TFTB Vs. Life Is Strange

Comments

• I strangely never felt that the dialogues are cliche.

Flog61 posted: »

In an interactive story game, choice and consequence is also one of the most important aspects. Telltale do dialogue better than Dontnod, Do

• LIS. Like I've said before Tales doesn't have any appeal to me and it's far from the best Telltale game imo

• Same. I don't know why is there such a problem with dialogues. They seem well-written and well-fitting to me.

I strangely never felt that the dialogues are cliche.

• Ooooo, sounds good. If LIS really is so thought provoking and deep, I wish the dialogue wasn't so lols worthy.

One of the most disappointing things in Telltale games is the lack of impact some of your 'choices' make, so it sure is nice another episodic game has got that right.

Flog61 posted: »

In an interactive story game, choice and consequence is also one of the most important aspects. Telltale do dialogue better than Dontnod, Do

• I will go with TFTB. Note that these are completely different games with different athmospheres. I am a borderlands fan and TFTB is funnier also it includes the characthers we know from borderlands.

• Alt text

Green613 posted: »

I haven't even played LiS yet but since this is the Telltale forum and I'm biased as FUCK TFTBL is so much better

• TFTB it's really good at what it's supposed to be, a comedy game with a little bit of drama/action, i'd put this game on TWDS1 level.

But LiS...

-The soundtrack is top notch.

-The game looks beautiful.

-So far, i've encountered the following emotions playing this game: Sadness, happiness, relief, guilt, regret. uneasiness, anxiety, surprise, anger, sympathy, despair and i probably missed some.

-Consistent story.

-Gameplay mechanics that are not QTE.

-The freedom to just chill and being able to interact with almost everything within eyesight.

-Choices appear to meaningful, even small ones that happened 3 episodes ago. When episode 5 comes we'll know for sure, but so far it's looking good.

-If you like references and easter eggs, you'll be pleased.

-Optional filler content, such as the diary or trying to take every photo

-You can rewind and you'll still be conflicted about many decisions

-Original IP, you are not going to miss anything because you didn't play prequels or earlier games from the same franchise.

And i'll stop because this post might be long enough already.

• You missed disgust and horror, I think. Great list btw.

Zumoshiteki posted: »

TFTB it's really good at what it's supposed to be, a comedy game with a little bit of drama/action, i'd put this game on TWDS1 level. But

• edited August 2015

I actually disagree and think that Game of Thrones is the best episodic game out right now ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Neither Tales or Life is Strange are that good imo but if I had to choose it'd be Tales (yet to see Ep4 of Life though so that could change)

• LiS for now thanks to last episode. But I want to see both games finished first.

• Bigby is the best.

Cope49 posted: »

Neither . TWAU beats them both .

• Same

Tolispro posted: »

I like Game Of Thrones more than both tftb and lis Got>tftb>Lis

• Life is strange is good, but my least favourite episodic game... There are really great parts in it but the constant movie references are starting to annoy me, the stupid things also.

TFTB is waaaay better, I'm absolutely crazy about this game. Tales is pure fun, love and glory! :]

• I couldn't agree more, TWAU for life

Cope49 posted: »

Neither . TWAU beats them both .

• edited August 2015

Life is strange has that special charm in it but I like TFTBL more. I'm crazy about Tales, it has everything a TTG fan could as for. I really think that the writing in Tales is outstandingly good. I still enjoy LiS a lot and I'm happy to see that TTG is not the only one making episodic games.

• Tales from the Borderlands by a long shot imo. A fun and we'll written story with all characters being likeable as hell.

• TFTB has no hipsters in it, so without even played LiS, I think TFTB wins for me anyway.

• To all who don't bow down to TFTBL

enter image description here

Tales wins by just the fact of it being a "mixed bag" of genres. It's mainly comedy, but sometimes it's serious. It's romansical. It's shocking. It's almost errythang. LiS is mainly Cereal bidniss.

• TFTBL is simply amazing. Top favorite episodic series.

• edited August 2015

I enjoy Life is Strange, but I don't think it is a good game. While there are some good moments in the game, and I give it credit for tackling a few social issues in a game, to me it suffers in a few areas

The writing and voice acting are a mixed bag. At times the dialogue is fine, but at most times it really feels like a middle-aged person's interpretation of white American teenagers, to the point where I find it hard to take the characters seriously and either cringe or laugh my ass off, but not in the way the developers intended.

Uninteresting characters. With the exception of Kate, David, and Chloe, I'm not drawn into the characters in Life is Strange. They are either bland or are voiced horribly to catch my interest. Because of that there are parts where unless it was required to advance the game, I didn't bother to interact with the other characters in the game. Max, imo, is a very wooden protagonist. Some would say that is the point, but outside of her powers, I don't find her to be a compelling character.

Time rewind mechanic is so far more of a narrative device than an interesting game mechanic that gets old after a while and in the earlier episodes there were time when the game forced you to make the correct choices, instead of choices that were available and that you wanted to make.

