IGNs Ep4 review - Ignorance at its finest (Spoilers)

Let me just take a few quotes from the review. (Spoilers incoming from my side)

"While I still adore this world and its fantastic characters, Episode 4 doesn't capture the same intruiging story progression and amazing character development of its predecessors"
-Rhys relatio to Fiona and Sasha can be changed
-Fionas relation to Scooter can be changed
-Rhys gets huge character development, especially in the Jack scenes
-Jack gets huge character development
-This episode progressed the story far more than the other episodes. It even progressed the story more than the whole Pre-Sequel. Jack taking over Helios can be huge for BL3
Those were facts. Undeniable. Objective.

"[...]. While all of this sounds fantastic on paper, the entire episode feels either painfully plodding, or noticeably rushed."
-It had some of the best dialogue in any Telltale Game ever. The humor was ridiculously good.
-The scenes were rather well animated in comparison to other TTG episodes. Especially the extremely funny finger gun fighting scene in the Hyperion Hub of Heroism.

"Most of the scenes don't really add anything to the overarching story, and honestly feel unnecessary"
-Talked about that in the first point

"I don't feel like I know any more about the story's mysteries than I did at the end of Episode 3"
-We learn more details about the Vault. That it is the Vault of the Traveller and it teleports minute to minute
-We learn what Gorty's ability is - to stop the teleportations of the Vault so that you can actually enter it

"Characters like Gortys and Athena who really shined in part 3 either take a back seat, or simply aren't present at all."
-Did you even play the Pre-Sequel? She's in Sanctuary with Lilith/Brick/Mordecai/Crimson Raiders. If you didnt play it, you shouldnt be allowed to review this.
-Gortys was there almost all the time and had lots of dialogue.

"While Rhys and Fiona are still at the forefront of the action, they aren't really paired up with anyone interesting, which keeps their character development to a minimum"
-Rhys is with Jack and gets tons of character development through Jack. Also, Jack is only miiildly interesting to the plot of the whole franchise sarcasm
-Fiona is with Gortys. Earlier you said that Gortys didnt appear often enough. You clearly dont make any sense.

"[...] even the most emotional moment of the episode feels like it comes out of nowhere"
-Cause an overly predictable plot is good now? I thought shocking moments were good in Telltale Games. The other Telltale Games dont warn you when you kill off a character. Did you ever play one of these?

"Sadly, these memorable scenes [talking about the finger gun fight and funny dialogue] are padded by events that don't really move the overall story forward, or teach us anything about the characters we've grown to love"
-Again, adressed this earlier.

6.0/10.0
What a terrible review.

Comments

• edited August 2015

Unlike Ep3 I wasnt bored for a second,I loved this episode so much!Fuck IGN!

• I think we all know what IGN stands for now...

IGNorance

• IGN's review process wrapped up in 15 seconds.

enter link description here

• Fixed some of the formatting in your post.

• Wow that wasnt even intentional in my title xD

Jacol posted: »

I think we all know what IGN stands for now... IGNorance

• I did my duty...

enter image description here

• edited August 2015

Even though I hate IGN, I find myself agreeing with a lot of the points they made. Actually, no, all of them.

• The only point I could agree on is the length of the episode, even though it felt like more than 2 hours for me cause I was constantly hooked (took about 1.5 hours in reality)

aldimon posted: »

Even though I hate IGN, I find myself agreeing with a lot of the points they made. Actually, no, all of them.

• The first half was great, the intro was fantastic, but the second half (everything on Hyperion) felt incredibly rushed, I missed character development, basically the group was split up the whole time and we didn't get any of the gorgeous group dynamic from the previous episodes. I know a lot of people love the episode, and I'm not trying to be some kind of fucktard who tries to talk shit about it... but it was very disappointing to me. Weakest episode so far.

But still, thinking about the intro give me goosebumps. That was pure perfection.

