 2015

There's actually a great deal of plot holes in that mission.

• Why do the Vault Hunters need to destroy the Bunker in order to open a door?
    • Why didn't the Slab buzzards just fly around the death wall?
    • How come Roland was able to climb up the side of the mountain, unharmed, all the way to Control Core Angel?

The most easiest response I can say to your questions is:

1. New-U is confirmed to be not canon. You die in the Borderlands universe then you die for good. No respawns.
    2. Maybe, with his turret, he was overconfident enough to expect to be okay? I mean, the player can pick up and equip shields in BL1, and Zed does specifically state that he was shot quite a few times by Nine Toes's men as well.
    3. The shot was in his sternum, more specifically the body of the bone structure of the chest cavity. It is highly possible that bone fractures of the shot managed to lodge themselves in his heart, leading him to bleed out. It's highly unlikely that the death was instant.

As a matter of fact, I have played Borderlands 2, I just finished last week. So answer me this, how come Roland can get shot with thousands

• Roland never seemed to be the type of guy that was overconfident, I thought he was very meticulous and cautious for the most part. I'll give you the respawn though, I actually didn't know that.

Syberian posted: »

There's actually a great deal of plot holes in that mission. * Why do the Vault Hunters need to destroy the Bunker in order to open a d

• edited June 2015

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Roland never seemed to be the type of guy that was overconfident, I thought he was very meticulous and cautious for the most part. I'll give you the respawn though, I actually didn't know that.

• Because in Borderlands 1, canonly, your character doesnt die. Never. New-U's are not canon, they are just for gameplay.

• Like I said, it just seems kind of hypocritical to me when the situations share many similarities but get completely different fan responses. I don't want to make a big deal out of it, like I said, I loved this episode, but it just bothers me for some reason, I know it shouldn't, but it just does.

Why care?

• They're two different games and two different scenarios...Therefore they'll get two different fan reactions. There is very little people are complaining about, so why bring this up? It doesn't matter and even if it did, the two scenarios are different like I said. There's a big difference between being close to each other with weapons drawn everywhere at everyone in the middle of winter with everyone close to death...and then being in a facility which you can control or escape that has robotic security prepared to shoot everyone while two people are held hostage. It's obvious in both situations that a lot of people die and a lot of stuff happens. I can go into detail how it's simple how our crew survived the encounter if you want.

Like I said, it just seems kind of hypocritical to me when the situations share many similarities but get completely different fan responses

• The robots were shooting at everyone in Fiona's version, mercs included, so it's pretty much the same just with a few more bullets flying toward our group.

But what about for those who trusted Fiona, and not only had August's goons, but also the robots, shooting at us?

• Yeah it was really weird that assquez was so ok even though his arm was just ripped off.

Poogers555 posted: »

If you trust Jack, when you bust through the window you can shoot Vasquez or August, shooting August doesnt really do anything, shooting Vasquez gets his arm shot off. Which is weird, because he doesnt seem to care :P

• 1- You shouldn't expect realistic outcomes in a Borderlands game.

2- I wanted consequences too, but after blowing Vasquez's arm clean off, I felt like the scene didn't have to get much darker.

• Hey, Sybs, is that you?

¯_(ツ)_/¯

• Gary-OakGary-Oak Banned
    edited June 2015

-Expecting realism in a borderlands game.

Kek.

• edited June 2015

The entire control core situation is a hot mess. There's no reason he could one shot roland. There's also no way jack would be alive for more than 5 seconds with seven, count 'em, SEVEN vault hunters in the room.

Which one of them is going to let jack have his cute monologue?

There's actually a great deal of plot holes in that mission. * Why do the Vault Hunters need to destroy the Bunker in order to open a d

• Also

-Expects logical reason as to why people hate on TWD S2.

Kek.

Gary-Oak posted: »

-Expecting realism in a borderlands game. Kek.

• I would give you a logical reason but I'd rather not have a debate about it on a completely unrelated forum. <3

Green613 posted: »

Also -Expects logical reason as to why people hate on TWD S2. Kek.

• This is a series where people literally eat thousands of bullets and are fine. If anything, it's a bit off how easily characters die in Telltale's version. The Walking Dead is supposed to be more grounded in reality, which is why everyone rolled their eyes with how that specific cliffhanger was handled.

• It ain't unrelated, the thread is about TWD S2.

But if you insist Gary, I'd body you in a argument anyway ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ

Gary-Oak posted: »

I would give you a logical reason but I'd rather not have a debate about it on a completely unrelated forum.

• Thank god, I thought I was the only one who thought that was weird. Not only should he be worried about the blood loss, he should also be in so much pain to be on the verge of tears constantly until he either passes out from shock or blood loss. No one can shrug off the loss of a limb like that!

nohuhhuh posted: »

Yeah it was really weird that assquez was so ok even though his arm was just ripped off.

• Exactly! I don't know why they did that. I would have liked to hear Vasquez to scream his lungs out. (not creepy at all)

Thank god, I thought I was the only one who thought that was weird. Not only should he be worried about the blood loss, he should also be in

• Maybe because those games are different? How about that? I dislike GOT (both the show and the game) and don't really liked TWD after the first season, and I don't understand why anyone would want Tales to become one of those games where everyone dies just for the effect it has on the players. It doesn't have to be the same for all the games they're creating just because it's TellTale. Borderlands wasn't hyper-realistic from the beginning of the franchise, it was never about "super-tough" decisions and beloved characters dying left and right in some stupid and/or truly horrible ways. It's only fair that the Tales inherited the same approach as the original Borderlands.

There's also the fact that they wanted to show us what Vallory's like. Just imagine what it would've been if someone (or everyone) of our friends AND Vasquez died (and really, he just had to go one way or another). Simply too much deaths for a game like this, for a single episode.

• Poor Vaughn became a ball of cramp. Does that count? But I can see where you're coming from, the moment I saw Fiona and Rhys climbing down that magically appeared ladder I instantly thought about the shootout and how pissed people were xD

• I wondered this aswell

• This is Sybs.

LawmanZero posted: »

Hey, Sybs, is that you?

• YOUR FANFICTION PM HEADCANON BUDDY IS HERE

This is Sybs.

• What's up.

YOUR FANFICTION PM HEADCANON BUDDY IS HERE

• I have discovered that Phaselocking loot midgets, EXP loaders, bosses and Badass loaders is very satisfying.
    • The gang could be heading to Elpis to find the next piece.
    • Mordy seems to be using an upgraded Unforgiven, and for some reason he got his Trespasser back.
    • Zero and Athena really need to meet and be the best BFFs ever.

What's up.

• Agreed on all points, yes.

Especially the last one.

* I have discovered that Phaselocking loot midgets, EXP loaders, bosses and Badass loaders is very satisfying. * The gang could be heading

• Asskicking BFFs. Like, in come two assassins to save the day.

Also, WE ARE GOING TO SEE ELPIS 3 YEARS AFTER TPS, THIS MAKES ME EXCITED.

VERY VERY EXCITED.

Agreed on all points, yes. Especially the last one.

• Pretty sure it goes with the idea that the character is never actually shot. Like in shooters like Call of Duty for example, characters eat bullets all the time. But they are never actually canonically shot until the plot demands it.

Also considering that the franchise has stuff like giant monster aliens, no fall damage, people that are built and are the size of brick houses and talking robots that seem to know every meme on the planet. I think we can forgive them on the realism part.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.