I also feel like the middle sections of each episode are really tedious. Whether its trying to find all the bottles in the junkyard or trying to prove to Chloe at the dinner that you have time-manipulation.

So yeah. Tales for the Borderlands>>>>Life is Strange

It has better characters, story, pacing, and I don't have to deal with tedious puzzles like in Life is Strange.

• Same here.

• Trust me, the dialogue does not get that much better, True, Dontnod does choices better than Telltale in terms of narrative branching, but if you don't care of the characters then you probably aren't going to care as much about the impact of your choices.

Ooooo, sounds good. If LIS really is so thought provoking and deep, I wish the dialogue wasn't so lols worthy. One of the most disappoint

• Tales is a game where stereotypes are used masterfully for the game's benefit, LIS is a game where stereotypes ARE the game. So Tales >>>>>>>>>>>>> LIS

• Two very different games in terms of genre but similar in terms of gameplay. I would have to say Tales from the Borderlands is the better game. Because I haven't found any character in Tales from the Borderlands that I disliked so far, the voice acting is top notch and the characters are not over exaggerated stereotypes . However, in Life is Strange I've found a lot of the voice acting to be absolutely atrocious (Especially skater dude) and the dialogue is** hella** cringeworthy at times, and because of this I end up not liking a bunch of the characters. Although I really do like the time travelling part, it can add plot holes to certain scenes that make me go, "Wh-Why couldn't I have just rewound time and did THIS?".

It's a real shame cause I do really like Life is Strange and I consider it to be one of the best games I've played this year so far. The story is really fantastic, and by the end of every episode my jaw is usually hanging wide open because of the twists and turns. Especially Episode 4 which really messed me up.

But overall, Tales is the better game to me. It actually makes me want to give a shit about the people in it and what I say.

• For some reason, I just can't get invested in Tales. I dislike the atmosphere and I'm completely uninterested in where the plot is going. I can bear the forced humour every second line (the only part that genuinely make me chuckle was when Sasha lets go of Rhys last episode), but as a result, I can't take the game seriously. It probably isn't supposed to be, though. To be honest, my only regret is that while Tales can safely be considered the most "advanced" Telltale series in terms of content, choices and details, I'm enjoying it the least.

• Sammeee!

• I personally think GoT is currently the best episodic game out right now. With that being said, I still think Tales tops LiS by alot lol.

• Mixed bag

I enjoy Life is Strange, but I don't think it is a good game. While there are some good moments in the game, and I give it credit for tackli

• They're both amazing, even if I'm not a huge Borderlands fan I really enjoy Tales and TTG is doing a great job. That being said, I'm more for the dark-and-serious-what-the-hell-is-going-on type of game, so I choose Life is Strange.

And excuse me, but I don't get why people who haven't played LiS say that TftBl is better and vice versa, how would you know?

• So you prefer LiS?

SpineLine posted: »

For some reason, I just can't get invested in Tales. I dislike the atmosphere and I'm completely uninterested in where the plot is going. I

• Most likely they watched walkthrough's of the episodes.

Miklaus posted: »

They're both amazing, even if I'm not a huge Borderlands fan I really enjoy Tales and TTG is doing a great job. That being said, I'm more fo

• Haha right well written.

DoubleJump posted: »

Tales from the Borderlands by a long shot imo. A fun and we'll written story with all characters being likeable as hell.

• Agreed.

Suzy222 posted: »

I personally think GoT is currently the best episodic game out right now. With that being said, I still think Tales tops LiS by alot lol.

• I don't have to deal with tedious puzzles like in Life is Strange.

It's weird reading this because just months ago people were complaining about disliking Telltale games for not having enough puzzles.

I enjoy Life is Strange, but I don't think it is a good game. While there are some good moments in the game, and I give it credit for tackli

• Yep, it is.

Haha right well written.

• LIS is a game where stereotypes ARE the game.

Fun Fact: The Creators actually went for this in the first episode, they wanted to use the stereotypical archetypes of teen drama and then develop them over time.

Tales is a game where stereotypes are used masterfully for the game's benefit, LIS is a game where stereotypes ARE the game. So Tales >>>>>>>>>>>>> LIS

• edited August 2015

You're not bound to get a lot of balanced responses here. Someone should find a Life is Strange forum and post this same thread, see what happens.

• That's a really risky move that I can't say that they completely accomplished. I mean I care about Kate, Warren, and Chloe was surprisingly great in episode 4, but everybody else still seems like a lame stereotype of how teenagers act. I hope they take feedback about the side characters, so that they could improve them once Season 2 hits.

LIS is a game where stereotypes ARE the game. Fun Fact: The Creators actually went for this in the first episode, they wanted to use the stereotypical archetypes of teen drama and then develop them over time.

• I personally liked it. You're right though, it was extremely risky and lost them customers, but hey...It's your artistic vision, don't change it for a few people, right?

That's a really risky move that I can't say that they completely accomplished. I mean I care about Kate, Warren, and Chloe was surprisingly

• Right :)

I personally liked it. You're right though, it was extremely risky and lost them customers, but hey...It's your artistic vision, don't change it for a few people, right?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.