Lewt_Shogun posted: »

The only point I could agree on is the length of the episode, even though it felt like more than 2 hours for me cause I was constantly hooked (took about 1.5 hours in reality)

• This is the wrong way of doing it. You should make counter arguments to everything like in the OP instead of telling them "you suck ass". Right now it looks like you are a 12 year old who just got access to the internet and thinks everything online is anonymous.

I did my duty...

• It was satisfyin tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reliqum posted: »

This is the wrong way of doing it. You should make counter arguments to everything like in the OP instead of telling them "you suck ass". Ri

• It really took me two hours, and the same thing goes for Gamesradar and Hardcore Player, maybe it was because I spent time interacting with what was interactable and listened to all lines by waiting a few seconds before picking my dialogue choice. The only point I might agree with is the lack of as many action sequences as the other episodes had, but, seriously, All of them are nothing compared to the finger shootout (which is one of the two things even IGN managed to appreciate)

Lewt_Shogun posted: »

The only point I could agree on is the length of the episode, even though it felt like more than 2 hours for me cause I was constantly hooked (took about 1.5 hours in reality)

• Aldimon you have every right
    To dislike the episode, but you say that for most of the episode the group is split and that makes you miss the dynamic, and I'm here asking myself "doesn't the group always split up for a good amount of time?" In Episode 1 they spend more time separated than united, in Episode 2 it's half/half or majorly split, it depends on your choices. In Episode 3 is half/half regardless and in Episode 4 the group is also half/half, so nothing really changed from the old formula.

The first half was great, the intro was fantastic, but the second half (everything on Hyperion) felt incredibly rushed, I missed character d

• You're absolutely right, but in this episode, a lot of the characters wander around alone. In the previous episodes, even if they split up, we always have at least a group of two, so we get some funky dialogue, the characters have the chance to grow on each other - that was missing in this episode. I know the story kinda forces it that way, I just wish it would have been different. It feels like this is the episode where we had the least dialogue options and hub areas where we could really walk around, talk and scan stuff. That's what I loved about the previous episodes so much - they were overflowing with the love the developers put into them. I didn't feel any of that in the second part of the episode. :/

Aldimon you have every right To dislike the episode, but you say that for most of the episode the group is split and that makes you miss th

• Well, I'm sorry that you didn't feel that, I did. Though I hope you at least felt the respect of Telltale for this universe and all its characteristics, because it especially shows itself in this episode. About the pairing, Fiona was with Gortys and Rhys with Jack, but I get that that's not enough for you and I understand. I hope your hype for Ep 5 will still be high nonetheless when it'll be on its
    Way.

You're absolutely right, but in this episode, a lot of the characters wander around alone. In the previous episodes, even if they split up,

• Rhys with Jack and Fiona with Gortys - that's not exactly the group dynamic I was talking about. I'm talking about the four protagonists, which are the strongest characters in the game and are separated for basically the entire second half, which took a lot of the TftB feeling away, at least for me.

And I'm surely looking forward to the final episodes. Episode 1 and 3 were absolutely fantastic. I'll be surprised if episode 5 won't deliver.

Well, I'm sorry that you didn't feel that, I did. Though I hope you at least felt the respect of Telltale for this universe and all its char

• TFTB isn't the only victim of this injustice. They pulled the same bullshit with LIS episode 4. Like I said biggest pigs and cunts in all of gaming

IGNorant

• Yeah, I guessed that.

Glad to hear it.

Rhys with Jack and Fiona with Gortys - that's not exactly the group dynamic I was talking about. I'm talking about the four protagonists, wh

• I respectfully disagree with the review.

• They pulled the same bullshit with LIS episode 4

I actually agreed with a few of the points Mitch made in that review, and I know a few other critics and players feel the same or mostly the same way as Mitch. At the end of the day, most of the whining from posters on IGN- and apparently here- comes off as people butthurt over someone's unpopular opinion.

