The Hunger Games: The First Quarter Quell [BEING STARTED OVER]

Comments

• O_O Okay.. The hype is honestly so real rn

Prologue: The Events of Tomorrow Theoram Warrik Every street in this wonderful city was painted white like marble. Every tree bore the

• What did you choose?

TWD_stan posted: »

O_O Okay.. The hype is honestly so real rn

• this is going to be so good.

Prologue: The Events of Tomorrow Theoram Warrik Every street in this wonderful city was painted white like marble. Every tree bore the

• What did you choose?

mr.quality posted: »

this is going to be so good.

• Just so you guys know, with Roman's character, I'm shooting for Peter Dinklage. :P

• Ok, I think I'm gonna like this... a lot :)

I'm assuming the prologue will cover all POV's? Theo's looking a good character already!

• Mountains. Reminds me of home. :)

What did you choose?

• Fair enough haha

mr.quality posted: »

Mountains. Reminds me of home.

• The prologue is just Theo. There's one protagonist per chapter

Ok, I think I'm gonna like this... a lot I'm assuming the prologue will cover all POV's? Theo's looking a good character already!

• Just. In. Time.

• The jungle biome because it opens more opportunities for tributes I guess :3

What did you choose?

• This was a great Prologue! Your writing is awesome and I really enjoyed these two characters. As expected, Theo is an interesting guy and Roman is priceless. He's like a Gamemaker Tyrion Lannister :D

• Thanks haha.

This was a great Prologue! Your writing is awesome and I really enjoyed these two characters. As expected, Theo is an interesting guy and Roman is priceless. He's like a Gamemaker Tyrion Lannister

• Will you be posting parts daily? :o

• I will try, but I can't guarantee anything.

Will you be posting parts daily?

• Awesome prologue! I'm so hyped for these games already :P

• Sweet! What did you choose?

janitor posted: »

Awesome prologue! I'm so hyped for these games already :P

• I chose the jungle. That setting could give the most opportunities for a stealthy approach, which Roman seems to prefer.

Sweet! What did you choose?

• I voted for city. in the pool.

THIS IS GOING AWESOME.

• So I've made three placeholder characters, Lara, Ell and Rosy. If anyone else wants to make a character in place of one of them, they are free too, but if no one does by the time they enter the story, they'll lock in.

• edited July 2015

i'm so excited to see what kind of twist the quarter quell has in store for the tributes but it's gonna be so sad again once the tributes die because i know i'm gonna get to attached to almost all of them ;-;

• Ah the bittersweet taste of the hunger games...

i'm so excited to see what kind of twist the quarter quell has in store for the tributes but it's gonna be so sad again once the tributes die because i know i'm gonna get to attached to almost all of them ;-;

• Fuck President Snow.

Ah the bittersweet taste of the hunger games...

• I already made a character, so I don't know if I should.

So I've made three placeholder characters, Lara, Ell and Rosy. If anyone else wants to make a character in place of one of them, they are free too, but if no one does by the time they enter the story, they'll lock in.

• Fuck President Snow.

Fuck President Snow.

• I think the people chosen (Not the volunteers) should have a reason to be. Rapers, Pyromaniacs, Killers, Thiefs don´t stop existing just because. They aren´t going to chose someone at random. Imagine having a pyro who killed 10000000000000000000000000 people (exagerration i know), they know who he/she is and they chose a random person who did nothing bad instead with no reason. I would be like WTF if was there XD.

• Do you know when the next part will be up? sorry if i'm annoying by asking haha i'm just really excited and I hope this fanfic doesn't end up like the rest. :c

• Oh no you're fine. It'll probably be up today. I've just been kinda busy with 4th of July and work the past few days. I honestly probably should've waited until now to start it, but I was excited like you haha.

Do you know when the next part will be up? sorry if i'm annoying by asking haha i'm just really excited and I hope this fanfic doesn't end up like the rest. :c

• edited August 2016

41% of readers chose to [B. Suggest an jungle setting.]

"I was thinking a jungle would be a good setting." Theo said, scratching his chin. "If you're going for stealth, nothing provides a better blanket of cover than a grove of rainforest trees."

Roman nodded his head. "A jungle, you say? Well, it's a bit overused, but I love the way you're thinking. Something just as suspenseful to the audience as it is eerie to the tribute."

Theo smiled. Roman was a very humble and encouraging man. It made him pleasant to be around. Perhaps that was why they had remained friends for thirty-four years. He was only a few years older than him, and Theo found it amusing that he looked up to such a small man. "So, a jungle it will be?"

"A jungle it would be... If it were last year... Or if it were next year..." He stared down into the auburn tea below him and took a sip, warming himself through the chill of January air. "What makes this year different, Theo?"

He thought for a moment, but realized he hadn't a clue. "I don't know. What is it?"

"This year is the 25th Annual Hunger Games, and to celebrate the roundness of that number, President Snow has told me personally that this year's games are going to be something extraordinary. The best anyone has ever seen."

"And how are we going to accomplish that?"

Roman chuckled. "By making our arena with special sauce... Our own little tang... Congrats, Theo, you are now effectively one of six people in Panem who know about this." He leaned in closer and whispered. "Five if you don't want to get us both arrested."

"They would arrest you for knowing that the Games are going to be special?" Theo raised an eyebrow.

Roman sighed. "Friend, you would be surprised how many things are kept secret in the Capital. I think that's how Snow gets his kicks; by keeping things from other people. It's a very hard thing to work my mind around, being a completely honest man."

They laughed. There were many things that Roman was, but honest was not one of them. It was part of how he rose so high on the corporate ladder. "So... It won't be a jungle?"

