So...Athena

At the end of episode 3 Athena was in a bit of a bind. Will our intrepid vault gang help her, or is she deader than Vasquez?

Comments

• She's alive, but also kind of tied up.

Literally.

I don't think we'll be seeing her in episode 4.

• If you'd like to know more, I made an Athena timeline fan-pic at Gearbox forums, but it spoils tons of things about BL1, BL2 and TPS, so only watch it if you're positively 200% sure you'll never play those games. It does also explain what happens at the end of the firing-squad sequence shown in the video Courtenay linked right above :

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/athena-the-timeline-warning-spoilers-when-you-expand-the-image/425842

• It would be very interesting if the group show up after the final scene of the Presequel, that's what I'm hoping for

Courtenay posted: »

She's alive, but also kind of tied up. Literally. I don't think we'll be seeing her in episode 4.

• You mean like the story ends up with a war-room meeting in Sanctuary because the Gortys-project is tied to the "war is coming" quote by the watcher ? Like with everyone around, all the VHs plus Rhys and Fiona, Shasha and Vaughn ? Because in fact the events in TFTB unleash all the vaults accross the universe and what's inside and thus it would link to the Watcher saying his famous quote ?

Someguy12 posted: »

It would be very interesting if the group show up after the final scene of the Presequel, that's what I'm hoping for

• Good thing I played TPS and I know she is okay or I would super pissed at Brick and Mordecai.
    I don't think we'll see her again in Tales- (Or maybe in some post-ending scene? Depending on how the game ends)

• Well in the TPS ending story we see Brick and Mordecai much more beat up, wounded and such than they appear at the end of ep 3 so that had me thinking that maybe there would be additional scenes in ep 4 or 5 with Athena resisting, getting away then being captured again.

But on the other hand, it would "eat" the time left in ep 4 and/or 5 that could be used for additional events, meeting more characters of the franchise, etc...

So in the end I think that the loop has been closed as far as the events that are about Athena between TPS and TFTB. But hey who knows :) ?

Serazone posted: »

Good thing I played TPS and I know she is okay or I would super pissed at Brick and Mordecai. I don't think we'll see her again in Tales- (Or maybe in some post-ending scene? Depending on how the game ends)

• My pc died last year...thinking about pulling the trigger on a new one...can I get these boarder land games on steam?

• Do you really think that the Vault in Tales will trigger that though? It just seems that since a lot of Borderlands fans won't play Tales, they might get a bit confused in BL3 (unless the devs find a way to explain it)

• I'm pretty sure we're done with Athena as far as Tales is concerned. Since it's Brick and Mordecai carrying her off and recalling the end of, The Pre-Sequel, I'd say her part in this story is finished. Wish she hadn't left so soon if so but at least she's set Fiona on the right path!

• edited July 2015

Yes all the games are on Steam, and at the moment the whole franchise is very cheap through HumbleBundle and those are steam codes.

Look at the video here.

My pc died last year...thinking about pulling the trigger on a new one...can I get these boarder land games on steam?

• Dunnow, would be cool though :D !

Do you really think that the Vault in Tales will trigger that though? It just seems that since a lot of Borderlands fans won't play Tales, they might get a bit confused in BL3 (unless the devs find a way to explain it)

• they will explain it with marcus, like they did in borderlands 2. he tells you what happened in borderlands 1 and what you need to know

Do you really think that the Vault in Tales will trigger that though? It just seems that since a lot of Borderlands fans won't play Tales, they might get a bit confused in BL3 (unless the devs find a way to explain it)

• I know, I've played the original games.

clap-tp posted: »

they will explain it with marcus, like they did in borderlands 2. he tells you what happened in borderlands 1 and what you need to know

• B...b...but she's duty-bound...

She didn't teach them everything they needed to know yet...

She promised Felix she'd take care of them... :(

(and by all that I mean that my headcanon is that once the whole hullabaloo with Lilith and The Watcher was over Athena went back and found Fiona and Sasha and taught them to be the best damn Vault Hunters they could be!)

I'm pretty sure we're done with Athena as far as Tales is concerned. Since it's Brick and Mordecai carrying her off and recalling the end of

• you asked how they will explain it

I know, I've played the original games.