Clemenem posted: »

TFTB isn't the only victim of this injustice. They pulled the same bullshit with LIS episode 4. Like I said biggest pigs and cunts in all of gaming IGNorant

• come on guys i think we all know what the problem here is

they just don't like episode 4 of any game obviously duh

• butthurt

Very mature... I've seen you shit on LIS all over the forums now. IGN is corrupt and it's been proven several times over with things such as taking bribes and infiltration. Posters make legitimate and valid complaints about IGN's bias.

They pulled the same bullshit with LIS episode 4 I actually agreed with a few of the points Mitch made in that review, and I know a

• *Penultimate episodes

Jewfreeus posted: »

come on guys i think we all know what the problem here is they just don't like episode 4 of any game obviously duh

• LiS: 6 TFTBL: 6 GoT: 6.5 TWD S1: 7.5 TWD S2: 6 TWAU: 6

Can't spell Ignorance without IGN. They are terrible at reviewing games -_-

• edited August 2015

Very mature

Thanks.

I've seen you shit on LIS all over the forums now

Yes I have because imo I do not think it is a good game, just okay. I am enjoying the more recent episodes though, but that first episode was just painful to get through.

Posters make legitimate and valid complaints about IGN's bias.

They do. Don't know why they are still there if all they do is complain about the site, but hey. I also don't see how that relates to the authors opinion of Lis or TFB Ep 4

butthurt Very mature... I've seen you shit on LIS all over the forums now. IGN is corrupt and it's been proven several times over wi

• They won't give up the penultimate curse.

come on guys i think we all know what the problem here is they just don't like episode 4 of any game obviously duh

• why is IGN even a company??

• "the entire episode feels either painfully plodding, or noticeably rushed."

The guy who wrote this review knows that these are two completely different things, yes?

• This hurts to look at

• Yes I have because imo I do not think it is a good game, just okay. I am enjoying the more recent episodes though, but that first episode was just painful to get through.

Ok. In some areas I agree about the first.

They do. Don't know why they are still there if all they do is complain about the site, but hey. I also don't see how that relates to the authors opinion of Lis or TFB Ep 4

Because they're known in the world of gaming for bad reviews and poor reasoning. Every fourth episode of an interactive game in recent memory has ranged around a 6 when rated by IGN some are righteous imo and some are completely wrong or ham fested

Very mature Thanks. I've seen you shit on LIS all over the forums now Yes I have because imo I do not think it is a go

• Truer words have never been spoken

Wolfenus54 posted: »

LiS: 6 TFTBL: 6 GoT: 6.5 TWD S1: 7.5 TWD S2: 6 TWAU: 6 Can't spell Ignorance without IGN. They are terrible at reviewing games -_-

• Yeah, and I'm only watching the IGN reviews just to see how bad they are and laugh at them :')

Truer words have never been spoken

• IGN is shit nothing new enter image description here

• They're okay.

Wolfenus54 posted: »

LiS: 6 TFTBL: 6 GoT: 6.5 TWD S1: 7.5 TWD S2: 6 TWAU: 6 Can't spell Ignorance without IGN. They are terrible at reviewing games -_-

• Because they're known in the world of gaming for bad reviews and poor reasoning.

I think its foolish to invalidate an authors opinion of something- to the point of saying that the author who wrote the review was ignorant- just because of the reputation of the site or you just disagreeing with his points.

Yes I have because imo I do not think it is a good game, just okay. I am enjoying the more recent episodes though, but that first episode wa

• edited August 2015

A spreading disease :(

• The finger gun fight tho.....stupidest thing I've ever watch/played. They should have cut that out of the game.

• Eh, if you don't enjoy stupid things perhaps Borderlands isn't the series for you. At all.

Cope49 posted: »

The finger gun fight tho.....stupidest thing I've ever watch/played. They should have cut that out of the game.

• Ever since the "to much water" I think.

• I enjoyed that quite a bit though. It fit with nerdy Hyperion and Rhys.

Cope49 posted: »

The finger gun fight tho.....stupidest thing I've ever watch/played. They should have cut that out of the game.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.