Roman sat in a few moments of silence, and after them, he reached into his pocket and grabbed out of it a small silver coin. It was the dollar coin of Panem, completely like any other. He reached into his breast pocket and found a small sewing needle there. He quickly held both items in front of his face, the coin just above the sewing needle in perfect alignment. "Tell me, Theo, which way will the coin fall when it hits the pin?"

"Hm?" He held his hand to his ear and gestured for a clearer articulation of the question.

"When I drop this dollar, will it fall to my left or to my right?" He paused for a moment, showing clear delight in Theo's confusion. "Or perhaps it will fall towards you... or even towards me. Which way?"

"Um... To the left..."

Roman released his grip on the coin, and couldn't believe his own eyes. The coin landed perfectly in the center, letting it sit on the head of the pin as if it were the surface of a table. And it stayed there until Roman let go of them and let both objects fall into his hand. "That was unexpected, was it not?"

"How...?"

"When you are creating that arena, when you call yourself a Gamemaker, you have to think of things in a different light. Look at something, know that someone else would think about it one way, and then think about it a different way yourself."

"I don't..."

"The coin was a magnet and a gyroscope. I bought it at a joke shop, but it proves my point." He continued. "Which is this... Be unexpected, Theo. This world likes that."

"It's interesting advice." Theo told him. "Although, if I'm not wrong, the world likes things normal, and unchanging. It's why they look down on people like us."

"Ah, but do they look down on us?" Roman smiled. "Last time I checked, we were Gamemakers, and they weren't."

Theo pondered the thought for just a moment, but then realized the truth of what his friend for a moment. There weren't many differences between the both of them, but the one big one that existed was that Theo was a pessimist while Roman showed outstanding optimism.

"What has been your favorite arena to date?" He asked. "Which one stuck out to you the most?"

Theo thought for a few moments, but the answer was clear to him. "The one a couple years back with the aired- out marine trench. That one was interesting since wrong move could lead to a fall to death."

"Precisely!" He said, bringing his hands together with his index fingers pointed at the sky. "That one was the best one to date. It had little ocean huts jutting out the side of the cliffsides and monsters that floated through the chasm. But the best part... The best part was that no one knew what the hell they were doing. Who has ever been in an underwater trench before?"

"I see what you're saying now." Theo replied.

"Oh, this arena will be a jungle... of sorts... But that would be a light way of putting it." He looked down into the tea he held in his hand and took the last sip from it. "This year will be so much more than that. This year will be... grand..."

"So what will it be?" He asked his friend.

Roman peered back up and didn't answer for a moment. He held a look as though he knew exactly what he was doing. It was a notion Theo often strived for, yet many times, fell short of. It was a notion that Roman nailed every time. He began to stand from his chair and dust off the underside of his pants, making them as tidy as possible. "...Unexpected, my friend... Unexpected. Just like the fact that I must leave now. Sorry we haven't had much time this week, but I've been called to a council meeting."

Theo managed a chuckle, finally accepting the fact that it was not his place to know yet, even though he had provided the basic template for the arena. "So, I'll meet you here at this same time next week then?"

He shook his head as he slowly began to leave from the patio of the restaurant. "I would very much like that to be so, but no. You won't see me for a long time. I am going on a trip to scope out new territory for this new arena. So, goodbye, dear friend, and... May the odds be ever in your favor..."

Theo smiled and waved as his friend turned to leave. After he turned the corner and passed out of sight, Theo himself decided it was time to travel home. He stood up, and reached for his crutch, yet didn't find it in time and lost his balance. His hand landed on the table and the tea cup that had rested on top of it toppled to the ground and shattered.

There was instantly an employee from the restaurant present to collect the pieces of broken china. "Did you have a stumble, sir?" She asked, seeming slightly annoyed. "Would you like me to help you?"

"No, I've got it." Theo replied, placing his crutch under his shoulder. He refused her hand extended toward him and began walking down the street in the opposite direction Roman walked to his home. It was a nice feeling, to sit down. He almost forgot it was a struggle to move anywhere, and an even larger struggle to evade people's looks of mild disdain. Perhaps they didn't look down on Roman for being a dwarf, but Theo's bad leg and bad eye always seemed to make him a target.

He wondered if it would ever be any different. Maybe there would come a day when he could walk upright and could pass amongst the residents of the Capital freely, but it was not today. And it wasn't tomorrow. But Theo knew tomorrow would be different in a way. Only it would be different for other reasons.

THE HUNGER GAMES

• Jesus. That was so good o_o these gamemakers seem interesting this year tbh

41% of readers chose to [B. Suggest an jungle setting.] "I was thinking a jungle would be a good setting." Theo said, scratching his ch

• Lol I'm sure they're interesting every year, they just don't do anything with them.

Jesus. That was so good o_o these gamemakers seem interesting this year tbh

• I loved this part again, it was great! I'm very excited for the arena, you did a great job in teasing something very unique here. Roman is surely a fascinating character by the way! Ever since you mentioned it, I can't stop imagening him as looking and sounding exactly like Peter Dinklage :D

41% of readers chose to [B. Suggest an jungle setting.] "I was thinking a jungle would be a good setting." Theo said, scratching his ch

• I know, that's exactly how I feel when writing him haha.

I loved this part again, it was great! I'm very excited for the arena, you did a great job in teasing something very unique here. Roman is s

• Well then. Looks like this year's tributes are pretty screwed.

Great chapter!!!

• Where is everyone at? D:

• Screwed tributes, all of them

Awesome part!

• I just noticed that all of the tribute placements are now filled woo! :D

• Is this still going on? :(

• Yeah it is. I'm still in the outlining stages so it'll get faster later. I just don't want to set off without knowing exactly where I'm going.

Is this still going on?

• No problemo for me. Quality above quantity.

Yeah it is. I'm still in the outlining stages so it'll get faster later. I just don't want to set off without knowing exactly where I'm going.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.