• lol Believe me, I want her to come back too, I really want us to be in a bad spot with guns pointed at our heads, Vallory laughing manically, and Rhys crying and rocking on the floor and then Athena's shield does it's Captain America trick and we're all saved yay! But that's only happening in my fan fiction lol

But she did at least light that adventurous fire in Fiona's heart and with a box of bullets in hand, she did an alright job.

Side Note - You lucked out with that username, nice job!

B...b...but she's duty-bound... She didn't teach them everything they needed to know yet... She promised Felix she'd take care of them

• It's hilarious, really.

Athena, the least horrible person in the TPS entourage (except maybe Timothy) is taken prisoner by Brick and Mordecai because of her fleeting involvement with Jack's rise to power.

Meanwhile, a near perfect duplicate of the man himself not only escapes their notice, but is getting a free ride back to Helios courtesy of the Vallory Express.

• Yeah something like that, because these characters just seem like a natural fit for the Borderlands universe. Also, with the final quote of "You're going to need all the Vault Hunters you can get", it would be foolish to disqualify this group. They will be needed

• I totally agree.

Someguy12 posted: »

Yeah something like that, because these characters just seem like a natural fit for the Borderlands universe. Also, with the final quote of

• edited July 2015
    fleeting involvement

accessory to genocide is hardly "fleeting" tbh

The-Qing posted: »

It's hilarious, really. Athena, the least horrible person in the TPS entourage (except maybe Timothy) is taken prisoner by Brick and Mord

• edited July 2015

That is quite impossible becuase they would need to use 20 - 30 minutes long cutscene to sum everything that happened in the Tales.

you asked how they will explain it

• clap-tpclap-tp Banned
    edited July 2015

it wont get down to details, borderlands 1 story was barely explained. it will tell what you need to know like: "the vault of the traveler was opened by 2 idiots who didnt knew what they were doing, portals has opened all over the universe to pandora, now heres a portal from black mesa and zombies comes through it, kill them or something"

That is quite impossible becuase they would need to use 20 - 30 minutes long cutscene to sum everything that happened in the Tales.

• Besides not everything needs to be told and/or explained during an opening cinematic. There are pieces that will be scattered through "echos" (lore objects), some within NPC conversations or quests, etc...

it wont get down to details, borderlands 1 story was barely explained. it will tell what you need to know like: "the vault of the traveler w

• Athena was only involved with Jack in preventing a genocide, Aaira.

And it's, in fact, hilarious they've missed Jack Reborn.

Aaira posted: »

fleeting involvement accessory to genocide is hardly "fleeting" tbh

• Well if Fiona meets with them in Sanctuary in BL3 to become a VH then Athena will have all the time she needs to finish the "mission" ;) !

B...b...but she's duty-bound... She didn't teach them everything they needed to know yet... She promised Felix she'd take care of them

• I like the way you think

Shoogli posted: »

Well if Fiona meets with them in Sanctuary in BL3 to become a VH then Athena will have all the time she needs to finish the "mission" !

• edited July 2015

Spoilers, Let's not forget the ending cutscene either. Just thought I'd leave this here for anyone who maybe only played tftb and not BL2 or BPS. Start at exactly 15 minutes and 36 seconds. Also keep in mind that the scene with Lilith is a flash forward in time to the point after borderlands 2 where tftb is about to intersect. Borderlands the pre sequel happened before Jack's rise to power, and Borderlands 2 is where Jack is reigning, then dies as you know because of tftb.

https://youtu.be/6xR5fBWvgI0?t=15m36s

Courtenay posted: »

She's alive, but also kind of tied up. Literally. I don't think we'll be seeing her in episode 4.

• I feel that the difference is just a result of diffrent group of people working on the animations. Brick is limping in TPS and that is the only i only visible injury we are shown in TFTB aside from various bruise-inducing blows that they would really only feel later (Mordecai's 'ow'). With this in mind, i'm thinking that episode 4 takes place during/soon after the first time Athena tells the story of TPS :)

Well in the TPS ending story we see Brick and Mordecai much more beat up, wounded and such than they appear at the end of ep 3 so that had m

• Please point out at what point in TPS is Athena involved in genocide in any capacity other than PREVENTING one, seeing as she stopped taking contracts from him after Claptastic Voyage which happened way before the events of BL2? And no, claptraps don't count.

fleeting involvement accessory to genocide is hardly "fleeting" tbh

• I feel that the difference is just a result of diffrent group of people working on the animations.

Oh that's right, I didn't think about that.

I feel that the difference is just a result of diffrent group of people working on the animations. Brick is limping in TPS and that is the o

• I thought there was an inconsistency because of Athena in tps was not tied up in tftb at least episode 3 clarified how it happened

• edited July 2015

i find this post highly claptraphobic

and honestly she's as much accessory to that as random people driving trains in 1940's germany were accessory to the increase in fine dust in the atmospehere, i mean sure, she probably has loans and shit (Janey sucks at money iirc) but it was Jack fucking Handsome, the guy who went insane when some girl punched some crazy alien tech on fire on his face, the guy who threw allies out air vents and played with huge death lasers before even going insane, the guy who now owned a massive evil corporation and wanted to get more power by all means necessary and also hated claptrap, WHAT DID SHE THINK WAS GONNA HAPPEN?

i mean i love Athena as much as the next person, but by god is she an idiot some times.

Please point out at what point in TPS is Athena involved in genocide in any capacity other than PREVENTING one, seeing as she stopped taking

• I think that Rhys and Sasha and Gortys will go to Helios, while Fiona searches for Athena (and Vaughn), or at the very least goes to tell Springs what went down. Probably Loaderbot will go with Fiona too because Hyperion wants to dismantle him.

• edited July 2015

First they would have to escape Vallory and her thugs.

Arya_Stupid posted: »

I think that Rhys and Sasha and Gortys will go to Helios, while Fiona searches for Athena (and Vaughn), or at the very least goes to tell Springs what went down. Probably Loaderbot will go with Fiona too because Hyperion wants to dismantle him.

• Did you play claptastic as Athena ? If so have you paid attention to all her lines during it ?

i find this post highly claptraphobic and honestly she's as much accessory to that as random people driving trains in 1940's germany were

• Sure. I just don't see Vallory being trailed around Helios by 3 robots and 4-7 people, while searching for something they want to steal from Hyperion on the down low. That seems ridiculous to me.

I am of the opinion that she will send the Hyperion lackey she has in her posession (rhys) to Helios with maybe 1 or 2 others (sasha, august) and Gortys (cause she can find the upgrade) and keep the rest on Pandora as hostages for their return.

How Fiona gets away from Vallory? Not sure yet, but i'm positive she can manage, hell, maybe Vaughn comes and saves her ass?

Reliqum posted: »

First they would have to escape Vallory and her thugs.

• edited July 2015

yes Athena was my main class (the others were kinda boring tbh, i finished the main game with Nisha first but i pretty much forced myself to go trough the last half), what did i forget? i remember her going "ok Jack but this is the last time i help thee" every other quest and mentioning she really needed the money but that's it.

Did you play claptastic as Athena ? If so have you paid attention to all her lines during it ?

• edited July 2015

Well then no doubt you remember how Athena reacts at the very end of Claptastic, in the last cinematic.

That said it seems you've missed the most important line at the end of the subconscious zone, well right before fighting Shadow-TP...

yes Athena was my main class (the others were kinda boring tbh, i finished the main game with Nisha first but i pretty much forced myself to

• she goes "wtf dude not cool", which brings me back to my previous statement: WHAT DID SHE THINK WAS GONNA COME OUT OF HELPING MR. FASCISM? flowers and rainbows?

and how am i supposed to know which is the most important line? is it when claptrap made shadow the hedgehog think he was going to help him but then pulled back because power of friendship?

Well then no doubt you remember how Athena reacts at the very end of Claptastic, in the last cinematic. That said it seems you've missed the most important line at the end of the subconscious zone, well right before fighting Shadow-TP...

• Never mind... It doesn't seem you're someone I can have a discussion with.

Enjoy your certitude.

she goes "wtf dude not cool", which brings me back to my previous statement: WHAT DID SHE THINK WAS GONNA COME OUT OF HELPING MR. FASCISM? f

Sign in to comment in this discussion.